Speaker modification

Coleyzzzz

Speaker modification
« on: 2 May 2024, 09:20 am »
:popcorn: i am curiousas to what one would do with regard sto modifying a  pair of speakers....I mean how would one upgrade say a pair of new Cerwin  Vega SL 12's. ? If 9ne of you were hypotheticaly given said set...what would be your first upgrade? :stupid:

toocool4

Re: Speaker modification
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2024, 02:49 pm »
First thing I would do is, refuse to take it. :lol:

Try GR-Research for inspiration, they are always modifying speakers. https://gr-research.com/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2024, 02:58 pm »
:popcorn: i am curiousas to what one would do with regard sto modifying a  pair of speakers....I mean how would one upgrade say a pair of new Cerwin  Vega SL 12's. ? If 9ne of you were hypotheticaly given said set...what would be your first upgrade? :stupid:
My suggestion is dont buy a new speaker that you will need to modify to become palatable, instead buy a better speaker, unless its for free.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2024, 04:14 pm »
Just remembered a simple low cost upgrade:
Remove the crossover from inside to outside the enclosure will decrease ressonance in the xover board, that maybe result in some better sound ymmv.

Zuman

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2024, 05:13 pm »
I'm sure you've already considered this, but you can think about the individual components of your speakers, and then how those components work together.
For example, your existing speakers have a box or "cabinet." Is is sufficiently inert (well-braced, rigid, etc.)? If not, can you improve that? If you wish to keep the existing boxes, have you calculated their theoretical frequency parameters using one of the online calculators (you can input the electromechanical properties of different drivers and see how things change)? But doing things like changing drivers also likely means changing crossovers, and even the drivers' placement in the baffle may be compromised.
Cerwin Vega speakers are known for being "fun," but not particularly "accurate" or adept at reproducing subtleties. I think it's unlikely that you will be able to improve the overall performance to make them more audiophile-like in a cost-effective manor, with the possible exception of reducing cabinet flex and resonance. I'd enjoy them for what they are, and when you decide that you'd like different qualities you can go looking for a different set of speakers that has what you are looking for.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2024, 08:03 pm »
... how would one upgrade say a pair of new Cerwin  Vega SL 12's. ?

I think if you did anything to the speakers they would lose that indescribable je ne sais quoi Cerwin Vega is known for.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2024, 11:31 pm »
That's certainly the first thing I think of whever someone says 'Cerwin Vega'

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2024, 01:06 am »
I think if you did anything to the speakers they would lose that indescribable je ne sais quoi Cerwin Vega is known for.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2024, 10:10 am »
Not meant to be insulting in any way to the OP, and I'll explain why shortly, but the best thing you can do with Cerwin Vega speakers is sell them.  I keep an eye on the used market in my area and CV speakers are selling for exorbitant prices.  They're a cheaply made party speaker, but the name is well known and much like Bose has an impression of old school quality among the uninitiated.  Anything CV is going for hundreds of dollars around here, if I cared I'd run an eBay search to check national prices, but I suspect that doesn't hold on the national market where buyers are more educated.  Put em up on your local Facebook marketplace, collect a few hundred Dollars, and buy something much nicer.

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2024, 02:29 pm »
Family member still owns the Yamaha AX-700U and Cerwin 12 inch speakers they bought in 1982.  They are perfect for classic/prog rock and just filling a room with sound.  I will not soon forget hearing Asia, Genesis, Skynyrd, Pink Floyd and other late 70's/early 80's gems on those when my folks would go out and I would CRANK that setup in the mid 80's.

Sadly one woofer seized up so he put them into his storage unit about 5 years ago and they are still there waiting to be looked over.

I'd leave them alone.  If you're looking for more sound quality, there are many options.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2024, 08:53 pm »
Cerwin  Vega SL 12

I have modified many loudspeakers. I would not purposely choose this one.

1/ brace the box.
2/ Puzzlekoat the woofer
3/take a router to the front edges of the box.
3/ wire?
4/ XO?

dave
« Last Edit: 4 May 2024, 07:06 am by planet10 »

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2024, 12:03 am »
Bracing the box is easy and fun to do

PlastiClay on the woofer baskets remove resonances, tightens the bass and cheap to do

Line the inside of the cabinet with 2 layers of self-stick floor tile, use 3M Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive on the floor tile too. Even though the tile is self-stick it is designed to be used on floors. Stick them on a wall or vertical surface and sometimes they peal off. The 3M adhesive makes them stick permanently. Glue 1" open cell foam over the tile.

Experiment with 1/4" - 3/8" foam around the tweeter to tame high frequencies