A Few Well Tempered Classic Pics

Vic

A Few Well Tempered Classic Pics
« on: 26 Feb 2012, 11:07 pm »
This is my Well Tempered Labs Classic Turntable. I purchased this in just barely working condition for $200. The plinth had a drinking glass stain with MDF showing through and various divots. Something fell on the then metal tonearm bending to the point were it almost touched the record surface. Equipped with an O-ring belt and an Audio Technica cartridge that wasn't included.

With the cartridge at an unbelievably crooked relation to the record surface the seller actually queued up a record and the true brilliance of the Firebaugh design availed itself by playing a record. There isn't another gimbaled tonearm on the planet that could have withstood such trauma and still make reasonably good music. He looked up at me with a slight grin as if to say, "See, it works perfectly." 

In removing the cartridge the seller revealed the reason why this sad turntable was in its present condition. Obviously fascinated by the hobby he possessed ten thumbs and snagging the cantilever on his sweaters sleeve. Without uttering a sound of frustration or a gesture of embarrassment he glanced at the cartridge that 'wasn't included in the sale' and actually made the shot into the nearby waste basket. Two points for me, one less thing.

Leaving the sellers home with the turntable on the passenger side floor of my car I had the feeling that I had just rescued a mistreated animal.

This is an older Classic with a small cup and a two prong plug square motor. I sent the paddle and arm assembly off to have,"The Hero," aftermarket carbon arm with a meter length of silver phono lead installed into the paddle. The phono leads plug directly into the pre amp.

While the tonearm was away I refinished the plinth and drilled the tonearm tower to accept a thumb screw to aid in adjusting VTA.

ulysses

Re: A Few Well Tempered Classic Pics
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2012, 02:07 am »
Vic,

Thanks for posting the interesting story, and good recycling job! I've owned an original Well Tempered table and arm since 1988. In the intervening years I've found many ways to improve setup and to modify my table and arm. They just keep sounding better and better - so good, in fact, that I can't justify purchasing a newer table and arm (well, maybe an Amadeus when I can find an inexpensive used table). I'm currently in the process of ordering the new upgrade motor pulley (that uses a polyester thread) from Mike Pranka. Someday I'll disassemble everything and sand and paint the base like you did.

Who does "The Hero" carbon fiber arm and silver phono interconnect modifications? I did a Google search but can't find anything.

Thanks again!

Phil

Vic

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2012, 04:16 am »
Phil, I had the arm done in 2003 so I'm sure if this information is any good.

The Super Hero tonearm by Jorge Crinton shero@ahora.net

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2012, 10:37 am »
Great write up!
There are an awful lot of variants on the basic design, aren't there?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2012, 11:02 am »
well, maybe an Amadeus when I can find an inexpensive used table)

Good luck with that. I'm sure I probably missed it, but I have not seen a single used Amadeus since it was introduced.

Shakey

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2012, 04:33 pm »
Nice post! Good to hear it went to a good home. My previous REF table that I bought secondhand had a beer ring as well, which buffed out nicely. Such abuse that goes on out there, I tell ya!
Why the carbon arm? Now you know that's not Firebaugh approved...:)

Vic

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2012, 09:19 pm »
["Why the carbon arm? Now you know that's not Firebaugh approved..."]

By now with the availability of replacement parts what it is the Well Tempered has become my Volkswagen of turntables, and I've had many, Volkswagens that is.

I don't believe the tonearm wand by itself was available when I did the truntable resurrection. Its sand filled and the $3500 cartridge hanging on the end certainly adds a little respectability, don't you think?

Still have my eye out for the later version Square motor.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2012, 10:12 pm »
Killer bug. Love it.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2012, 11:05 pm »
You made me realise that I have to flip my square motor around to hide the wiring. :oops:

Sometime back someone asked about shining up the plinths - lemon oil works well (or anything that contains lemon oil).
Time to flip my motor around!

ulysses

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:14 am »
Vic,

Thanks for the information on the arm modifications. I'll try and track Jorge down.

I also loved the photos of your gorgeous VW Beetle convertible. Is it a 1967 (the first year with a 12 volt electrical system and the last year with the old-style bumpers)? I drove Beetles for 19 years and helped pay for my undergrad degree in the 1960s by working on fellow students' Beetles. My last Beetle, and my favorite, was a cream colored 1967. I had to sell it in 1982 after my wife and I had a baby and needed a larger car. I still miss that car.

Phil

code4246

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:58 am »
Welcome.

The square motor version you have is more correctly known as the Well Tempered Turntable.

"Classic" was the name given to the Transparent made round motored turntable.

Interesting pictures.

Why is the motor block so far inwards ?

Is that a non-standrad belt ?

Correctly placed, the motor block should sit flush with the edge of the turntable plinth.

gagamut

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2012, 12:21 pm »
Hi Vic,after i saw your photo,i think you need to adjust your counterweight,i mean the screw of the counterweight  should place to 12 O'clock position,more balance. :D

Vic

« Reply #12 on: 29 Feb 2012, 01:28 am »
Welcome.

The square motor version you have is more correctly known as the Well Tempered Turntable.

"Classic" was the name given to the Transparent made round motored turntable.

Interesting pictures.

Why is the motor block so far inwards ?

Is that a non-standrad belt ?

Correctly placed, the motor block should sit flush with the edge of the turntable plinth.

