Buying used

saarnold

Buying used
« on: 31 Jul 2022, 01:24 pm »
Hi all,
May be buying a used Bryston BDA 3 (2017 model 000571).
Just wondered if there is anything I should be aware of or look out for as I am relatively new to the digital side of HiFi.
I think it has the HDMI board fitted so it is fully featured.
Is it able to take all the latex updates ect
The dealer I am buying from says it’s in superb condition and looking at the photos it looks that way.
Thanks
In advance

Saarnold

thorman

Re: Buying used
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2022, 03:22 pm »
 I guess I would think about Repairs, since it is no longer under warranty. Also ask Bryston before you buy if there are parts and the ability to have it repaired if and when it needs it.

gbaby

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2022, 01:16 pm »
Hi all,
May be buying a used Bryston BDA 3 (2017 model 000571).
Just wondered if there is anything I should be aware of or look out for as I am relatively new to the digital side of HiFi.
I think it has the HDMI board fitted so it is fully featured.
Is it able to take all the latex updates ect
The dealer I am buying from says it’s in superb condition and looking at the photos it looks that way.
Thanks
In advance

Saarnold

I'd buy it in a heartbeat if the price is right. These units don't break down.

vonnie123

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2022, 05:29 pm »
Bryston gear is very reliable.  BDA-3 is a current model, so parts “should” be available. 

Does your dealer offer a brief warranty period?  30 days, 60 days?

DACs on whole don’t fail much.

CSI

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2022, 07:02 pm »
Buying a used Bryston DAC should be a very safe bet. Unless there are cosmetic issues, it will be as good as a new one - and it's already broken in (if you believe that DACs need breaking in....)

AudioDuck

• Music. It’s all about the music.
« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2022, 02:45 am »
I second the points of this being a safe purchase.

Please keep in mind that DACs/digital players have no moving parts of significance, and the chipsets in them have very long lifespans. If there is not immediate failure in a unit like that (due to some soldering issue or a bum chip), chances are very low that there will be any issues for many years.

Add in the high-quality gear Bryston makes (20 year warranty?!), and, well- you get my drift.

As an example, I bought a Schiit DAC a few years ago, and it’s performed flawlessly- similar logic applies to their gear… good quality, North-America-based, no moving parts (other than buttons/switches that are rated for thousands of presses/actions).

Enjoy your purchase, the Bryston BDAs have received great reviews!

Enjoy the music,
Egil

RonN5

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2022, 01:20 pm »
For me, two of the key points for buying preowned:

Repairs - no problem...there are numerous repair sites if you ever need a repair

Resale - Bryston is an easy brand to resell, relatively speaking and it will hold its value better than most brands

Good Luck

mrhyfy

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2022, 02:06 pm »
Just to clarify, Bryston does NOT offer the famous 20 year warranty on digital products. It's 5 years.
Another consideration, why buy from a dealer unless he/she gives you something in return for paying a higher preice than say A'gone or CAM?  I would expect some limited warranty or return privilege.

zoom25

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2022, 06:27 pm »
Just to clarify, Bryston does NOT offer the famous 20 year warranty on digital products. It's 5 years.
Another consideration, why buy from a dealer unless he/she gives you something in return for paying a higher preice than say A'gone or CAM?  I would expect some limited warranty or return privilege.

Correct. 5 years on BDAs and BDPs.

Also, some dealers will also charge you tax on that higher list price for those used units. Meanwhile, if you buy direct from a customer, lower price and no tax typically.