NO Rez installation

Tom899

NO Rez installation
« on: 28 Feb 2022, 11:17 am »
I have a question about installing NO Rez please.
I have two kits on the way for my RP8000F's and RP504C, expected delivery this Wednesday.
Last night I took apart one of my RP8000F's in preparation on Wednesday. The white fluffy material I removed was glued on, as all of you know. I really don't see how to effectively remove the hardened glue on the cabinet boards? Is it necessary, or will the NO Rez stick OK over the hardened left over glue? I'm sure many of you have installed NO Rez, maybe over this hardened glue? just wondering your experiences?
Thank you,
Tom

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: NO Rez installation
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2022, 03:14 pm »
In my experience, NoRez is not very conformable to an uneven surface.

Theoretically, the closer one can get to 100% contact and adhesion to substrate, the more effective the damping layer will be. The foam layer won't care.

I haven't seen the glue inside one of these but imagine scraping of some form or another would be most effective to even out surface and remove glue. Think small paint scraper.

Is the glue all over the surface or in lines/stripes? If you can get a clear photo, I might be able to offer more.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2022, 03:22 pm »
Yeah the glue can be an absolute pain.  I use a couple methods or a combo of the two depending on how much space you have.  Paint scraper is a must as others pointed out.  Scrape what you can with that.  Add in a heat gun if the speakers give you the space.  Heat gun plus scraper usually does the trick. 

Robert

Tom899

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2022, 03:41 pm »
Thanks guys, the glue is just in narrow strips, so it doesn't cover everything. Where you see the left over material it is very hard, sharp and rough. I will try a putty knife/scraper.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2022, 04:35 pm »
Putty knife probably won't help much. maybe a chisel in some areas but try to avoid gouging.

I suspect I'd be reaching for something like this, which cuts on the drag stroke rather than push.

https://www.zoro.com/bahco-bahco-carbide-scraper-ergo-2-650/i/G7617340/?recommended=true

Tom899

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2022, 04:38 pm »
Putty knife probably won't help much. maybe a chisel in some areas but try to avoid gouging.

I suspect I'd be reaching for something like this, which cuts on the drag stroke rather than push.

https://www.zoro.com/bahco-bahco-carbide-scraper-ergo-2-650/i/G7617340/?recommended=true

Thanks, I'll check into one of these!

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2022, 07:57 pm »
That glue isn't actually too bad.  You should see the crap AV123 used to use.  There was no pattern to it.  It looks like someone just flicked glue on the MDF and slapped the dampening over it.  So you'd see big clumps of glue in random spots.  It's a NIGHTMARE to get out fully. 

Robert

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2022, 10:01 pm »
That glue isn't actually too bad.  You should see the crap AV123 used to use.  There was no pattern to it.  It looks like someone just flicked glue on the MDF and slapped the dampening over it.  So you'd see big clumps of glue in random spots.  It's a NIGHTMARE to get out fully. 

Robert

I second this. Some areas were really thin others were super thick puddles. not fun trying to get that stuff out. :lol:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2022, 10:01 pm »
Here is a scraper I use. The carbide cutter works well.

https://www.woodpeck.com/woodpeckers-mighty-mini-scraper.html

Tom899

« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2022, 10:31 pm »
Thanks, that looks like a good scraper too!
I was wondering, after you install the NO Rez, how do you secure the original white material when putting it back in?

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2022, 03:11 am »
Thanks, that looks like a good scraper too!
I was wondering, after you install the NO Rez, how do you secure the original white material when putting it back in?

Why would you out it back in?  I’ve heard of folks reusing a bit of stick dampening material to lay over an upgraded crossover, but not sure what other use it would be. Apologies if I misunderstood the question. Not at all meaning to be rude in the reply.

Robert

Tom899

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2022, 03:45 am »
Why would you out it back in?  I’ve heard of folks reusing a bit of stick dampening material to lay over an upgraded crossover, but not sure what other use it would be. Apologies if I misunderstood the question. Not at all meaning to be rude in the reply.

Robert
Hi Robert, I had the same question, should I put it back in? I checked with Danny Richie and he said definitely put it back in. This is me thinking with the next statement, but don’t mind others chiming in to correct me. The NO Rez is basically a dampening material to take care of deadening the cabinet. A different function of the factory white sound absorbing material.

Tom899

« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2022, 04:39 pm »
Just to reiterate a question. After installing the NO Rez. What do you use to secure the original white sound absorbing material on top of the NO Rez?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2022, 11:44 pm »
Again, I don't know this speaker of its stuffing, but typically stuffing kinda wedges between or around NoRez. I don't think I've ever glued poly fill.  Is it sheets or gobs?

Tom899

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2022, 04:28 am »
Again, I don't know this speaker of its stuffing, but typically stuffing kinda wedges between or around NoRez. I don't think I've ever glued poly fill.  Is it sheets or gobs?
The RP8000F’s have five 7” wide strips that were glued.

Tom899

« Reply #15 on: 5 Mar 2022, 12:04 pm »
Just to reiterate a question. After installing the NO Rez. What do you use to secure the original white sound absorbing material on top of the NO Rez?
I found it stays in place very good on top of the NO Rez, no need for gluing or any other means of securing

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 5 Mar 2022, 02:44 pm »
If you want something a little more permanent, you can always use spray adhesive. That usually works pretty well. And the polyfill is light enough that only a little here and there will be plenty to hold it up

Tom899

« Reply #17 on: 6 Mar 2022, 12:50 pm »
If you want something a little more permanent, you can always use spray adhesive. That usually works pretty well. And the polyfill is light enough that only a little here and there will be plenty to hold it up
Thanks, good tip!