Need amp recommendation for BMR Philharmonitor

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Need amp recommendation for BMR Philharmonitor
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2018, 08:32 pm »
There are some used Krell and Bel Canto amps for sale on Audiogon that are in your wheel house price wise.
You can't go wrong with the Parasound A23 if you want new.  Also, take a look at New Prime amps and the Marantz MM7025.  Accesories4less usually has Marantz marked down.

srb

« Reply #21 on: 27 Apr 2018, 08:49 pm »
You can't go wrong with the Parasound A23 if you want new.

The OP already bought a Parasound A23 and is not fully satisfied with it in combination with his Philharmonic BMR speakers.

I purchased a used Parasound A23 (mint condition), but I am not fully satisfied with it.

twitch54

« Reply #22 on: 27 Apr 2018, 09:41 pm »
I've auditioned this amp (Rogue Medusa) up against my Martin Logan Spires and was quite impressed.

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Medusa.htm#Specifications

IMO, Rogue is a great product for the $$ spent

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2018, 10:00 pm »
The OP already bought a Parasound A23 and is not fully satisfied with it in combination with his Philharmonic BMR speakers.

Whoops, didn't see that.

Consider Vincent, Marantz, Hegel, AVA, Arcam, Bel Canto if you don't like the Parasound sound.  The A23 is a good budget amp, but does not have a high end sound.

slava

« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2018, 11:26 pm »
I probably am a 'mild' listener, I also do not listen to enough classical music to worry about it. From the looks of it you may be right and that 100 watts is just enough for me, but I may be missing a bit of headroom for when I decide to turn it up.

I tested to see if 20 inches would work if I let it overhang and it won't as my media center is only 15 inches deep inside plus I have to account wiring. I would have to push the media center further into the room and did not pass the WAF test. Placing something that bulky on top of the media center fails the WAF test as well, it's why I do not have a center channel. Not having a center channel and my listening while not on the couch (sometimes different room even) is why I purchased the Philharmonic BMR, I was aware that 85 dB sensitivity may be an issue.

I will look into new Icepower 1200AS2 & Rogue Medusa as well as used Krell, Bel Canto, Marantz, Vincent, and Hegel amps.

There is a used Odyssey Khartogo on usaudiomart for $1000, I am wondering if this may be worth buying even though it has 110 Watts per channel.
Max Upgrades:
Full Kismet Upgrade / 120,000uf / transformer
Full Kismet Board
WBT RCA Connectors
Groneberg TS Premium Cable Upgrade
Deluxe Case

WGH

« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2018, 11:39 pm »
In all likelihood you will not find the powerful high end sound you are looking for with a $600 - $1000 budget. I suggest you go for power now and high end later, used Adcom's are very affordable and are a lot of fun. Get one to play with while saving for an AVA. There are plenty on Adcom amps on eBay but try to find one locally first, the amps are heavy, shipping is expensive and some sellers don't double box so things get banged up.

There is a used Odyssey Khartogo on usaudiomart for $1000, I am wondering if this may be worth buying even though it has 110 Watts per channel.

Odyssey amps sound great, give Klaus a call (317) 299 5578 and ask, I hear evenings work best.

artur9

« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2018, 12:22 am »
I have Parasound amps and they are ok.  I like my Krells and Odyssey Audio better and Belles has a great sound as well.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2018, 12:28 am »
To listen at live levels, the peaks are 110 dB for rock, 105 dB for jazz and classical, less for folk.  For your speakers that would require 19 - 24 dB of gain (plus for distance/room losses, minus 3 dB for two channels which so perhaps a add another 3 dB), so the amp needs to add roughly 22 - 27 dB of gain (167 - 500 watts per channel at 6 ohms or 125 - 370 watts per channel at the more normal 8 ohms) assuming preamp output matches power amp sensitivity with no extra headroom for signal overloads.

