ECD-1 DAC mod findings - blow-by-blow

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2004, 07:51 am »
Thank you Steve for the update and for the fine job your doing on the mods !! :beer:
    Looking forward to their return....when all is complete. 8) [/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jul 2004, 04:47 pm »
Received word from Steve that both the ECD-1 and the Sony 7700 mods are now finished , and ready to ship. Sounds good !!! :dance:
    Now I hope they have a safe trip back to Long Island..... :bounce: [/list:u]
      Thanks Steve !!!!!! :D [/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jul 2004, 03:04 pm »
Well FedEx just rang the bell....the EA modded ECD-1 and 7700 have arrived ! And all in one piece....Thank You again Fed Ex!! No time now , but tonite I'll intergrate back into my system....should be a fun nite..... :dance:
    Thanks again Steve !! :D [/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #23 on: 8 Aug 2004, 10:53 pm »
I have not written any followup on the ECD-1 or the 7700 that Steve modded for me. Been a little busy with things(AKSA tour amp). I did take both to the last NY Audio Rave meeting at tvyankee's on Saturday, 8/7/04. Others have written their comments on what they heard concerning the EA Turbomodded ECD-1 in this thread.... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=12244   :)
    Hope to soon have some time to REALLY listen to them in my system...and burn in both. What I heard at the Rave , sounded very good to me !! :) [/list:u]
      Thanks Steve...a job well done !!!! :dance: [/list:u]

audioengr

« Reply #24 on: 9 Aug 2004, 06:10 pm »
Please let me know when you get together with George and compare unmodded versus modded.

Daniel

« Reply #25 on: 9 Aug 2004, 07:55 pm »
Quote from: audioengr
Please let me know when you get together with George and compare unmodded versus modded.

Yeah, let me know too.  I'm inviting myself over for the event. :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #26 on: 9 Aug 2004, 09:03 pm »
I think Chris was going to be extremely gracious and actually send me his unit.   :thumb:

Anybody who wants to come up and hear the differences is more than welcome.  I think there might also be a gathering at Phil's to hear the EA ECD-1, stock ECD-1, Dodson, and Levi's Modwright unit.

George

PhilNYC

« Reply #27 on: 9 Aug 2004, 09:19 pm »
Quote from: zybar
I think Chris was going to be extremely gracious and actually send me his unit.   :thumb:

Anybody who wants to come up and hear the differences is more than welcome.  I think there might also be a gathering at Phil's to hear the EA ECD-1, stock ECD-1, Dodson, and Levi's Modwright unit.

George

Yep, as soon as Levi gets his back, we'll schedule it.  Hopefully it dove-tails with my receiving the Dodson DA-263 and we can do it all at once...

lonewolfny42

« Reply #28 on: 10 Aug 2004, 04:05 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC

George

Yep, as soon as Levi gets his back, we'll schedule it.  Hopefully it dove-tails with my receiving the Dodson DA-263 and we can do it all at once...
Phil,
    Sounds good!! I'll bring both the ECD-1 and the 7700. After the comparisons , if you or George wish to extend your auditions, I can go home empty handed....no problem with that... :) [/list:u]

Daniel

« Reply #29 on: 10 Aug 2004, 07:21 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Phil,
    After the comparisons , if you or George wish to extend your auditions, I can go home empty handed....no problem with that... :) [/list:u]

Man, Chris, you're a cool dude.  You bring great CDs and gear to our Raves, you honor the host with terrific CD samplers and now you're giving your gear away.  Incredible.  Can I have your car? :mrgreen:

mcrespo71

« Reply #30 on: 10 Aug 2004, 08:15 pm »
No doubt about it- Chris is the essence of COOL!!!! 8)  8)

He's hung with Bowie, Ronson, Strummer, The Ramones, and Lennon- how much cooler can you get than that?

Michael

lonewolfny42

« Reply #31 on: 11 Aug 2004, 02:37 am »
Quote from: Daniel
Phil,
    After the comparisons , if you or George wish to extend your auditions, I can go home empty handed....no problem with that... :) [/list:u]

Man, Chris, you're a cool dude.  You bring great CDs and gear to our Raves, you honor the host with terrific CD samplers and now you're giving your gear away.  Incredible.  Can I have your car? :mrgreen:
My car.... Hell no !! .....but....take my wife please.... :jester:
    No doubt about it- Chris is the essence of COOL!!!!  

