PI Audio Group Diffusers

bdp24

PI Audio Group Diffusers
« on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:40 am »
All right GR Research peoples, I'm asking here about the PI diffusers here since so many of ya'll have OB-type speakers, and are also owners of PI Group products. I have all planar dipoles (ESL, Magnetic-Planar, Ribbon), and my new room is turning out to be very warm, non-reflective, and quiet. I love the quiet, but the lack of high-frequency energy in the room not so much. Even though my side walls are completely lined floor-to-ceiling with LP's and CD"s, the wall-to-wall carpet and ASC Tube Trap-loaded corners are making for an overly-dead room.

I am going to add sets of PI Audio Group Diffusers on the wall behind my speaker locations (5' from that wall), and I'm wondering which version of their diffusers will reflect and maintain the most midrange and high frequency reflections and energy coming at them from the rear of my speakers, plus whatever reflected energy comes their way. Would that be the AQD (vertical ribs and wells, which scatter sound horizontally only), or the ABB1dcs---aka Mr.T (double cuts, for vertical and horizontal scattering) diffusers? I've read some that say vertical ribs and wells make for more high frequency energy in a room, and I've also read from others the exact opposite. Opinions or experience welcomed!
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2017, 12:28 pm by bdp24 »

Captainhemo

Re: PI Audio Group Diffusers
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2017, 04:37 pm »
Hey Erc 
Have you given  Dave a call and talked to him about this ?  I'm sure you realize this, he  did  create the MR T's ( 2 direction hemicylindrical patern) with OB use in  mind. As you said,  the  AQD's are a  sinlge hemicylindrical pattern and only  diffuse in one direction.  I know  they used to  offer the AQD's in a 2' x 2' confurgation as well, this allowed them to be alternately placed ona  wall or ceiling  and apparently  yeilded execellkent resuslts.
Give him a call and let him know what's  happening in your room

jay

bdp24

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2017, 10:03 pm »
Thanks for that info Jay, I did not know. I've emailed a little with Greg about them, but if Dave's the designer I should pick his brain. Greg did mention the diffusers are available in the 2' x 2' size, which makes shipping to the west coast cheaper than the 2' x 4' size. PI has a Canadian company also making the diffusers, and Washington state is almost in Canada!---Eric.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2017, 04:21 am »
Shooting you  an email eric

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2017, 04:31 am »
What type of material do you use to paint/dye these?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2017, 09:21 pm »
What type of material do you use to paint/dye these?

Mike

Should be fine with anything water based  Mike, just stay away from the solvent based stuff, it'll  "eat'  them

jay