Odyssey Khartago or Emotiva XPA-100 Monoblocks?

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Odyssey Khartago or Emotiva XPA-100 Monoblocks?
« on: 2 Jan 2016, 11:42 pm »
I've been looking around for a used odyssey khartago amp for a 2 channel system I'm putting together. I was hoping to find one for around $600-$700. A local shop had one for $500 but I missed it. However, I just came across an opportunity to purchase a pair of emotiva xpa-100 mono blocks for $400. They're 2 years old and under warranty. Is $400 for the pair of monoblocks too good to pass up? Seems like a good deal. I could always start with this and then save up more and sell the emotivas later for a stratos or something else. What would you do?

I'll be using my peachtree nova for the preamp. Speakers will likely be Salk songtowers, kef r, ascend Sierra, Philharmonic, or maybe tannoy or totem. I'm starting with the amps and then I'll start working on speakers later. Thanks.

Charles Calkins

Re: Odyssey Khartago or Emotiva XPA-100 Monoblocks?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2016, 11:57 pm »
I've been looking around for a used odyssey khartago amp for a 2 channel system I'm putting together. I was hoping to find one for around $600-$700. A local shop had one for $500 but I missed it. However, I just came across an opportunity to purchase a pair of emotiva xpa-100 mono blocks for $400. They're 2 years old and under warranty. Is $400 for the pair of monoblocks too good to pass up? Seems like a good deal. I could always start with this and then save up more and sell the emotivas later for a stratos or something else. What would you do?

I'll be using my peachtree nova for the preamp. Speakers will likely be Salk songtowers, kef r, ascend Sierra, Philharmonic, or maybe tannoy or totem. I'm starting with the amps and then I'll start working on speakers later. Thanks.

abd1:

I had an Emotiva stereo amp. Lots of power. Good unit for the price. But in my system it made things sound a little harsh.
     I'd contact Klaus at Odyssey and tell him what you are looking for to run your system. You might be surprised at what he tells you.
     Klaus is not in this game to sell products you don't need. More $$$$ in his pocket is not the way he operates.
    Customer satisfaction is his goal.

Cheers
                                                             Charlie

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2016, 12:30 am »
Depends on what you're trying to do. Those amps are on two different levels. If you want a basic, low cost system, then the Emotiva amps will work. However, I wouldn't recommend mating Emotiva amps with Philharmonic or Salk speakers. That's a job for Odyssey.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2016, 01:05 am »
Depends on what you're trying to do. Those amps are on two different levels. If you want a basic, low cost system, then the Emotiva amps will work. However, I wouldn't recommend mating Emotiva amps with Philharmonic or Salk speakers. That's a job for Odyssey.

+1, they are in different leagues... The Odyssey you can have upgraded as well, but even in the lowest stock form it'll probably be more refined vs the Emotiva.