Owner Impressions, Delivery Times and Things to Do While You Wait

bhm7272

Re: A Place to Salk While Waiting
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jun 2009, 10:40 am »
Well, thanks to Nuance, I too am waiting on a 5.0 set of Songtowers, center, and surrounds.  I ordered my speakers late March, so I'm really anxious to say the least.  In the meantime, i've spent a small fortune to build my home theater.  New apc power conditioner, Emotiva UPA-7 and LMC-1, Oppo blue ray, salamander stand, logitech squeezbox duet, Hsu vtf 3-3 sub and sh%#loads of cables from blue jeans.  Waiting on Panny 58' v10 and emotiva umc-1 to be released to complete set-up.

I say thanks to Nuance with the deepest respect.  His "journey" led me to Jim Salk.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Your critical listening, comparisons, and willingness to post here and elsewhere have guided me in feeling safe in spending a boatload of money on something i've never seen/heard.

The timing of release dates/construction has enabled me to buy and payoff-buy and payoff-etc. spreading the expense over a period of months and keeping my credit card (mostly) paid down.

The wait has fueled a quest for knowledge online.  Not just the speakers, but you can tell everything in my list represents some consensus online of "what to get."

I'm gonna take the day off work when Jim (I feel ok saying Jim instead of Mr. Salk because I have talked to the man on the phone a few times already.  Where else do you get to talk to the boss when you call?  Great customer service!) ships my speakers so I can take pictures of the FedEx truck.  I'll probably cry...

bryede

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jun 2009, 10:58 am »
Where else do you get to talk to the boss when you call?  Great customer service!)

You know, I wonder how long it will be before we're saying, "remember back when Jim answered the phone personally?" I know he's already very busy and eventually success dictates how much you can do in a day.

vintagebob

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jun 2009, 02:36 pm »
Dang BHM,

You've been busy!  Sounds like a really nice system that you're putting together.

What type of finish did you get with your Salks?

earthbound

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jun 2009, 02:38 pm »
Where else do you get to talk to the boss when you call?  Great customer service!)

You know, I wonder how long it will be before we're saying, "remember back when Jim answered the phone personally?" I know he's already very busy and eventually success dictates how much you can do in a day.

New rule: Nobody can bother Jim until my speakers are finished!

bhm7272

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jun 2009, 06:06 pm »

I got the curly walnut. I'm kinda having remorse after seeing some of the other awesome finishes. I sent Mr. Salk pictures of my furniture to try to match. I was thinking the WAF would be better if everything matches...

vintagebob

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jun 2009, 06:54 pm »

I got the curly walnut. I'm kinda having remorse after seeing some of the other awesome finishes. I sent Mr. Salk pictures of my furniture to try to match. I was thinking the WAF would be better if everything matches...

LOL.  I lusted after the curly walnut but went with the dyed red oak to match the coffee table in the room.  I'm glad someone will have the curly walnut.  :wink:

He really has produced some amazing enclosures.  I'm thinking there should be a Salk Art Gallery...

Nuance

« Reply #26 on: 2 Jun 2009, 07:58 pm »
Well, thanks to Nuance, I too am waiting on a 5.0 set of Songtowers, center, and surrounds.  I ordered my speakers late March, so I'm really anxious to say the least.  In the meantime, i've spent a small fortune to build my home theater.  New apc power conditioner, Emotiva UPA-7 and LMC-1, Oppo blue ray, salamander stand, logitech squeezbox duet, Hsu vtf 3-3 sub and sh%#loads of cables from blue jeans.  Waiting on Panny 58' v10 and emotiva umc-1 to be released to complete set-up.

I say thanks to Nuance with the deepest respect.  His "journey" led me to Jim Salk.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Your critical listening, comparisons, and willingness to post here and elsewhere have guided me in feeling safe in spending a boatload of money on something i've never seen/heard.

The timing of release dates/construction has enabled me to buy and payoff-buy and payoff-etc. spreading the expense over a period of months and keeping my credit card (mostly) paid down.

The wait has fueled a quest for knowledge online.  Not just the speakers, but you can tell everything in my list represents some consensus online of "what to get."

