Raven vs. Rogers: Opinions

GeneS

Raven vs. Rogers: Opinions
« on: 29 Nov 2020, 11:38 pm »
I’m in the research phase of my next acquisition.
I’m toying with getting a Raven Audio Nighthawk or Blackhawk integrated  *or* a Rogers Fidelity 65 V-2 integrated.
I have heard both units at various audio shows, so conditions were not ideal. Even with that, both sounded amazing.
I’d appreciate any feedback from previous or current owners or anyone with any “real world” experience.
This would be my first foray into tube home audio equipment (I have owned tube guitar amps).
Whatever I choose would likely power an offering from the Klipsch Heritage line; Heresy, Forte, or Cornwall (yet to be auditioned).
Thanks in advance.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Raven vs. Rogers: Opinions
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2020, 11:22 pm »
Well I will no respond your question, I think you should not look for brands, but for SET circuit and hi quality construction.

In many years the only brand that STM are free from big mistakes and dubious commitments are this below what have surprised me:
http://aricaudio.com/products.php?product=SP88150SE
There is a cheaper $1875 version.

Emil

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2020, 02:20 pm »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2020, 02:38 pm »
Seems odd to me to be looking at a low watt single ended amp and a push/pull 30 watt amp.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2020, 01:41 am by opnly bafld »

GeneS

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2020, 02:41 pm »
Thank you, Emil
Actually, Rogers has their own pre-owned and demo gear program.

https://rogershighfidelity.com/factory-certified-pre-owned/

GeneS

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2020, 02:49 pm »
“Maybe he got the  Raven Osprey that just sold for $2700”

I have made no decision, nor purchase

Thank you

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2020, 09:44 pm »
Seems odd to me to be looking at a really low watt single ended amp (V1 Stereophile measurements 2w-3% triode; 6w-3% UL) and a push/pull 30 watt amp.  :dunno:
If your can hear distortion buy a AV receiver, DHT  are low and sound are crap.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2020, 10:31 pm »
If your can hear distortion buy a AV receiver, DHT  are low and sound are crap.

What?

I was just commenting on what, to me anyway, seems like an apples and oranges situation.
Less than 1 watt at 1% se triode vs a medium power (30w) p/p amp.
Maybe the comparison is based on price?  :scratch:

Edit: I forgot Rogers' specs: less than 3% THD at 25 watts and 50 watts peak.
The comparison seems much more reasonable with these inflated numbers.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2020, 01:40 am by opnly bafld »

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2020, 11:10 pm »
What?

I was just commenting on what, to me anyway, seems like an apples and oranges situation.
Less than 1 watt at 1% se triode (low power even by set standards) vs a medium power (30w) p/p amp.

I came to the thread as I’m interested in Raven products but now I’m here for the comedy. 

I too am interested to hear a response to opnly bafld’s question as those seem to be two largely different products. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2020, 12:13 am »
What?

Less than 1 watt at 1% se triode (low power even by set standards) vs a medium power (30w) p/p amp.
No prob  :thumb: Sometime áudio magazines imply that distortion are an evil.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2020, 12:46 am »
Sometime áudio magazines imply that distortion are an evil.

The review measurements don't even come close to their specs (Rogers claims 25 watts at less than 3%  :roll:), JA thought maybe he had a defective amp.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2020, 12:57 am »
The review measurements don't even come close to their specs (Rogers claims 25 watts at less than 3%  :roll:) or even other set amps with the same tubes, JA thought maybe he had a defective amp.
Maybe JÁ could learn about even distortion in tube amps but if yet not convinced buy an japonese receiver and forget tubes.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2020, 01:03 am »
I'm sure the Rogers' is a fine amplifier when used (as with all amps) within its limits.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2020, 01:16 am »
I don't know if it's the second language or just a communication breakdown, but you are not getting my point.

JA moved his normal 1% clipping to 3% and this EL34 amp still only produced 2.3 watts in triode.  :(
The distortion being higher than the stated? Some manufaturers are optimistic in the specifications, or may have happened a tubes change,  tube vary a lot.
May have been a bias against tube amps here.

tdangelo

« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2020, 04:02 am »
With the Rogers see if you can find out the gain spec. I had the EF200 MK2 with 40db gain and had hardly any volume range before it was super loud and thats with 89-91 efficiency speakers. With the speakers your wanting to use I would make sure.

GeneS

« Reply #15 on: 11 Dec 2020, 12:47 pm »
With the Rogers see if you can find out the gain spec. I had the EF200 MK2 with 40db gain and had hardly any volume range before it was super loud and thats with 89-91 efficiency speakers. With the speakers your wanting to use I would make sure.

Thank you for that. That’s helpful.