BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #20 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:01 pm »
^^^^

The USB formating is interesting, I have just bought two pendrives a 128GB and 64GB to start putting my music on and under Windows 7 you only have the options of NTFS and exFAT. I would really like the option to push and pull files from the drive. James will exFAT become supported or the ability to push to NTFS?

Has anyone experimented with using a utility to force FAT32 onto a larger drive? 

Cheers

Hi Alpha10

There are utility programs that can format Fat32 -I use one called HPUSBDISK

james

Alpha10

« Reply #21 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:02 pm »
"exFAT is a proprietary, patent-pending file system suited especially for USB flash drives, introduced by Microsoft"

"Microsoft has not released the official exFAT file specification, and a license from Microsoft is required in order to make and distribute exFAT implementations"

Anyone here thinks that it makes sense to pay a license in order to use a format with no official specification?

Nap.

NO, Microsoft are a PITA....

Alpha10

« Reply #22 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:03 pm »
Hi Alpha10

There are utility programs that can format Fat32 -I use one called HPUSBDISK

james

Cheers, I'll give it a go, you found no problems with bigger drives and the BDP-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:08 pm »
If I use my iPod touch to control the BDP-1 through the interface, will it do all the same functions as the Bryston remote will? If so, great, if not, what will both the Touch and Bryston remote be able to control?

The Bryston BR-2 remote is very basic - it will just do Next and Previous, Stop, Play and Pause , Volume on the Bryston preamps.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:30 pm »
Cheers, I'll give it a go, you found no problems with bigger drives and the BDP-1?

Works great - I have used up to 320G USB drives.  Reformatting also gets ride of all the programs loaded on the USB that are not required.

james

Vipers

« Reply #25 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:54 pm »
Hi Vipers,

No problem with both connected at the same time.

james

Thanks for the replies James and Werd, I'll give some feedback once I've had a chance to do some back to back tests with the AES-EBU against the S/Pdif.

werd

« Reply #26 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:03 pm »
The Bryston BR-2 remote is very basic - it will just do Next and Previous, Stop, Play and Pause , Volume on the Bryston preamps.

james

It does phase too.... And if i remember you can switch out inputs on the bda.  :scratch:

loopyground

« Reply #27 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:45 pm »
Email me at jamestanner@bryston.com with the serial number and where purchased.

james
Thanks for the latest BDP-1 update software.  Installation all worked flawlessly as expected from Bryston. :thumb:  Not like my past experiences with Logitech Squeezebox Server updates!!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:54 pm »
It does phase too.... And if i remember you can switch out inputs on the bda.  :scratch:

Correct assuming you have a Bryston preamp and BDA-1 DAC.

james

Ritchief

« Reply #29 on: 9 Feb 2011, 07:50 pm »
James,

I have updated the software as you sent emailed, however I now cant see all my music, how do I now scroll down via the MAX software.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 9 Feb 2011, 07:52 pm »
James,

I have updated the software as you sent emailed, however I now cant see all my music, how do I now scroll down via the MAX software.

Are you using an iPad?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 9 Feb 2011, 09:00 pm »
Hi Folks,

Different browsers (Firefox, Chome, Safari, Explorer) react differently to the MINI and MAX interfaces.  Even different versions of the same browser can respond differently. We test with the latest versions of the browsers so if your using the Bryston Mini or Max interface please use the latest versions of your browser if possible.

We do not recommend Explorer.  We highly recommend Firefox as it works well with the Mini and Max as well as a terrific add on music player called MINION.

Also if you're using a PC check out 'GNOME MUSIC PLAYER CLIENT' - it does not even need a browser to communicate with the BDP-1

james

loopyground

« Reply #32 on: 9 Feb 2011, 09:24 pm »
I just got another iPod Touch to control the BDP-1 but I can't remember how I get the BDP-1 app onto the iPod Touch.  Can anyone help me on this please?
Thanks   

werd

« Reply #33 on: 9 Feb 2011, 09:43 pm »
I just got another iPod Touch to control the BDP-1 but I can't remember how I get the BDP-1 app onto the iPod Touch.  Can anyone help me on this please?
Thanks

Go to the itune store (you need an account). Visit the app centre and type in mpod for general search. Mpod is free and you need to sync it onto your ipod. So plug the ipod touch into your computer.....

JimB-MN

« Reply #34 on: 9 Feb 2011, 10:08 pm »
Thanks

To control your BDP with your iPod both must be connected to your network.  Assuming you have already connected your iPod I'm pretty sure (not positive) that you can log on to the App Store directly.  If you can, search for MPOD.  Install it and the rest is fairly easy.  If you have problems Google MPOD and you'll find a forum where you can get help. 

Ritchief

« Reply #35 on: 9 Feb 2011, 10:19 pm »

Hi Folks,

Different browsers (Firefox, Chome, Safari, Explorer) react differently to the MINI and MAX interfaces.  Even different versions of the same browser can respond differently. We test with the latest versions of the browsers so if your using the Bryston Mini or Max interface please use the latest versions of your browser if possible.

We do not recommend Explorer.  We highly recommend Firefox as it works well with the Mini and Max as well as a terrific add on music player called MINION.

Also if you're using a PC check out 'GNOME MUSIC PLAYER CLIENT' - it does not even need a browser to communicate with the BDP-1

james

James,

I  have downloaded firefox and eventually got it too work....

Tks,

Rich..

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 9 Feb 2011, 10:27 pm »
James,

Tks,

Rich..

Hi Rich,

Great - i sent you a few emails so please ignore them.

james

Ritchief

« Reply #37 on: 9 Feb 2011, 11:43 pm »
James,

Tks,

Rich..

Just to qualify and relate my above posts back to the subject matter, I can confirm that using the Bryston Software is considerably better using Firefox over Explorer. The reason being that Explorer does not provide the user with the full functionality of the BDP. In particular the "Network Config" & "Change Theme" within the settings screen.

So to sum up, I am now using the BDP via Firefox with Minion & Gnome Music Player with great success than previously, therefore, dont waste your time with Explorer. I cannot comment on using a Apple device with the BDP as I am yet to own one.

Thanks to James for his assistance - I just need the Hex & Pronto codes now and I will be a V. Happy repeat customer!!!!

When is the SP3 going to be released ??

Regards,

Richard.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2011, 01:10 pm by Ritchief »

jstrouth

« Reply #38 on: 9 Feb 2011, 11:48 pm »
This may be a dumb question... but here goes.  I'm considering a new laptop, which, of course, will be used to load up the external drive to feed the BDP.
It seems like NTFS is the preferred format option.  Will a Mac support writing to an NTFS drive?  And will Mac support the BDP control options available?
Any other considerations re the BDP that would sway the Mac vs PC decision?
Thanks!

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #39 on: 10 Feb 2011, 12:05 am »
Perhaps this thread is a good candidate to be “thumb tacked.” If individuals do not make any posts for a week or so, it could easily become buried and harder to locate.

Be well…