Best 300B

peckjed

Best 300B
« on: 8 Feb 2019, 02:53 pm »
Hey everyone. I am looking for some input on the best quality/sounding/lowest hum 300B - preferably new stock since NOS prices are outrageous. I'd love to find a nice sounding, reliable mesh plate - but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews. Currently I am using a matched quad of EHX 300B which sound nice. Just curious what else is out there that should be considered!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Best 300B
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2019, 03:04 pm »
Mesh Plate current production are some rare, look for Emission Labs Mesh.
Chinese mesh seems dont worth to try imo. There is Takatsuki even more expensive.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2019, 03:44 pm »
Hi peckjed,

One day I'm going to jump in and get something that uses those magical 300B tubes. Just haven't done it yet but I'm an old retired fart and running out of time.  :green:

So what in hell are you using that requires FOUR of these boogers???

Thanks,

Gene

peckjed

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2019, 03:52 pm »
Hi peckjed,

One day I'm going to jump in and get something that uses those magical 300B tubes. Just haven't done it yet but I'm an old retired fart and running out of time.  :green:

So what in hell are you using that requires FOUR of these boogers???

Thanks,

Gene

Hey Gene,

Dennis Had built me a Parallel Single Ended 300B thats putting out 16w with 4 300B, 6SL7, 274B recitifer and 3 0A3 VR tubes. I've tried some lower watt amps and they just dont have that little extra bit that I really like. 15-20w seems to be the sweet spot in my system.

-Jeff

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2019, 03:56 pm »
8 years ago I had Black Treasure 300Bs and enjoyed them. They sounded MUCH better than the Sophia and EH I tried.
Since then Gold Lion PX300B came out, and I have been very happy with other GL tubes, so I would probably try those GL first.
This review says they are both good, but a tube is only one part of the amp circuit so they sound different in every amp - don't trust tube reviews too much. But Gold Lion and Black Treasure reviews have been consistently great over a long period, lots of AC people have god comments about them, and my experience with both brands has been excellent. ymmv.  Ideally you can find advice from someone using the same amps as yours.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2019, 03:56 pm »
Hi Jeff,

That's impressive. Dennis makes good stuff. Recently I saw he has a nice looking 8W 300B amp on eBay. Very tempting. I exchanged some emails with him recently and found out he's just a bit older than me!

Gene

peckjed

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2019, 04:04 pm »
Hi Jeff,

That's impressive. Dennis makes good stuff. Recently I saw he has a nice looking 8W 300B amp on eBay. Very tempting. I exchanged some emails with him recently and found out he's just a bit older than me!

Gene

Dennis is a great guy. I've purchased from him a few times. I had him install hum pots on this 300B that made a world of difference. I'd jump on that 8W 300B if you've got friendly speakers (just make sure to ask for a hum pot)!

peckjed

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2019, 04:05 pm »
8 years ago I had Black Treasure 300Bs and enjoyed them. They sounded MUCH better than the Sophia and EH I tried.
Since then Gold Lion PX300B came out, and I have been very happy with other GL tubes, so I would probably try those GL first.
This review says they are both good, but a tube is only one part of the amp circuit so they sound different in every amp - don't trust tube reviews too much. But Gold Lion and Black Treasure reviews have been consistently great over a long period, lots of AC people have god comments about them, and my experience with both brands has been excellent. ymmv.  Ideally you can find advice from someone using the same amps as yours.

Golden Lion are what I am leaning towards. I've never had issue with their other tubes and the prices are fairly reasonable compared to other stuff.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2019, 04:11 pm »
Dennis is a great guy. I've purchased from him a few times. I had him install hum pots on this 300B that made a world of difference. I'd jump on that 8W 300B if you've got friendly speakers (just make sure to ask for a hum pot)!

I've got the Spatial M3 T's but I do't try to blow out the windows or my ears!

Gene

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2019, 04:16 pm »
Peck: its a beatiful amp, although for keep SE and few parts I would order a 6C33 or a GM70 for 30w of SE bliss, it cost only $30 in Russia, it is reported to have best sound than the 300B at 1100V.
A fantastique tube to live in a cold area.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2019, 04:24 pm »
regarding 300b - I have 4 300b in parallel for 60 watts continuous using Emission Labs 300b XLS that have been solid for 7 years now with significant use.  My preamp takes 4 300b as well but are not monoblocks.  I run Kron's for those.  Personally I like the Kron's a ton.  Price for benefit seems best value.  My experience with Kron's is they have an unusual high failure rate in the first 200 hours then are solid for the foreseeable future.  Kron stood by their tubes and sent me replacements.

I do know of 6 Takatsuki TA300b that are up for sale with under 50 hours on 4 of them.  They were purchased by my recommendation and the owner, David Beetles of Hammertone Audio, preferred the Kron's.  Contact him, if interested.  He will give you his impressions directly and a good deal if interested.

WE has released their 300b.  I am on the sidelines for now.

doggie

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2019, 07:23 pm »
Could someone please PM me with contact information for Dennis Had?

Thanks!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2019, 03:08 pm »

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2019, 11:07 pm »
Hi peckjed,

I guess it's OK to quote mysefl!  :thumb:

Anyway, I jumped in and recently bought a Eddie Current Balancing Act Headphone/preamp - 300B/PX4 Version. The seller included a pair of KR PX4's and a pair of EH 300B's. He said he preferred the KR PX4's but at least I'll be able to try the 300B's. I bought the amp primarily as a HP amp but it can also be used as a preamp.

Gene

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2019, 01:16 am »
Congratulations on the new amplifier.

I received my Berning SE 300b amplifier with EH tubes and thought it sounded pretty good.......until I heard the WE 300b. Never looked back. Those tubes are amazing, and finally becoming available new production again.
https://www.westernelectric.com/products/300b.html

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2019, 01:41 am »
Thanks Rusty,

I know the KR PX4's were expensive but it looks like I'll have to start saving my pennies for those WE300B's!  :duh:

Gene

Jon L

« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2019, 04:12 am »
Matched pair for $1500... Sure makes me glad I got out of the 300B amp game.  In fact, looking around at NOS prices for 6922, EL34, 6SN7, etc, I am glad there are very viable non-tube alternatives out there these days :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2019, 06:25 am »
Matched pair for $1500... Sure makes me glad I got out of the 300B amp game.  In fact, looking around at NOS prices for 6922, EL34, 6SN7, etc, I am glad there are very viable non-tube alternatives out there these days :thumb:
Congratulations, wise decision in fact a easy obvious decision.
You could made a topic on it, also a guy at DIY audio exposed the tube manufacturers for made a agreement in 1990s to reduce tubes time life only 1000 hours, a shame.

An alternative is Russian military tubes as 6C33,GM70,GK71,6C42,GU72 all great sound tubes at low prices.
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2019, 10:18 am by FullRangeMan »

doggie

« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2019, 02:54 am »
I have been looking for a reasonably priced pair of 300B tubes.

Does anyone know if Grant Fidelity is still in business?

Edit: I was able to make contact with them and all is well...
« Last Edit: 1 May 2019, 12:13 pm by doggie »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #19 on: 1 May 2019, 02:19 pm »
I do know that Psvane makes some of the best new tubes around, their carbon coated grey glass tubes have all been first rate that I've tried, the 6CA7, CV-181, KT-88, but I've not tried their 300b.  I do have a Gold Lion 300b that I'm going to use once my new Elekit 300b amp arrives.  I might order a Psvane 300b grey glass and do some comparisons.  I know Psvane also has a Western Electric 300b replica but it's too rich for my blood at the moment.