626r vs. Onix Ref 1 Review. Comments?.......

Mad DOg

Re: spkrs
« Reply #40 on: 29 May 2003, 12:15 am »
Quote from: John Casler
...After hearing that 1812 Overture again, I don't think "any" speaker will effectively handle those cannon shots.

:nono:  :nono:  :lol:  :lol:

I noticed MAd Dog didn't play it on the REFs :mrgreen:

And I was glad he was quick on the volume control.

i'm quick to learn!  :lol:

indiscretion led to one premature end during one listening session already! didn't want that to happen again...esp since we barely had any time on the 626s at that point!

Mad DOg

Re: spkrs
« Reply #41 on: 29 May 2003, 12:23 am »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
I wonder if the "shootout" included orchestral music, opera, heavy metal, or other dense and difficult material.  Small speakers have a hard time reproducing such, not so the 626R.

The 626R is rated to 42Hz and has strong port output to 35Hz.  A 5 1/4" 2way usually rolls off in the 60 to 80Hz range.  "Bass" below that point is primarily doubling and distortion.

I haven't heard the Onix so I can't comment further.
hello brian,

we simply didn't have enough time to do as much listening as we would've all liked due to the budget speaker comparison that took place prior to the Ref 1 and 626 comparison...i would've liked to have had more time w/ both the Ref1s and 626s especially w/ the addition of the bottlehead, shunyata and XA777ES SACD player...

if the teeny little 5.25" woof performed as most 5.25" drivers, i most certainly would have sent it back...after all, one of the benefits of the internet biz model is the 30 day in house trial period! :)

you should try to audition the Onix Ref 1 if you can...you might not like it, but i still think you should listen to it...

warmest regards

John Casler

« Reply #42 on: 29 May 2003, 12:45 am »
I wonder if the "shootout" included orchestral music, opera, heavy metal, or other dense and difficult material. Small speakers have a hard time reproducing such, not so the 626R.

The 626R is rated to 42Hz and has strong port output to 35Hz. A 5 1/4" 2way usually rolls off in the 60 to 80Hz range. "Bass" below that point is primarily doubling and distortion.

Hi Brian,

The Ref ones do produce some good musical bass.  I did bring along a "bass" test tone cd so we could get an idea of just how low each (626R and Ref1) went, but we ran out of time.

He Mad Dog, do you have any bass test tones?

Mad DOg

test tones...
« Reply #43 on: 29 May 2003, 12:50 am »
john,

i thought i had a test tone cd but i may have gotten rid of it when i moved up to the bay area cuz i can't find it anymore...but i'm almost certain i wouldn't have gotten rid of it...may have to get another one...:(

Marbles

« Reply #44 on: 29 May 2003, 12:57 am »
Stereophile Disc 1 has them, and I'm told you can download them off the internet and burn a CD, but I have not tried this.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Onix
« Reply #45 on: 29 May 2003, 02:03 am »
I would like to find the Onix website, but no luck.  Do you have a URL?

I can run a complete series of tests in a few minutes.  I can think of a few ways to make a 5 1/4" woofer provide some low bass, but no way of getting a lot out of it.  

So who wants to have their Onix tested?

eico1

« Reply #47 on: 29 May 2003, 02:36 am »
Are these the speakers with crossovers designed  by Dick Pierce? I'd certainly like to hear what he has done giving all the bandwidth he has contributed to usenet:) If you want a quick overview, do a google search.

steve

Mad DOg

« Reply #48 on: 29 May 2003, 04:20 am »
Quote from: eico1
Are these the speakers with crossovers designed  by Dick Pierce? I'd certainly like to hear what he has done giving all the bandwidth he has contributed to usenet:) If you want a quick overview, do a google search.

steve

no, that would be the Rocket RS750...the Ref 1 is a Thierry Comte, Mr. H. H. Pu, Mark L. Schifter designed speaker...TOTALLY different animal compared to the Rocket RS750...different sonic signature due to different design goals...

