Super Typhoon

htradtk

Super Typhoon
« on: 18 Oct 2016, 11:02 pm »
All,

Even though we all love VSA, let's hope our good friend Jack and the wonderful people of the Philippines stay safe through Super Typhoon Haima (Lawin). Jack, please let us know and stay safe!

Henry

JackD201

Re: Super Typhoon
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2016, 12:54 am »
Hi Henry

Fingers crossed. As of today it's just overcast. Not even breezy. Calm before the storm?

Jack

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2016, 01:44 am »
Indeed, stay safe!

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2016, 06:29 am »
Thanks guys!!

htradtk

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2016, 10:17 pm »
Jack, looks like the storm has passed into the China Sea, hope everyone and you are OK. Now you can enjoy those wonderful speakers!

Henry

JackD201

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2016, 12:01 am »
Thanks Henry. I hope my countrymen up north are okay.

I got this from Leif and Damon this morning. I wanna play with these. Assembly starts today :)

tvyankee

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2016, 03:59 am »
Wow.  That speaker reminds me a lot of VSW old db99

Like the red.

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2016, 01:48 pm »
The 99 was indeed the inspiration for the semi active VR-44 and later the VR-55, according to Albert and Damon. The DB99 remains one of Damon's favorites. :)

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2016, 03:50 pm »
Thanks Henry. I hope my countrymen up north are okay.

I got this from Leif and Damon this morning. I wanna play with these. Assembly starts today :)

..so are you going to use their drivers and crossover or will this be a JackD201 DIY project?  The cabinets for the 44 and 55 are the same but that's where the similarity ends.  Keep us in the loop old buddy!

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2016, 12:42 pm »
It's a standard 55 buddy no mods. Only the color is custom since it is a show pair. I didn't ask for any mods, they know best ;)

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2016, 01:15 pm »
..I got the impression from your post that you received the cabinets...duh...sorry

JackD201

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2016, 10:55 pm »
Actually I should be the one to apologize. I see now that I wasn't clear. That is California sunshine though :D

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2016, 02:00 am »
Jack,

All of us at VSA and Endeavor are glad that you and your family are safe, the news of the storm was all we could think about. You dodged another bullet!

Damon and Leif can't wait to see you and Jimmy again. Jimmy reports that the sub tower alignment you accomplished for him is amazing, so you'll need to show my boys how you set all of the four controls on each of the 8 sub amps. Due to time constraints, I was not able to experiment with acoustically aiming the subwoofer pressure wave and directivity, so I'm glad that you undertook this project. 

As far as I know, the ULTRA VR-111XS is the only consumer product on the market with this ability.  When Steve of WhatsBestForum visited you and Jimmy, had you finished the acoustic woofer alignment?  As a Wilson owner who is quite close to Dave and his company, Steve shocked me when he announced to the Forum that your system, along with Jimmys system, were "the best systems that he has ever heard." Congratulations are in order, as you've proven to be a Grand Master of audio system setup!

Are you going to Singapore for our world premier of the ULTRA 11 on November 25?  If you go, have Bobby, our Distributer there, introduce you to the owner of ULTRA 11 serial number 0001. His name is Mr Toh and presently owns VR-11SE Mk2.

Best regards,
Albert

JackD201

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2016, 01:47 pm »
Hi Albert!

Thanks for the very kind words! I dunno about being a master, I guess you can say I'm not afraid to explore :)  Yes Steve was present when I did the adjustments I had had in my head for some time. Glad the theory matched up with reality :D

The original plan was for me to take the family to Singapore since the 25th also happens to be Marge's birthday. However we have a very big event in our province that was scheduled for that day so we will be staying here. It's the 20th Anniversary of a program we have that honors the best public school teachers. A few days later we open the doors to a new hospital. :)  I'm very much looking forward to hanging out with Damon and finally meeting Leif in person. Don't worry, I'll make sure they have a lot of fun but not too much ;) :D

Is Mr. Toh the gentleman that uses 11Mk2s with the humongous Naim Statement electronics? That system must be KILLER!

Jack

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2016, 10:27 pm »
Jack,

Indeed it is Mr Toh that owns those giant Naim amps. We hope they sound as good as they look. I believe they're in the megabuck price range.

Cheers,
Albert