Joey DeFrancesco passed away

andy_c

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Joey DeFrancesco passed away
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2022, 10:57 pm »
Sads news to Jazz and Hammond fans, great musician.
RIP

jmolsberg

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2022, 12:00 am »
certainly greatness. RIP

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2022, 12:13 am »
Awwww that's sad.

He had been living here in Durham, NC after Branford Marsalis invited him to move here back 15-20 years ago, I guess. They did some projects together, Joey recorded for Brandford's label and they both taught at NC Central Univ jazz program in Durham.

I played one big band gig with him in southern CT, back in fall 1985! The bandleader was a trombonist, a cool guy, can't remember his name. Joey was very young, but he was already making a big splash by then. I remember having already read or heard about him before that gig. According to his obit, he must have been only 14 then! Wow, I thought he was older.

RIP Joey

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2022, 12:07 pm »
What a great musician.  It is always sad to see one of the elder statesmen pass away. Losing Joey, one of the current generation's true masters, at such a young age, stings particularly bad.

He will be (and already is) missed terribly. Prayers and positive thoughts for healing go out his family, friends, fellow musicians and fans.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2022, 11:25 pm »
Sad news, gone way too soon. RIP Joey