I'm gonna take the day off work when Jim (I feel ok saying Jim instead of Mr. Salk because I have talked to the man on the phone a few times already.  Where else do you get to talk to the boss when you call?  Great customer service!) ships my speakers so I can take pictures of the FedEx truck.  I'll probably cry...
:D  I am happy to hear that things are coming together for you!  You've got an awesome system (or will soon anyway :)).  I can't wait to see pictures and get your impressions!

vintagebob

« Reply #27 on: 4 Jun 2009, 02:44 pm »
I love all of these pictures of the Song Towers in Salk's Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=83022&id=86706101669

I wish one of them was mine!  :green:

ardee

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jun 2009, 03:27 pm »
What have I been doing while I wait?
Well,
First off I have never officially introduced myself to the Salk family in my own thread.   Maybe Jim will post  pics when they are done and that could be it.

Second- I played a key role in de-railing (temporarily) Adydulas(sp?) demo material thread for which I would like to say;  to Adydula(sp?) and the rest I sincerely apologize,
And to Rocket, my apologies also for making ignorant/childish replies to your post.  You were correct and I have learned a lesson from this.   Needless to say this was not a good way to start around here. I do enjoy this forum and circle immensely.

Third- getting my equipment in order as I am basically starting from scratch for a HT/Stereo system.    I am still trying to decide on a pre/pro.    From what I have learned in the last few years the whole thing with pre/pros for HT is beyond aggravating.   However it is coming together nicely, I think.

Fourth- And this is the only bad part about getting custom speakers (if there is a bad part) and waiting for them to be built.    It gives you too much time to think and this has truly shown the exemplary man that Jim is to me.   A testament to patience and tolerance.   I think with me the big one would be the latter.     I made a change about two months into the order which obviously is prolonging the work.   I fear if a couple of workers ever met me I would have to run  :lol:, but it would be fruitless because they would catch me for sure.   Again I cannot say enough about Jim in my dealings with him.   

Fifth- Of course drooling at everyone?s speaker photos and setups and searching and reading my you know what off.   This forum is a treasure chest of info and recommendations on music.

Other than that not too much, just trying to focus on what I still need before everything gets here.   And, of course the main reason I look as if I am always here but I am actually with my 3 year old and wife.   I typically stay logged on and check things out when I get a minute or two.

I would like to say thanks to everyone for all the info shared and the overall maturity level of the whole forum.   This is what has made this the main forum I spend much time on.

Apologize for the long post.
I could not find my best friend (spell check) so excuse what I have not caught myself.
Robert D.
I have HT3s, HTs and a special HTC being built.

vintagebob

« Reply #29 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:50 pm »
Hey, Welcome to the new guys!

mathgeek97 (June) - HT2-TL
ChicagoSparty (June) - HT2-TL
mchuckp (June) - ST RT

What will you be doing while you wait?
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2009, 02:19 am by vintagebob »

mathgeek97

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jun 2009, 05:19 pm »

mchuckp (June) - ST RT

Fidgeting, nervously, while I talk to myself...
-Kevin

vintagebob

« Reply #31 on: 9 Jun 2009, 05:33 pm »

mchuckp (June) - ST RT

Fidgeting, nervously, while I talk to myself...
-Kevin

It sounds like you will at least be ordering some SACDs?  Let me know what you decide to get.

Tell me more about the OPPO.  Were you notified by them by email and if so how long did you have to wait?  I signed up for notification but haven't heard anything yet.

mathgeek97

« Reply #32 on: 9 Jun 2009, 05:42 pm »
It sounds like you will at least be ordering some SACDs?  Let me know what you decide to get.

Tell me more about the OPPO.  Were you notified by them by email and if so how long did you have to wait?  I signed up for notification but haven't heard anything yet.

OPPO is running a few weeks behind, I think.  You'll get the e-mail before too long.  It's a universal player and handles a wide variety of formats, including Blu-ray, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, HDCD (many CDs have this and it plays normally in regular players).  It's supposed to have a decent DAC, but I'm going to hook mine up via HDMI.  The firmware doesn't do everything perfectly, yet, but OPPO has a history of releasing fixes in a timely fashion.

