Jolida 801A as power amp?

sjh500

Jolida 801A as power amp?
« on: 6 Mar 2010, 11:22 pm »
Just wondering if anyone on here has experienced the 801A converted to the Platinum upgrade, but just as a power amp? I am trying to decide whether or not to have an 801A upgraded by Bill as the integrated, or as just a power amp. It would seem that run with an outstanding active pre, the 801 could be quite good? Thanks

sjh500

Re: Jolida 801A as power amp?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2010, 07:56 pm »
No one? Someone has to have done this? If not, Bill could you tell me the difference?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2010, 11:17 pm »
There are a few AC members here with converted 801 amps. Maybe they will chime in as well. The 801, as with all Jolida integrated amps, are basically a power amp with a passive control stage consisting of a source selector, balance (sometimes) and the volume control. You could just as easily turn you volume control all the way up and run a preamp into one of the inputs. The only difference in wiring as a straight amp is that you are not going through the selector or volume controls. Less in the signal path.

I do prefer running an active preamp into these amps.

gongos

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2010, 12:36 am »
Just wondering if anyone on here has experienced the 801A converted to the Platinum upgrade, but just as a power amp? I am trying to decide whether or not to have an 801A upgraded by Bill as the integrated, or as just a power amp. It would seem that run with an outstanding active pre, the 801 could be quite good? Thanks

I have Bill's personal 801a he had for years. I had another one a few years before and always regretted selling it, hence the purchase of Bill's. The 801 is a great amp. Every bit as good as the Odyssey "glass ceiling" monoblocks I owned, and better then pretty much everything else I've tried. The vocals sound perfect with this amp, and the bass has good authority/slam. At the price the 801a would be my default choice. Take my word and just buy the damn thing.

sjh500

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:23 am »
Thanks for the replies guys. Gongos, I am definitely getting one...what preamp are you using with it?

gongos

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2010, 03:46 am »
Ironically, mine's sitting right now. Breaking in a pair of Bella 60's. I did use it with one of Bill's L/P preamps--a very good match.

sjh500

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2010, 05:03 am »
Yes, that makes sense...if yours is sitting, are you selling? :D