Andrew Jones discusses pros and cons of active speakers

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Andrew Jones discusses pros and cons of active speakers
« Reply #120 on: 26 Jan 2017, 08:46 pm »
Stop being a critical listener. Doing so can save you a lot of money without harming your experience. There may be an adjustment period but that is just about taking your mind off the audiophile checklist when music is playing.

I am using A pair of KRK Rockit8 active speakers I bought for $420 on closeout and an Emotiva DC-1 I bought used for $275. This gear is in a combination office/TV room and the sound is quite enjoyable. That's $695 plus a $20 pair of balanced cables from a music store and a pair of B&W metal speaker stands that cost $15 from Craigslist. Hard to beat if you don't give a sh*t what Harry Pearson or John Atkinson think.

Perhaps I'll look into some of the options JBL is offering since the interest in their stuff is so high on AC but there are so many other things calling for my retirement income that I will probably not bother.

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

maty

« Reply #121 on: 5 May 2018, 11:42 am »
KEF LS50 wireless: class D (woofer) + class AB (tweeter)

Image optimized by me

Review: KEF LS50 Wireless Marcel Wanders Feb 2018

http://blog.son-video.com/en/2018/02/review-kef-ls50-wireless-marcel-wanders/

KEF LS50 Wireless: hybrid amplification

...The cone [woofer] of the UniQ driver is paired with a Class-D amplifier capable of delivering up to 100 Watts, while the tweeter is paired with a Class-AB amplifier generating 2×30 Watts.

The benefit of using a Class-D amplifier is tied to its high efficiency and its optimized damping factor: since its components range in size from small to medium, it doesn’t take up a lot of space while controlling the excursions of the UniQ driver’s cone with an iron fist. The Class-AB amplifier which drives the tweeter is not quite as efficient and sounds warmer and softer.

These amplifiers offer a number of advantages. First, since the KEF LS50 Wireless speaker is not equipped with a passive filter, the audio signal does not risk the same degradation due to electronic components as it does with the standard LS50 model. The signal is actively filtered by processors integrated into the amplifier, which allows for very steep slopes. Consequently, the tweeter boasts superior filtering of frequencies below 2.2 kHz compared to the passive model, and the energy of the restitution is boosted. In the same way, the midbass driver benefits from a better attenuation above its cutoff frequency and thus avoids encroaching on the tweeter’s territory. Lastly, the wires connecting the amplifiers to the drivers are ultra-short, thereby preserving the quality of the amplified signal...

KEF LS50 Wireless: listening impressions

Lows: well-balanced once the EQ is adjusted, without compromising the balance of the midbass. The driver’s bass-reflex port is very efficient, and lows are tight and never trail. A surprising amount of punch given the compact size of the transducer.

Mids: detailed and balanced in the midbass, with a slight coloration. Overall, linear and responsive.

Highs: precise, yet a bit dry at times

http://international.kef.com/ls50-wireless-nocturne-by-marcel-wanders

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #122 on: 5 May 2018, 01:05 pm »
Stop being a critical listener. Doing so can save you a lot of money without harming your experience. There may be an adjustment period but that is just about taking your mind off the audiophile checklist when music is playing.
Tru dat X10.

I have a little system in my bedroom sitting on top of the dresser, couldn't be set up much worse, and it gives me pleasure every time I listen to it. Always listen to the music and not the stereo. The system in my dedicated room is way better, but I find myself listening to the equipment instead of the music sometimes. Not always enjoyable.

Oh, and I'm making this comment in this thread as I'm currently using a pair of the KEF Wireless LS50s.