Code, interesting. My friend has the same square motor deck with a Player style tonearm. Was there ever a differentiation between the two?

The only belts I've been able to find are these narrower 1/8" belts which stretch over time. When they're new I run the motor closer to the plater, works just fine. Can't do that with the round motor.

Hi Vic,after i saw your photo,i think you need to adjust your counterweight,i mean the screw of the counterweight  should place to 12 O'clock position,more balance. :D

gagamut, good one, thank you. I never noticed that. I wish those had a vernier adjustment.

Vic

« Reply #13 on: 29 Feb 2012, 02:56 am »
Vic,

Thanks for the information on the arm modifications. I'll try and track Jorge down.

I also loved the photos of your gorgeous VW Beetle convertible. Is it a 1967 (the first year with a 12 volt electrical system and the last year with the old-style bumpers)? I drove Beetles for 19 years and helped pay for my undergrad degree in the 1960s by working on fellow students' Beetles. My last Beetle, and my favorite, was a cream colored 1967. I had to sell it in 1982 after my wife and I had a baby and needed a larger car. I still miss that car.

Phil

Phil, good luck with that information I gave you. I tried Googling him and Google went French. If memory serves me he was in Puerto Rico. I didn't try the email.

Yeah, I think the 67 was the last year Germany exported them. The 67 had quite a few unique 67 only parts. I used the wiper motor, master brake cylinder, 12 volt electrics. "How did the snow plow driver get to the snow plow?"

That 1966 was my last in a long line of Volkswagens. I bought it from the original owner a University Of California Berkeley Librarian. It sat outside the last two years she owned it so the rear deck behind the rear seat and, of course the battery sump were a little cheesy. The car was absolutly complete right down to the little aluminum serial number key tab and all the paper. It was red with black interior. The only NOS part I had trouble replacing was one visor.

My goal was to build a stock looking road car with the emphasis on handling and power. I left the body and interior stock. Not wanting to touch the original deck lid I hammer welded a Ghia deck lid vent onto a new sedan lid. I needed way more air into the engine. Two liter engine, forged Scat crank, new Mexican case, everything else was Gene Berg. 7.5-1 comp. Dyno'd at 176 HP, 1872 lb.. Four wheel disk breaks, 67 dual master cylinder. The car was very fast, a real sleeper. Eventually, I grew tired of the perpetual 600 mile valve adjustments so I let it go.

My proudest achievement was designing an adjustable rear sway bar for a swing axle. A sliding bushing mount attached to the engine horns and a relatively simple link rod and bracket mount on the lower shock mounts. The trick was to set the bolts at the horn bushings finger tight, drive the car a short distance to settle the suspension which would automatically locate the for and aft position of the sway bar. With the car still on the ground tighten up the horn bushings.

The car was a show winner many times in the late 80's. It won the VW Trends Editors Choice at a Vallejo Ca show with a cash prize. The car went on Ebay two years ago and is currently in a collection in Queensland Australia.       

code4246

« Reply #14 on: 29 Feb 2012, 04:03 am »
Code, interesting. My friend has the same square motor deck with a Player style tonearm. Was there ever a differentiation between the two?

The only belts I've been able to find are these narrower 1/8" belts which stretch over time. When they're new I run the motor closer to the plater, works just fine. Can't do that with the round motor.

Yes, the square cut-out does allow greater adjustment.

Differentiation between ?
The two arms ?
The two tables ?

Vic

« Reply #15 on: 29 Feb 2012, 07:21 am »
Yes, the square cut-out does allow greater adjustment.

Differentiation between ?
The two arms ?
The two tables ?

Would the same two decks with different tonearms have different names, i.e. Player or Classic?

code4246

« Reply #16 on: 29 Feb 2012, 10:50 pm »
Hello Vic,

The original Well Tempered turntable was never offered with the arm from the Record Player.

Any such hybrid was probably the result of an original WTT sustaining arm damage and the owner deciding to replace the arm with a less expensive Record Player arm.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 1 Mar 2012, 01:11 am »
After reading (and laughing my way through ) the initial post I don't find it too difficult to imagine the first arm being smashed to bits!  I wonder what he dropped on it?  Could be practically anything - bar bell, bag of groceries, deep sea fishing tackle box pops open and tuna fishing reel drops on it...

SET Man

« Reply #18 on: 1 Mar 2012, 01:30 am »
Hey!

Drinking glass stain? That TT definitely deserve better.

Good rescue and restoration job you did there. Wonder if that guy is now abusing another TT right now?

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

Vic

« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2012, 08:42 am »
Hello Vic,

The original Well Tempered turntable was never offered with the arm from the Record Player.

Any such hybrid was probably the result of an original WTT sustaining arm damage and the owner deciding to replace the arm with a less expensive Record Player arm.

OK, I get it now. I assumed Well Tempered offered the Player and the Classic from the beginning. If you don't mind I have some questions you might be able to answer?

Is the tonearm on my turntable an original version? I've noticed other twin pillar arms with the sort of sheet metal or player style paddle cup?

I realize Stanolog is no longer supplying parts. Do you have any idea what might have happened to him and the inventory? I was finally ready to upgrade the platter and the motor and I never thought to stay in touch.

Which spindle/cup did the black plater fit?

Was there a noticeable difference with the later square motor?

Lastly, do you know of any one who has replaced their motor with the Origin kit?