A Few Well Tempered Classic Pics

code4246

Re: A Few Well Tempered Classic Pics
« Reply #20 on: 1 Mar 2012, 10:13 pm »
Hi Vic,

Your arm is basically stock with some Frankenstein mods;

- the armtube as previously discussed
- here integrated bearing cup and arm platform,
- the assembly to the left of the bearing cup, what is it ?
- the key on top of the main column
- the Allen bolt on the front of the main column
- the separate arm rest

Personally I wouldn't bother with the black platter upgrade, I preferred the sound of the original clear platter.

AFAIK the main bearing cups were the same, the difference was the flange on the spindle was bigger on later models, so if you have a black platter in mind check that its got the right sized hole for your spindle or change your spindle to match the platter.

Probably not.

No I don't.

cheers,

ulysses

« Reply #21 on: 2 Mar 2012, 12:04 am »
Vic,

I was unable to contact Jorge Crinton by email (undeliverable) or by Goggle search. Darn! On the bright side, I saved some money for an Amadeus (or more likely for a new Cartridge Man Music Maker Classic SE or Soundsmith cartridge for my Well Tempered)!

Phil

Vic

« Reply #22 on: 2 Mar 2012, 04:32 am »
Code, thanks for your help. Here's the link to the tone arm lift. Looks like they've made them a little more elegant.

http://www.soundscapehifi.com/expressimo.htm#LIFT

I should point out that I just found an out of production Audio Technica AT6006 Safety Raiser to replace the early Expressimo lift.
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2012, 09:57 am by Vic »

code4246

« Reply #23 on: 5 Mar 2012, 02:38 am »
Very nice indeed.

It should work better than the thing I had back in the 70's that was so violent it would send the poor tonearm into low orbit.

daveyonthecoast

« Reply #24 on: 29 Mar 2014, 02:13 am »
Hello Frend
I have a Well Tempered lab that tonearm, needs attention who did you sent it to?
many Thanks
David

Vic

« Reply #25 on: 5 Apr 2014, 12:11 pm »
Hello Frend
I have a Well Tempered lab that tonearm, needs attention who did you sent it to?
many Thanks
David

Davey, sorry for the delay, I don't frequent this site that often. Another person in this thread attempted to contact the fellow who did my arm. I'm guessing he is no longer doing the work.

I'm not sure just how much you need in the way of "attention." My tonearm was originally metal tubing that was violently bent when I purchased the table. If your problem is this severe there is carbon fiber tubing available that fits the T-paddle. Fabricating a new wand would require an Dremel type tool to make the exit hole for the wire leads. Some shrink rap applied to the middle section of the wand as damping material.

If your issues are filament related then you'll have to acquire some new silicone for the paddle before draining. Once drained and cleaned you should be able to do the filament work yourself. It's not rocket science but it may require some patients. Keep in mind the paddle needs to be located as low in the cup as possible without touching or bottoming the cup during record play and cueing.

Before you get started take some detailed images to refer back to during reassembly. Pay close attention to how the filament is wound around the azimuth adjustment spindle. When you've finished you'll have an intimate knowledge of just how simply effective this design is. My only issue with it is the amount of time you need to let the paddle settle in the silicon when making adjustments.

I have a test record that has a tonearm resonance test track that simply feeds the stylist lower and lower resonance. In my experience the only tonearm that can track the entire resonance test is the Well Tempered. Everything else comes flying out of the track.