Driving Vandersteen VSMs

dminches

Driving Vandersteen VSMs
« on: 6 Mar 2013, 07:13 pm »
What amps are people using to drive VSMs?  I currently have a 5 channel Aragon 3005 driving 4 VSMs.  Most of the time the rear surrounds aren't even in the mix since most sound tracks are not 7.1.  I am curious what others are using.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Driving Vandersteen VSMs
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2013, 09:26 pm »
...uhh...what's a 'VSM'?

dminches

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2013, 09:37 pm »
VSM-1 or VSM-sig - surround speakers

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2013, 04:14 pm »
I use a pair of McCormack's 0.5 Dlx. One for the left and one for the right. It's kind a like having mono blocks for the surrounds. The left and right are completely separated from each other eliminating any potential for crosstalk. And since the back channels are a derivative of the sides then they share the same amp. My sides are Vandersteen's VSM-1 Signatures while the backs are VSM-1's. Hope that makes sense.

dmatt

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2013, 07:08 pm »
Dminches,

I have a McCormack DNA HT-5 powering the center (VCC-5), side surrounds (VSM Sig), and eventual rear surrounds (VSM -somethings, haven't decided yet.)  I had a great experience with the DNA-500 in my old 2ch set-up so I thought why not give McCormack a try for surround duty. The front L and R are on their own monoblocks. 

I woud like to also try a Parasound A 51 at some point, just for fun.  I use a Parasound P 7 for HT volume control.  If I won the lottery, I would buy a single Pass XA60.5 for the center and Pass XA30.5 for the right and left surrounds to match my front channel amps (Pass XA100.5) -- it's only money, right?.

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2013, 03:02 pm »
Is 30 WPC sufficient for the VSMs?

Maybe it is for a class A amp.