John Abercrombie died

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: John Abercrombie died
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2017, 03:34 pm »
A sad day. As a big fan since the mid '70s this leaves a hole that will not be filled anytime soon. RIP Mr. Abercrombie, and Thank You for all the outstanding music over the years. 72 is too young.

One of his best    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogpfFkS37cw

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2017, 03:48 pm »
Absolutely horrible news. I believe I have all his recordings and always eagerly awaited new releases. In a large field of talented, innovative guitarists, his with a truly unique, singular sound.

It's time to plan for an Abercrombie tribute marathon here this weekend.

Damn.

L.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2017, 04:47 pm »
OMG. Jerry Lewis, Dick Gregory, now Abercrombie. Sad to hear this. Not extensively familiar with his solo catalog... aragon, Arthur, Lester, got any suggestions for someone relatively new to Abercrombie? I'll cue something up on Tidal during 'listening time' today.

won ton on

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2017, 05:31 pm »
truelly a sad day

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2017, 05:45 pm »
OMG. Jerry Lewis, Dick Gregory, now Abercrombie. Sad to hear this. Not extensively familiar with his solo catalog... aragon, Arthur, Lester, got any suggestions for someone relatively new to Abercrombie? I'll cue something up on Tidal during 'listening time' today.

dB, he was quite varied in his work, though his sound was pretty distinctive. I'd recommend Timeless (the link I noted), Night (which is tends a little more to rock/hard fusion jazz), and Animato for starters. He was pretty prolific. Most of his ECM work is accessible to jazz/fusion fans of one persuasion or another. I think the only work of his I could pass on would be his time with The Stark Reality (late 60s). Not so much my cup of coffee, too avant garde/discordant.

And, Thanks aragon for the notice, much appreciated.

sturgus

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2017, 06:50 pm »
This is just crazy. RIP John.

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2017, 07:05 pm »
Another jazz giant passes.  RIP John Abercrombie.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2017, 07:26 pm »

AD's right on the money about Timeless being a classic. Any of the Gateway albums with DeJohnette and Dave Holland too. Terrific.

Also any of the below.

Live (Abercrombie trio)
Third Quartet recordings
The new John Abercrombie Quartet records
November
Homecoming
Sargasso Sea
Five Years Later
Speak of the Devil

Another favorite is (Dave Liebman's) Lookout Farm

Two of his trip recordings with Marc Johnson and Peter Erskine (Current Events and Alice in Wonderland) really stand out in my mind.

steve k

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2017, 09:38 pm »
I liked his work with Charles Lloyd. He was understated and ethereal adding texture to Lloyd's sound. He will be missed.

Fair Hedon

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2017, 01:05 am »
..an utterly brilliant musician...I have just about all his ECM recordings...RIP. :cry:

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2017, 02:00 am »
Wow. Tidal sucks for Abercrombie,. They have NONE of the albums mentioned by Lester or Arthur. Here's their list:

-Duo (w/Greg Osby)
-Timeline (not Timeless)
-A Nice Idea
-Solar (w/ John Scofield)
-Witchcraft
-Solos: The Jazz Sessions
-Topics
-Speak to Me (w/ Marc Copland)
-Nosmo King
-Alone Together
-The Bush Crew
-Upon a Time
-Where we Were
-Cradle of Light
-Friends
-Speak Easy
-Mystique
-The Toronto Concert

I do remember Timeless, had it on vinyl back in my spinning days. Guess I'll take the SQ hit and see if apple Music has it. If any of you more knowledgable JA fans have any input on any of the above, feel free to sound off. I've never really dug fusion FWIW.

Edit: Apple doesn't have Timeless either and the album selection is 80% the same.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2017, 03:07 am »
ECM doesn't supply music to streaming companies. You can find some good deals on used CD's at Amazon.

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2017, 02:32 pm »
That explains why I can't find any early Metheny stuff either. Think I'll get Timeless. I had it 1,000,000 years ago on vinyl.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2017, 02:34 pm »
Too bad, he does a great duo with Ralph Towner.
RIP

jhm731

« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2017, 05:10 pm by jhm731 »

jhm731

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2017, 01:07 am »
Two of John's albums: Up and Coming and Timeless are available as MQA downloads:

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/search/?title=MQA&artist=John%20Abercrombie&sort=-releaseDate

qdrone

« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2018, 07:02 am »
John probably led me to explore more jazz artists than any other artist. The personnel on his recordings were worth exploring on their own. Hugh loss of a major talent who created instruments so he could replicate the sound in his head.