F-100

« Reply #49 on: 29 May 2003, 05:01 am »
MadDog,

Does Onix offer any kind of in home audition with a 30 day return policy?

Thanks

Mad DOg

they do...
« Reply #50 on: 29 May 2003, 05:03 am »
Quote from: F-100
MadDog,

Does Onix offer any kind of in home audition with a 30 day return policy?

Thanks
F-100,

Onix is sold thru www.av123.com just like the Rockets...and they do offer in home audition w/ a 30 day no questions asked return policy...i notice u're in North LA? why don't you swing by my place to see if they just might be for you? i'm in LA...

shokunin

« Reply #51 on: 29 May 2003, 06:05 am »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
John,
2 people preferred the Onix (both fair reviewers), you preferred the VMPS.  Shokunin is more in the middle with a lean towards the Ref 1's (due to the wider sweetspot) and sums up his opinion by saying "I'd be happy with either Ref 1's or 626R's, and both are priced similarly."  Read his review, people can translate what they want from it:  http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=262037&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

There is something to be said about a speaker that is up there with th ...

Seriously, both are excellent speakers, you'll find things to love about each of these speakers.   The strengths of the 626R's had more attack, clarity and presence that was just a tad less than on the Ref's.   Bass went deeper than the Ref's, but that's to be expected from the larger cone size and twice as large cabinet on the VMPS.  Once some of my gear was added the 626R's became brighter than before and actually needed some adjustment to the tweeter pot.  I don't believe John adjusted them down, so takes these opinions with that in mind.

For those who disbelieve that a cone/dome tweeter could come anywhere near a ribbon design, needs to get out and listen to more speakers.  The Onix Ref's are outstanding speakers and am considering putting a pair in my upstairs loft.  I'm on both sides of the fence.  I'll be ordering 626R's FST because they will match well with my RM40's up front for my HT.  They also sound absolutely wonderful.  A shame that they will only be used for rear surrounds, but I'll be ready for MCH music.  In my loft, the 626Rs would be too honkin big, so the Ref's are perfect for that space.  

it is really amazing, how well these little Ref1's sound and look.  Don't trash this speaker unless you have had a chance to listen to broken-in pair, as usual YMMV.  Both of these speakers are extremely revealing and will reveal as much as your gear will allow.

F-100

Thanks
« Reply #52 on: 29 May 2003, 02:25 pm »
MadDog,
Thanks for the invitation, I might take you up on the offer  and will contact you off-line.

Brian Cheney

Onix
« Reply #53 on: 29 May 2003, 03:33 pm »
OK, had a view of the AV123 URL with the Onix Ref 1 and must say it looks like a quality product.  Marbles, this is my forum, do you have to quote the Onix promo?

Since my friend of 25 years, Mark Shifter, is involved with the Onix I can hardly say anything bad about it.  That will wait until I get some review samples.  To be fair, if I post a review of the Onix Ref 1 I should let Mark post a review of the 626 FST.  Should be a real complement-fest, given our past and current association.

Brian Cheney

Onix
« Reply #54 on: 29 May 2003, 03:33 pm »
OK, had a view of the AV123 URL with the Onix Ref 1 and must say it looks like a quality product.  Marbles, this is my forum, do you have to quote the Onix promo?

Since my friend of 25 years, Mark Shifter, is involved with the Onix I can hardly say anything bad about it.  That will wait until I get some review samples.  To be fair, if I post a review of the Onix Ref 1 I should let Mark post a review of the 626 FST.  Should be a real complement-fest, given our past and current association.

Marbles

Re: Onix
« Reply #55 on: 29 May 2003, 03:43 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney

Brian,  You asked for the Onix website so you could run "Tests" on the woofer.  I was trying to help you so you would not have to look all over their website to find the info you were looking for.

