BFI, AFI, Filmsite - Top Movies of All Time - List and Comments

Folsom

Re: BFI Top Movies of All Time - List and Comments
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jan 2017, 07:52 pm »
I'd rather watch something like Solaris ('72) than 2001. Visually 2001 is great but it is a contender for the most boring movie.

Where's Blade Runner? I'd rate it higher than many films listed thus far.

WGH

« Reply #41 on: 13 Jan 2017, 08:39 pm »
Where's Blade Runner?

Where's Bambi?
Why? Because of the ground breaking animation of Tyrus Wong who just died at 106.
Look for a documentary about Tyrus's amazing life on PBS.

Folsom

« Reply #42 on: 13 Jan 2017, 10:05 pm »
There's a clear lack of consideration for animation/anime on the lists.

Randy

« Reply #43 on: 13 Jan 2017, 10:30 pm »
There was a day when James Whale's "The Bride of Frankenstein" made all the lists of top ten movies of all time, at least American movies. Seems like it's been forgotten. The ending is jaw-dropping to this day, and is full of priceless scenes. "You belong dead."

rpf

« Reply #44 on: 13 Jan 2017, 11:30 pm »
There was a day when James Whale's "The Bride of Frankenstein" made all the lists of top ten movies of all time, at least American movies. Seems like it's been forgotten. The ending is jaw-dropping to this day, and is full of priceless scenes. "You belong dead."

A good one. As is Blade Runner as mentioned above.

Also some neglected comedies:

My Man Godfrey (probably the best comedy ever)

Arsenic and Old Lace

Kind Hearts and Coronets

Hobson's Choice

King of Hearts

And yes, I agree with those that said Vertigo is not Hitchcock's best.

Odal3

« Reply #45 on: 14 Jan 2017, 02:08 am »
Thanks for posting all the lists. This reminds me again that I have many good movies too watch.

Folsom

« Reply #46 on: 14 Jan 2017, 02:16 am »
Thanks for posting all the lists. This reminds me again that I have many good movies too watch.

Maybe someday you'll have time :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 14 Jan 2017, 02:21 am »
Rob, wouldn't mind seeing your Top 10 list of the best of today's film and music.

That would be a fun topic!  I'll have to put on my thinking cap. :thumb:

bummrush

« Reply #48 on: 14 Jan 2017, 03:50 am »
Arsenic and old lace. Still like it.

charmerci

« Reply #49 on: 14 Jan 2017, 01:47 pm »
Just throwing a few favorites out there - unmentioned. (I haven't looked at any of your top 100 lists.)

I'm a big Terry Gilliam fan - not one of the "best" but my favorite by far is Brazil.

Alien and the Unbearable Lightness of Being are two more favorites.

I've never understood Casablanca as one of the best - the dialog was too quick and quick-witted and not natural. As soon as one person finished saying something the other person comes in with their lines.

Not a huge fan of the older films - having said that, there's Stalag 17.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #50 on: 15 Jan 2017, 02:31 pm »
If you haven't seen the films by Paolo Sorrentino (Il Divo, The Great Beauty, Youth, The Young Pope) then you should. Easily one of the best directors working today. You might want to skip his Sean Penn film though.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/italy/articles/the-5-best-movies-by-paolo-sorrentino-you-should-watch/

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #51 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:10 pm »
Added something cool to the first post, so people can see it as a reference:

Filmsite Top 300 by Decade

This is very interesting - it breaks the top 300 films (according to them) into decades instead of the usual "Best to Worst" rankings of other lists.  I found this very useful:

http://www.filmsite.org/300films.html

Folsom

Nice idea for breaking it up, not a very impressive list. And it's missing a couple decades.

Tyson

Nice idea for breaking it up, not a very impressive list. And it's missing a couple decades.

You're a bit of a curmudgeon, aren't you?  :lol:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Thanks for the postings Tyson, interesting to see what 'the pros' think rank as Best. Still haven't noted Wages of Fear ('53, Yves Montand) listed, which is personal favorite. Even the remake, Sorcerer ('77, Roy Scheider) was pretty good, with the added benefit of Tangerine Dream, Charlie Parker, & Keith Jarrett on the sound track.  8)

Folsom

You're a bit of a curmudgeon, aren't you?  :lol:

On the contrary! I've just seen too many movies.

wushuliu

« Reply #56 on: 18 Jan 2017, 03:15 am »
Added something cool to the first post, so people can see it as a reference:

Filmsite Top 300 by Decade

This is very interesting - it breaks the top 300 films (according to them) into decades instead of the usual "Best to Worst" rankings of other lists.  I found this very useful:

http://www.filmsite.org/300films.html

I'll be a curmudgeon too. That list seems to have an aversion to anything that requires subtitles.

And no Kwaidan for the 60s? Wha?

Tyson

I'll be a curmudgeon too. That list seems to have an aversion to anything that requires subtitles.

And no Kwaidan for the 60s? Wha?

Haha, true dat!  On the other hand, people might say the BFI list has an aversion to films that DON'T require subtitles, :P  That's why I edited my first post and put all 3 lists in the first post.  I think each list on it's own is unbalanced, but the 3 together are very good.

wushuliu

Haha, true dat!  On the other hand, people might say the BFI list has an aversion to films that DON'T require subtitles, :P  That's why I edited my first post and put all 3 lists in the first post.  I think each list on it's own is unbalanced, but the 3 together are very good.

True. Good stuff. Thanks tyson...

Tyson

For anyone keeping up, I've now seen all of the top 100 on the BFI list, and in fact have seen 167 of the top 250.  I signed up for Filmstruck, which has a ton of classics and art house movies, so I should be able to get another 30 or so watched in the next few months. 

AFI 100 years 100 movies - I've now seen 77 out of the 100.