Omega and Fi (and a side bar on Alnico)...

MarcD in NYC

« on: 22 Oct 2004, 04:10 pm »
Is anyone using Omega speakers with Don Garber's Fi amplifiers?  I am considering pairing either my Super 3's or Grande 8's with the Fi X.  Does anyone have any experience with an Omega/Fi combo?  Theoretically the combination should be great?

and just another side question... I have seen that both Lou and a number of his Omega owners have experimented with the Alnico magnet Fostex drivers... rumor has it that Fostex is considering discontinuing the export of these drivers... is there any truth to this?

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2004, 10:01 pm »
Marc,
I have a pair of Super 3's, a Fi-X, and a Decware Zen triode.  The 3's needed to be broken in again, and they are opening up a little, but still any opinions might be premature.  But since my Abby's arrived, I've not listened to the 3's very much.  After this weekend, I will get back to them, and do a more thorough comparison.  The Decware has a little more power, and I'm told it likes lower impedance loads, so it might be a better match (and is a lot less expensive).

kbuzz3

marc what are you usuing now
« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2004, 07:17 pm »
Marc what is your current set up. this will help give us some reference.

doug in nyc with super 3 narrow cabs.

MarcD in NYC

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2004, 01:56 pm »
Kbuzz3,  my current set-up is using a YBA CD2 as source and an Antique Sound Labs MG SI 15 DT integrated.  I periodically swap out the Super 3's and the Grande 8's depending on my mood. (I also have a Pardigm PS1000 sub-woofer, but haven't hooked it into the system since converting to Omega's.) The Super 3's prefer the ASL in Pentode mode, while the Grande 8's get triode for jazz and acoustic recordings (heavy rotation).  Part of the goal of this exercise will be to seperate the two speaker pairs into different rooms, thus creating two distinct systems.

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2004, 01:20 pm »
Hi Marc,

The Fi x is a great match. I met Don at the VSAC and he really liked the speakers.

Hi Inscrutable,

The Super 3s break in does take a little longer because the smaller drivers are very stiff. The suspensions really need to move to break in.

Talk to you soon,
Louis

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2004, 11:37 pm »
yeah, there are just too many glowing reviews of these for me to believe this is what they sound like.  I have to give them more volume and more time, and be patient ...