0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: 23 May 2010, 04:28 pm

Results - Help us decide on production chassis for Basis Plus Linestage

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Beginning June 2010, we will switch to a standard chassis design for the Musica Bella Basis and Basis Plus linestage to make production and assembly easier as we have begun receiving inquiries from dealers to carry the product.

Regardless of the chassis design, we will be using 1/4" black acrylic for the front and rear panels as well as a vented acrylic bottom plate. The chassis will still be constructed of Baltic Birch with real wood veneers.

We already moved the Silver Extreme to a standard chassis which will begin in June as well.

We are looking to you for your thoughts on the chassis design to make standard for this product. Even if you are not interested or in the market for a preamp, your vote would be greatlt appreciated.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2010, 05:14 pm by Response Audio »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
If we decide on a single chassis for the Basis Plus, the size would be 16" W x 14" D x 5"H. We have had inquiries to use a solid hardwood instead of the acrylic front panel. This would be 1/8" or 1/4" thin stock real wood.
 Urethane would be the final finish.

Rocket

Hi Bill,

I have been lurking at your website for years and in the future I would definitely consider a new preamplifier for my system and a product from you will be highly considered.

I don't like the look of a split chassis and I much prefer a single one.  I just think it looks better in a standard chassis.  Just my opinion of course  :roll:.

Regards

Rod

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Hello Rod,
 Thank you for your comments. They are exactly what I am looking for. I am trying to determine if I should continue to offer a variety of chasis designs or streamline the line into only a few select designs.
 Can you give me an idea of what type of chassis you would like to see or would be interested if you were purchasing one of the units?

srb

Although my answer doesn't fit into your voting options, I can't see why some kind of metal enclosure, most likely aluminum, wouldn't be preferable to provide some kind of shielding/Faraday cage around low level circuitry.

If you are constructing the enclosure in-house, I understand that working with wood and plastic is very easy, while metal fabrication is somewhat more difficult.

I also know that in many DIY projects that were housed in a wood or acrylic enclosure for ease of fabrication, often the builder, after experiencing some kind of induced noise or interference from proximal equipment, subsequently either lined the enclosure with metal or transfered the components into a metal enclosure.

Steve

Mariusz

All-around-wood (finger- joint) except the top & bottom (for easy access/service). Mirror like aluminium top. Chrome & wood knobs options.
Just my 2c.

Mariusz

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Thanks again guys,

subsequently either lined the enclosure with metal or transfered the components into a metal enclosure.

In regard to shielding, we do now shield sensitive circuitry and all of our Basis preamps have been dead quiet even in complex systems.

most likely aluminum, wouldn't be preferable to provide some kind of shielding/Faraday cage around low level circuitry.

If you are constructing the enclosure in-house, I understand that working with wood and plastic is very easy, while metal fabrication is somewhat more difficult.

The choice of wood was chosen due to sonics over anything else. I have been through most common materials and the current design is what gave us the sound we were after. Metal fabrication is no problem but full metal chassis' (while sounded very good) was not what we were looking for.

The current chassis uses a full top aluminum plate with aluminum shields to protect the circuit from intrusion.

All-around-wood (finger- joint) except the top & bottom (for easy access/service). Mirror like aluminium top. Chrome & wood knobs options.

Easy enough. How about polished aluminum for the top plate?!?

Mariusz

Bill

whatever it is you feel will work best for you and your customers.
Here is what I plan of using for my DIY projects:

It might be an over-kill tho...... it is a 0.25" thick!!!
Together with 1" thick solid maple finger-joint frame and darker custom wood knobs (for contrast) and matching feet/cones.
Should look tasty.

But this is only one guy's opinion.
You were always flexible with your custom finish options but if new/standardized look can/will keep the costs down without sacrificing quality, I would say YES, do it!!!

Rocket

Hi Bill,

Well it depends on how affordable it is for you to offer custom made chassis and still make a living.   I personally prefer the look of your older one piece chassis than the new two piece one.  Others may disagree though  :roll:.

A custom veneer or piano black would be okay.  I've been reading your website and there are some really nice looking chassis but these appear to be your premium range.

At the moment I'm still waiting to have my Ampzilla mono's operate correctly with aussie voltage (been waiting six months)  :duh:.

Anyway I hope you receive some useful feedback.

Regards

Rod

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Thank you everyone for your feedback both here in this thread and offline. A decision has been made due to all the comments that have come in.

We will continue to offer both the split chassis as well as the single chassis design. We will also continue to offer full customization to the chassis so you can have what you want or need to match your decor.

The one piece chassis will resemble our original design as Rod mentioned and as shown below with or without tubes protruding through the top of the chassis. Front panel options will remain open and up to the consumer.

All chassis are lined with aluminum to prevent interfearance and keep noise levels to a minimum.

In the end, we will simply continue to offer custom designs that will only be limited by your imagination.

Rocket

Hi Bill,

Really nice looking chassis for the basis preamplifier.  I would update your website because it looks like the only chassis that is available is the dual one.

I am about a year away from upgrading my preamplifier and I will place you on my list.

Regards

Rod

ps I have salk soud ht2's (non tl) and ampzilla monos and just need to upgrade my preamplifier

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
ps I have salk soud ht2's (non tl) and ampzilla monos and just need to upgrade my preamplifier

I am REALLY enjoying the HT2-TL's driven by all tubes. I also really like the Salks driven by a SS amp and tube pre.

Here is the tube amp I have been running for some time now. It has been running for about 5 years now with the original tubes. It has also been transformed 3 times and still runs the very first batch of V-Cap prototype capacitors.

And here is the preamp currently in action. This is a Purity Statement dual mono, fully balanced linestage in a prototype chassis prior to the official release of the production chassis.