Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT

8thnerve

maxwalrath

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2004, 02:28 pm »
What are the dimensions? I have a big amp.

8thnerve

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2004, 02:32 pm »
Quote from: maxwalrath
What are the dimensions? I have a big amp.

23.5 x 19.5 x 0.5 inches

It is maple ply, so it is very strong...

maxwalrath

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2004, 02:39 pm »
you have a pm...I think I'll take 4 but I have a quick question.

randog

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2004, 04:47 pm »
When you say buy more than 4 and it's only $20/ea, do you mean 5 would be $100 or $120?

Thanks,
Randy

PS: any word on the XR45? Today?  8)

maxwalrath

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2004, 05:36 pm »
I just bought some...5 would be $100

BradJudy

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2004, 06:23 pm »
I just sent a PM for 5 as well.  Hopefully there are still some left.

maxwalrath

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2004, 07:14 pm »
Nathan, I left a message but I want to cover my bases...I want to add 1 shelf to my order.
Thanks,
Max

BradJudy

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2004, 11:26 pm »
I just placed my order with Nathan and got the last of the cherry edged shelves.  At there moment there were still a few maple edged ones left, but only 3 IIRC.

WilliamL

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2004, 04:12 am »
Hey. What a deal! About 14 months ago,  when I was down in Nashville, I personally did quality assurance on these shelves.

Best,
Bill

8thnerve

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2004, 11:31 pm »
All sold out.  Faster than I thought as usual, maybe I should stop giving such good deals...?

BradJudy

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2004, 04:43 am »
Got my shelves today - very nice.  I picked up some 3/4" threaded rod, but it's a tight fit that must be screwed in - a difficult task with five shelves and four rods.  Perhaps I'll use some 5/8" instead (or would that make it unstable?).

8thnerve

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2004, 02:43 pm »
Quote from: BradJudy
Got my shelves today - very nice.  I picked up some 3/4" threaded rod, but it's a tight fit that must be screwed in - a difficult task with five shelves and four rods.  Perhaps I'll use some 5/8" instead (or would that make it unstable?).

They were made tight to provide extra rigidity.  Just push em through!  Bang if you need to.  5/8" will work, but it will be less stable and you'll have to really tighten up the nuts to make it workable.  Of course then you can buy parts from Salamander since they use 5/8" rods...

maxwalrath

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2004, 02:52 pm »
Nathan, I just sent this email to you but it seemed like a good question for a post since so many people from Audiocircle probably bought these...

Nathan,
I was wondering...would I able to provide a rubbed lacquer finish to the shelves you sent me? I've never done anything like this, so I don't exactly know if the state of the shelves right now would allow me to do so.

If I can, what would I need? If you aren't sure I can get this info elsewhere, my main concern is if I can do it.

Also, is it OK to put a rubber/vibration absorbing material between the shelf and the nuts the shelf rests on?

Sorry for so many questions now that I have the shelves, it seemed like a great deal and I didn't want to miss out, but I should have gotten a little more info on exactly how to build earlier.

They look really great, I left some positive feedback for you on Audiogon.

Thanks,
Max

BradJudy

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2004, 09:21 pm »
Nathan,

I'll give the 3/4" a try, but I think forcing them would damage the surface, so I'll probably stick with screwing them in.  

I'll have to start raiding the local hardware stores for neoprene washers.  The HomeDepot I bought the threaded rod/nuts/washers at only had 4 left in this size.  It looks like they can be ordered from McMaster online if local attempts fail.

maxwalrath

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2004, 04:25 pm »
I finished putting mine together this weekend.

4 3/4x36" threaded rods ($32)
40 3/4" nuts (Home depot was nice enough to forget to charge me for these...didn't notice until I was home  :D )
40 5/8" washers ($7.60)

For less than $200 total and a few hours work I have a great looking 5 shelf rack strong enough for my Odyssey Stratos.

BradJudy, The 3/4 inch threaded rods are a tight fit, and it takes time to get it to fit without being too forceful and damaging the shelves, but it's tight as a glove. Try your best to keep the shelf level when you're dropping it on...it's only when it's not level that it's a pain. Also, you can be pretty forceful and not do any damage. I put a little wear around a few of the holes, but nothing visible from even a foot away, but then I covered the damaged area with washers. With washers and nuts on the top and bottom the shelf has a cool industrial look to it and is very sturdy.

BradJudy

Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2004, 04:37 pm »
After retrying the 3/4" threaded rod I bought, I wasn't willing to risk the damage and went with 5/8" rod.  It works great and is solid as a rock.  Of course I did have some trouble with the Home Depot 5/8" rod that was supposed to be a thread of 11, but wasn't, and I ended up returning it and getting some from Lowes with the correct threading.  It's also a lot easier to adjust the shelf leveling and height with the 5/8" rod.

I'm also very happy with the result.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Rack Shelf CLOSEOUT
« Reply #17 on: 2 Mar 2004, 01:32 am »
How about pics guys?

GW