-Kevin

vintagebob

« Reply #33 on: 10 Jun 2009, 04:30 pm »

OPPO is running a few weeks behind, I think.  You'll get the e-mail before too long.  It's a universal player and handles a wide variety of formats, including Blu-ray, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, HDCD (many CDs have this and it plays normally in regular players).  It's supposed to have a decent DAC, but I'm going to hook mine up via HDMI.  The firmware doesn't do everything perfectly, yet, but OPPO has a history of releasing fixes in a timely fashion.

-Kevin

I'm not sure what you did but I got an email from OPPO today.  Thanks!  :green:

vintagebob

« Reply #34 on: 15 Jun 2009, 12:14 am »
UPDATE

I received my Epik Phoenix subwoofer last week and have been working on placement (Trying different placements with the Phoenix is no small chore!) while studying sub EQ.  Which of course meant that I ordered a DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033 to work with my sub.   :roll:

I did order the Oppo after reading the recommendations here and also after doing some research on some other sites.  That should show up before the end of the month.

The hardest part of the wait has been trying to control my lust for the HT-2 TL.  I love how this speaker looks and many of you have come away preferring it to the Songtower.  One quote about "no harshness with the ribbon tweeter"  really had me going for awhile.  I have a set of JL Speakers in a custom system I had installed in my Prius and I find the tweeters to be somewhat harsh which has always bugged me.  I'm counting on the extra dispersion of the Songtower QWII tweeters to win the day in my HT setup.

I have also bought some more music, mostly in DTS, DVD-A and SACD, in preparation for the STs.  I've also been enjoying all of my GRP label CDs again.

I still need to add some room treatment to my place but I'm still planning on how best to execute that in my listening space.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this site.  I've enjoyed the reading. 

I'm sure that Jim is too far along on my STs to order HT-2 TLs now...right?  :o
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2009, 06:02 am by vintagebob »

jsalk

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jun 2009, 01:07 am »
UPDATE

It's never too late.  You can even trade them in after the fact.

- Jim

rahimlee54

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jun 2009, 01:14 am »
UPDATE

- Jim

You offer trade ups?

jsalk

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jun 2009, 02:34 am »

You offer trade ups?

We work with customers to provide the best upgrade situation possible.  If there is a significant difference in price, we are often able to allow the full original price to be applied toward the purchase of the new speakers.  For example, if someone purchased a standard pair of SongTowers and later wanted a pair of HT3's, we would have no trouble applying the full purchase price of the SongTowers toward the purchase of HT3's (provided the SongTowers were not damaged).  We would even allow the owner to hang on to the old speakers while he/she waited for us to build the new ones.

If they had a fully "custom" pair, that would be a little more difficult since they would have paid a premium for the SongTowers and that may make them harder to sell for near their original price when used. But in any case, we work with customers to help make it happen for them.

In the case where the differential is smaller, we offer the best trade-in value we can or help the owner sell his/her original speakers.

Whether or not we can continue to do this on into the future, depends on a number of factors.  But for now at least, our speakers tend to hold their value very well.  We can even re-finish used speakers so they are like brand new.  When we have these speakers, some people prefer to purchase a used pair so they don't have to wait to have a new pair built.  And, of course, we make sure they are in perfect working condition.

So, in short, the answer is yes.

- Jim

vintagebob

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jun 2009, 12:39 pm »
UPDATE

- Jim

Thanks Jim.  I'll stay the course...for now.  :wink:

vintagebob

« Reply #39 on: 27 Jun 2009, 01:35 pm »
UPDATE

Welcome to:
stc4life (June) - ST RT
floresjc (June) - Two pair ST (dome) and Song Center

and congrats to B3 Guys for delivery on the HT2-TLs!

I'm just about at the 30 day point now and getting excited.  I did buy an Anti-mode 8033 to EQ my sub and feel it does a great job.  I also grabbed an OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player.  Very nice player!  I'm still waiting on some room treatments.

I also ordered an AVA Insight Double 240/3 amplifier for my system so the Salks will have plenty of musical power on tap.  I currently have a Pioneer SC-05 and will use it as a preamp/processor and to drive the surrounds for now.

How about the rest of you?  Any updates on your wait?