Trinaural/Trifield/VMPS/Distortion

rblnr

« on: 6 Jun 2003, 03:08 am »
As one of the advertised benefits of the RM40 vs. the LRC or 626R is roughly 1/4 the distortion through the midrange by dint of 4x the ribbon panels, is using a processor like the Trinaural or Meridian's Trifield, which I own, that uses the center channel heavily (say a 626R or LRC) in a RM40 mains setup thus introducing distortion vs. the 40's in stereo?

I like what Trifield does on some recordings, but wondered ...  Haven't had time to critically evaluate.

Sedona Sky Sound

« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2003, 06:38 am »
I really wished you were in Texas since after listening to the Trinaural Processor for the last few days, I would love to compare it to the Meridian. Except for a few small items that I am currently discussing with James (i.e., the Left and Right channels on the tone generator are backwards), I have been very impressed with the TriP.

As for distortion of 1 versus 4 panels. that is strictly going to be a function of how loud you plan on playing your music. Even at reasonably loud listening levels (95-100 dB), I have yet to hear any distrortion from the 626R or the LRC when playing the TRiP. The benefit of the 4x is that you can play louder without distortion if you really wanted to or had an an extremely large room that required it (similar to buying a 400W amp for the headroom even though you typically only use 1 watt or so). The other benefit of the RM40 is that it is a pseudo line array and therefore seems to offer a slightly "fuller" sound in the midrange IMO. The TRiP offers a much bigger soundstage (and a sweet spot that is 6+ feet wide  :mrgreen: ) but you would give up a slight bit of "fullness" to female voices since they are now being handled by one panel (and marginally supported by the other eight) instead of being directly radiated by all 8 panels.

Check your PM. I have a couple of questions about your Meridian. Thanks.  

Julian  
www.sedonaskysound.com

rblnr

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2003, 12:58 pm »
Wish you were in NY, would like to compare the trinaural.  Thanks for the distortion info.

Have found what you describe, a bit less midrange fullness when throwing vocals primarily through a smaller speaker.

Elaborated in PM to you, but in short, Trifield sacrifices nothing that I can hear, and promotes a more stable, solid image across the front.