I have edited the post.

rosconey

« Reply #56 on: 29 May 2003, 04:51 pm »
:o when will the ref1 clones start showing up-120$ for the tweeters,dont know the 5.25 driver but a substitue cant be hard to find ,say 200$ for the pair,100$ for crossover parts,130$ for parts express cabinets and 200$ to the guru of your choice for the crossover design-selahaudio-gr research-or one of the other compitent guys.750$ or less :mrgreen:

this is not a rocket flame------the vmps have custom drivers not off the shelf ones,vmps are also made in the usa not a china(nothing bigitory just a labor cost point)so if i really thought the ref1 were for me i would rather buy the parts and make a clone and save the cash, theres just nothing special about the ref1 in looks or parts used,yes the cabinet is nice but the cabinets the guys here make are so dam sweet(ellis,shamrock,rad)they make the ref1 cabinets look average.
sorry if this is offensive to anyone :cry:

Brian Cheney

Onix
« Reply #57 on: 29 May 2003, 05:11 pm »
I should point out that Mark Shifter made a lot of money elsewhere and does audio now because that's what he likes to do.  He has to live in China in order to keep an eye on his suppliers.  He'd like to avoid the fate of the Dunlavy folk who bought into the "Chinese cabinet" mystique, got six figures worth of unsalable junk, and went under because of it.

I, on the other hand, live right here, taking up valuable land and airspace.  I support numerous wives and swarms of native-grown children, whereas Mark has only a houseful of indentured servants to oversee.  It's clear where your speaker-buying dollars should go, isn't it?

Sa-dono

« Reply #58 on: 29 May 2003, 06:14 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
:o when will the ref1 clones start showing up-120$ for the tweeters,dont know the 5.25 driver but a substitue cant be hard to find ,say 200$ for the pair,100$ for crossover parts,130$ for parts express cabinets and 200$ to the guru of your choice for the crossover design-selahaudio-gr research-or one of the other compitent guys.750$ or less :mrgreen:

this is not a rocket flame------the vmps have custom drivers not off the shelf ones,vmps are also made in the usa not a china(nothing bigitory just a labor cost point)so if i really thought the ref1 were for me i would rather buy the parts and make a clone and save the cash, theres just nothing special about the ref1 in looks or parts used,yes the cabinet is nice but the cabinets the guys here make are so dam sweet(ellis,shamrock,rad)they make the ref1 cabinets look average.
sorry if this is offensive to anyone  :cry:

You can think what you want...but if you put $750 into it...you're going to end up with $750 worth of sound (in comparison) :lol: If you really think that others could pull the same sound for a lesser value, don't you think these guys would have already done it and been making a killing? :wink:

And I disagree about the cabinets, but then that's personal tastes. I think the cabinets by Darren Thomas are the only ones that are anywhere close to the quality.

I think I smell a dog  :mrgreen: ;)

John Casler

« Reply #59 on: 29 May 2003, 06:16 pm »
Once some of my gear was added the 626R's became brighter than before and actually needed some adjustment to the tweeter pot. I don't believe John adjusted them down, so takes these opinions with that in mind.

Hi Shokunin,

Glad you added more info.  But About the session the other day.

You and Mad Dog were plugging and un-plugging at various times and i wasn't sure, what was changed out when.

Now I know that the Shunyata and PowerSnake were added.  And the Bottlehead Pre and Sony CD.

I am trying to figure out just how much difference the Shunyata/Snake made and then how much difference was due to the Bottlehead/Sony.

Did we first hear the Shunyata/Snake and "then" add in the Bottlehead/Sony or were all the components added in at once?

Mad Dog?  Shokunin?

I was under the impression that we heard the Shunyata/Snake first, with the Rotel/Adcom/Palladium and then you switched to the Bottlehead/Sony.

The reason I ask is that it seemed like the "BASS" improvement happened from the Shunyata/Snake, and the "etched" highs seemed to happen when the Bottlehead was added.

While I certainly didn't like the "etched" mids/highs change, I did think the Bass enhancement deserves investigation.

Found it strange that it would sound so different, and particulaly that the introduction of a "tube" component would add such a "hardness" to the mids and highs.

Now obviously we didn't change any of the pot settings to adjust this, but it certainly shows that the 626s can show distinct differences in components.

Also Shokunin, have you "tuned" your RM40s to not exhibit this trait?