For more average sized rooms, like my 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room, the room losses pretty much matches the gain from having two channels.  My speakers are rated at 91 dB/w/m at 8 ohms, so the combination requires 14 - 19 dB of gain (27 - 80 watts per channel at 8 ohms) which is much more manageable.  And in my opinion high fidelity means as a minimum live level playback of the full frequency range.  I use tiny Temple Audio mono-blocks, that are rated at 70 watts at 8 ohms or 95 watts at 6 ohms and cost $735 at last springs exchange rates (see my review here at Audio Circle).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #28 on: 28 Apr 2018, 12:46 am »
Or the problem might be that you just need a better sounding amp.  At the risk of being a tiny bit self-aggrandizing, I'd recommend the First Watt F5, which I happen to have one up for sale here on AC  :o  It's a great sounding amp. 

slava

« Reply #29 on: 28 Apr 2018, 12:51 am »
Right, I totally understand that but I am not planning to listen anywhere close to live levels. I am happy listening at under 75-80 dB , as long as the dynamics are fully intact. The BMR have the same frequency response on Axis as they do 80 degrees off axis, they are the only speakers I auditioned that completely fill the entire room with sound at almost any volume. I have auditioned 86 and 87db sensitivity speakers that sounded less sensitive, they actually manage to sound great while I sit in the office doing work which I enjoy a great deal. I just contacted Dennis the manufacturer and he told me he never used an amp with more than 250 watts with the BMR as they got to high enough volume with that.

I definitely see where your coming from, and I would not have the urge to "upgrade" and spend more money if the speakers were more sensitive.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2018, 03:46 pm »
Did you know that Dennis Murphy uses all AVA equipment in designing his own speakers and the crossovers for Jim Salk’s soeakers?

Frank

maty

« Reply #31 on: 29 Apr 2018, 04:38 pm »
The true numbers

http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/calculadores_en.htm#calc_spl

Sensitivity: 84.5 dB

Power: 100 watts

Speakers: 2

Random phase

Distance: 9 ft

SPL: 98.7 dB

The same but

In phase: 101.8 dB

Listening to 80 dBSPL on average is very high. Suppose orchestral music, I have orchestral records with DR17 -> 97 dBSPL (peaks).

You need an amplifier with > 80 watts at 8 Ohms at THD 0.1%. Which? Your choice.

The BMR Philharmonitor

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/BMR%20Philharmonitor.html

Do not ever sell them!!!
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2018, 07:32 pm by maty »

slava

« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2018, 07:21 pm »
I did not know that Frank, I did read that he personally uses your equipment at home. The SET-300 is my first choice if I buy new. I do have a few questions though, does the SET-300 have a 12v trigger and does it perform well with rca inputs? Will heat be a problem if I use it inside of a cabinet (open back).

Thank you Maty for the information, from using the speakers with the a23 and a-300 I figured 150 watts should  suit my needs. Also, the new iteration of the BMR is not 84.5 it is 85 dB sensitivity. (dennis did not update website)

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #33 on: 29 Apr 2018, 07:31 pm »
SET 300 works fine with RCA cables, standard equipment.

Fine in cabinet with open back.

12v trigger not available.

Frank

maty

« Reply #34 on: 29 Apr 2018, 07:54 pm »
Double power -> only add 3 dB at SPL.

200 watts, 8 Ohms

* Random phase: 98.7 dB + 3 dB = 101.7 dB

* In phase: 101.8 dB + 3 dB = 104.8 dB

maty

« Reply #35 on: 29 Apr 2018, 07:57 pm »
If you listen modern commercial music: DR < 10 dB => you need less watts to reach the same sound sensation.

maty

« Reply #36 on: 29 Apr 2018, 08:26 pm »
By the way, not only orchestral records can reach DR17.

Just now I listen: Paganini - Shlomo Mintz ‎– 24 Capricci Per Violino Solo Op.1 (1982), vinyl

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68964.msg1683124#msg1683124

Official DR value:   DR14

One cut DR17.

slava

« Reply #37 on: 29 Apr 2018, 11:10 pm »
Not having a 12v switch is not a big deal for me, but will definitely fail the WAF test. I will most likely have to look at other options.
There are a pair of 4 year old W4S SX-1000 mono blocks for sale for $1300, anyone have experience with Wyred4Sound? (reliability)

I.Greyhound Fan

slava

« Reply #39 on: 30 Apr 2018, 12:57 am »
Thanks for the info greyhound, I read up on the amp and it sounds great but may not fit my needs. It does not appear to have a 12v trigger and is a tube hybrid, I am looking to buy a fully SS amp.