He's hung with Bowie, Ronson, Strummer, The Ramones, and Lennon- how much cooler can you get than that?

Michael
    [/list:u]Thanks for the kind words Mike !! The '70's were a great time to be in music..... :guitar:  :D

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #32 on: 21 Aug 2004, 02:07 am »
    Quote from: audioengr

Steve,

I received the EA modified ECD-1 yesterday, but the most I could do was unbox it, plug it in, and feed it a signal from a spare dvd player.  

A big THANK YOU to Chris for giving me the chance to hear the unit in my system.

From talking with Chris I was pretty confident it would smoke the stock unit.  But instead of going up against the stock unit, I am actually going to spend some serious time comparing it to the Audiologic 24 MXL dac (http://www.perrottaconsulting.com/audiologic1.htm).

I have been auditioning this dac since Saturday and it is very, very good! When comparing the Audiologic to the stock ECD-1, the Audiologic is pretty much superior across the board.  The highs are more extended, defined and present.  The  midrange has no sibilance and is liquid smooth.  It also creates a more stable center image with better depth.  On the bass, it is tighter and faster.  There is a better PRAT.  Anyway, enough about the Audiologic for now.

Literally 30 minutes ago I inserted the EA ECD-1.  I have just gone through a couple of test cuts:

Counting Crows - "August and Everything After" - Tracks 2, 4, 5
    Harry Connick Jr. - "She" - Tracks 1, 12, 13, 14
    Ben Harper - "Fight For Your Mind" - Tracks 5, 6, 7

The EA ECD-1 is very dynamic and has a more forward and aggressive presentation than the Audiologic.  Not better or worse just different.  I think the the EA is a little faster and the intial transient response is excellent.  The EA isn't as seductive and voices don't draw me in as much as the Audiologic does.  Acoustic guitar is very good on the EA, but sounds a smidge more pleasing on the Audiologic (maybe I miss tubes more than I want to admit?).

Steve, eventhough I have spent a short time listening, I can confidently say that you made a significant improvement over the stock ECD-1.  

Great job!   :thumb:

I will post a much more detailed and formal review in the next week or so.

Now back to the music...

George

lonewolfny42

« Reply #33 on: 21 Aug 2004, 02:58 am »
    George, Take all the time you need. Got a balanced tube preamp hanging around. Might try that with the ECD-1. I use one in my system...but its not balanced (sort of leans to the right :lol: ). Have fun !! :)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #34 on: 21 Aug 2004, 03:07 am »

George

Phil, I got a PM for Levi....his unit has returned. :)

PhilNYC

« Reply #35 on: 21 Aug 2004, 12:31 pm »

George

Phil, I got a PM for Levi....his unit has returned. :)

I can't do it next weekend, but after that I'm free.  Should we schedule something??

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #36 on: 21 Aug 2004, 12:51 pm »
    I don't think I can have the Audiologic that long.

Phil, do you have the lowered priced Dodson yet?  

Although from what I am hearing, I think both the EA ECD-1 and Audiologic are at the level of the more expensive Dodson (going from memory).

George

PhilNYC

« Reply #37 on: 21 Aug 2004, 12:56 pm »
    I don't think I can have the Audiologic that long.

Phil, do you have the lowered priced Dodson yet?  

Although from what I am hearing, I think both the EA ECD-1 and Audiologic are at the level of the more expensive Dodson (going from memory).

George

Not yet...the unit is at a reviewer who has supposedly finished his review, so we're just waiting for him to send it back.  Will let you know...

And hey, thems fightin' words...!  :uzi:

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #38 on: 21 Aug 2004, 01:02 pm »

Not yet...the unit is at a reviewer who has supposedly finished his review, so we're just waiting for him to send it back.  Will let you know...

And hey, thems fightin' words...!  :uzi:

That's why I was hoping to hear them in the same system vs. going from memory.

I want it to be a fair fight  :duel:

To be honest, I am not even sure who I want to win.    :o

George

Marbles

« Reply #39 on: 21 Aug 2004, 01:42 pm »
    George, as a side note, my EA P3a does have some digital edginess (noise) that was always there, but I couldn't here it because of bybees in my Nitro IC's.  I just found this out when swapping some cables.

I think Steve has a SUPER DUPER Superclock2 upgrade that wil take care of it. I don't know if that's what you got in your mods or not.

With the Bybees, the unit sounds great to me, without them, I can't listen to it for more than an hour or two before I want to climb a tower with a gun.............