DAC suggestions - that play Redbook thru DSD

TomS

Re: DAC suggestions - that play Redbook thru DSD
« Reply #20 on: 3 Nov 2015, 10:16 pm »
New dac is in FedEx's hands. With any luck I will have it Friday.  :P :icon_lol: :green:
And that would be?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #21 on: 4 Nov 2015, 01:54 am »
Bricasti.

I went around and around between the M1, MSB Analog, Wavelength Crimson, PS Directstream, and even Lampi. Then I put an Yggy in the basket and slept on it and went right back to the M1 and pulled the trigger. Quite a difference in price there, but I really like what Schiit is doing. In the end I still wanted a full resolution player so I had to pass and bite the bullet for the expensive unit.

So with any luck I can get it by Friday and spend some time with it this weekend.

Rocket

« Reply #22 on: 4 Nov 2015, 02:02 am »
Hi Pete,

Your wife must hate you... :).  But seriously hope you enjoy your new dac and it works well with the rest of your system.  Btw your Salks are the best I've seen.

Cheers Rod

TomS

« Reply #23 on: 4 Nov 2015, 02:07 am »
Bricasti.

I went around and around between the M1, MSB Analog, Wavelength Crimson, PS Directstream, and even Lampi. Then I put an Yggy in the basket and slept on it and went right back to the M1 and pulled the trigger. Quite a difference in price there, but I really like what Schiit is doing. In the end I still wanted a full resolution player so I had to pass and bite the bullet for the expensive unit.

So with any luck I can get it by Friday and spend some time with it this weekend.
Sweet! I thought that room with their own monster amps and Tidal speakers was terrific.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #24 on: 4 Nov 2015, 02:23 am »
Hi Pete,

Your wife must hate you... :).  But seriously hope you enjoy your new dac and it works well with the rest of your system.  Btw your Salks are the best I've seen.

Cheers Rod

Hey Rod, my wife encouraged me to do what I thought was best. I am getting seriously serious about my system and I sure hope this last piece will rightfully elevate my system to even higher levels. When you consider my speakers, the Wells Innamorata amp, Silversmith cabling, Audio Magic Stealth XXX (now outfitted with Furutech's), and Dude preamp, I should be really cooking. And of course I will try the M1 direct to the amp to see how that sounds as well.

Potential future pieces might be a Salk Streamer and some tubed mono blocks.

Rocket

« Reply #25 on: 4 Nov 2015, 02:43 am »
Hi Pete,

So you have the perfect wife :) lucky you.  I can only imagine how good your systems sounds.  I bought a pair of Salk HT3's about 2 years ago and I'm very impressed with their sound.  Btw have you thought of trying a Bryston BDP as your source.  I recently retired from work and lashed out as I had wanted one for a few years and the improvement over my old CDP was not small. 

Good luck with your future upgrades.

Cheers Rod

Big Red Machine

« Reply #26 on: 4 Nov 2015, 03:51 am »
I use a HAL MS-2 server now. I am curious if the Salk unit will sound "better".

Never us a CDP.

jd3

« Reply #27 on: 5 Nov 2015, 08:13 pm »
Pete,
I've got one of Jim's streamers sitting idle.  Let me know if you want to try it out.

John

Phil A

« Reply #28 on: 5 Nov 2015, 08:37 pm »
I use a HAL MS-2 server now. I am curious if the Salk unit will sound "better".

Never us a CDP.

Let us know if you compare.  I have an MS-2 in the main system and an MS-3 in one back-up system.  I can easily rotate one to another back-up system..

Big Red Machine

« Reply #29 on: 5 Nov 2015, 09:09 pm »
Pete,
I've got one of Jim's streamers sitting idle.  Let me know if you want to try it out.

John

ooh, mmmm, I'll keep that on mind!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #30 on: 6 Nov 2015, 01:15 am »
You made the best choice with the M1. The PS Audio DSD DAC is in my personal experience a hugh POS at any price. Can't tell you how many people have fallen into that trap because of all the glowing reviews. Manages to sound dark And brittle at the same time. The M1 dac on the other hand is the best thing Ive heard until you reach the Berkeley reference dac almost twice the price.

Enjoy!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #31 on: 10 Nov 2015, 04:08 pm »
It is very nice. I need to spend some more time with it so I can write up a little review. Don't know how many AC'ers have one so I will share my experiences as soon as it makes sense. I am very happy with it.

mca

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2016, 04:41 pm »
Any updates on the Bricasti?