Speaker cables for VR IV-jr's

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
Re: Speaker cables for VR IV-jr's
« Reply #20 on: 20 Aug 2016, 09:52 pm »
Thanks, everybody.  I am satisfied that the BHK 250 is now broken in, after 300+ hours (not an amp for the impatient) -- I just put up a few comments in the "amps that work with VSA" thread.  Now I will start looking into cables more seriously.  I've looked at Analysis Plus and will check out Zu Audio and Triode.  Delacroix's comments remind me that the cables I have now can't be too bad, since I have no trouble hearing how the BHK changed with break-in or when I substitute a different DAC or preamp.  But I do want to get some really good cables since I plan on keeping this amp for a while (the MasterBuilts, unfortunately, are out of my price range).
[/quote

By the way, which tubes are you using?  Stock?  I'm using the Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 from thetubestore.com.   Magic!]

magister

« Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2016, 10:19 pm »
I only need 5 feet lengths, since the amp sits between the speakers.

I'm still using the stock tubes in my BHK, but have purchased a set of the Tungsram PCC88.  I'll try them soon -- just want to be totally sure the amp is broken in first.  I hope they will sound magical in my system  8) !

magister

« Reply #22 on: 5 Sep 2016, 05:31 pm »
Just to bring this thread up to date: I ended up with a used set of Analysis Plus Oval 9's; thanks to the several people who mentioned this.  So far it's working out very well, sweet-sounding yet detailed.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2016, 04:08 am »
Just to bring this thread up to date: I ended up with a used set of Analysis Plus Oval 9's; thanks to the several people who mentioned this.  So far it's working out very well, sweet-sounding yet detailed.

Congrats Magister:)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #24 on: 7 Sep 2016, 02:42 am »
Have you noticed any accentuated sibilants?  I read a review that said the Oval's are very detailed but that they may accentuate sibilants and they were not recommended for a system that leans on the bright side.  I was thinking about buying the AP Chocolate Ovals which is the same cable but a slightly smaller gauge at 12g. to replace my 10g Blue Jean cable but I am bit hesitant after reading that review.

BigSwede

« Reply #25 on: 7 Sep 2016, 03:02 am »
Have you noticed any accentuated sibilants?  I read a review that said the Oval's are very detailed but that they may accentuate sibilants and they were not recommended for a system that leans on the bright side.  I was thinking about buying the AP Chocolate Ovals which is the same cable but a slightly smaller gauge at 12g. to replace my 10g Blue Jean cable but I am bit hesitant after reading that review.
I'm guessing the review you read was of the yellow Oval Nines. I have had the older purple Oval Nines for many years and have never noticed anything sibilant issues, and that is something to which I am very sensitive. But the newer yellow version Oval Nines are cleaner (perhaps overly so) and leaner in the bass than the purple ones. I compared them, and for my system I preferred the purples, they just sounded more real and 3-dimensional. But AP will tell you the yellow Nines (which have a different dielectric) measure "better", for whatever that is worth.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #26 on: 7 Sep 2016, 03:47 am »
I'm guessing the review you read was of the yellow Oval Nines. I have had the older purple Oval Nines for many years and have never noticed anything sibilant issues, and that is something to which I am very sensitive. But the newer yellow version Oval Nines are cleaner (perhaps overly so) and leaner in the bass than the purple ones. I compared them, and for my system I preferred the purples, they just sounded more real and 3-dimensional. But AP will tell you the yellow Nines (which have a different dielectric) measure "better", for whatever that is worth.

Here is the review in question.  I am very sensitive to sibilants especially with Magnepan 1.6 speakers.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/analysisplus_cables_followup.htm

I guess I should call AP and speak to them about the Chocolate Ovals.  I need 2x13' and was thinking about buying the bare wire as my Pass amp and Maggies don't need spades or plugs.  I am looking to tweak my system a little bit to make it a little warmer overall.  I am at that point where all my electronics are in place and now just tweaking things to see if I can make subtle changes without breaking the bank.

JackD201

« Reply #27 on: 7 Sep 2016, 05:49 am »
In my old system a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away which consisted of Levinson No332, Proceed AVP2 and 1.6QRs, the 1.6s were pretty bright and I am pretty tolerant of transients. They did sound right when the supplied resistor was applied. Could have been the speakers, the room or anything else really. If it was the Purple 9s in the review I wouldn't pin it on the cables. They erred in fact on the polite side with all of the speakers (A lot!) I paired them with. They ended up with a friend who uses VR-4jr Mk1s with ML electronics. He's had the set for almost 10 years and never thought of changing anything.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #28 on: 7 Sep 2016, 02:12 pm »

Measure the 2001 Soundstage review against say, the Stereophile or Stereo Times review of the Oval 9's.  Better yet, listen to a pair in your system.  As Albert once told me, the AP Oval 9's "are the sweetest cables, cost no object" when I was looking to pair my VR4Jrs up. I used the bi-oval 9's on the Jr's, VR5 Annies, VR5's & dB99's with a variety of electronics.  No coloration or hint of exaggeration.     Even better these days, the MasterBuilt cables! You might contact Leif to explore MB options.

magister

« Reply #29 on: 7 Sep 2016, 02:36 pm »
Have you noticed any accentuated sibilants?
You've already gotten good advice from people who got here before me.  I have heard no sibilance.  I would just point out that I have an older pair with the purple jackets.  Even though AP says that their current models are still based on their "patented hollow oval geometry" or whatever they call it, the newer models may sound a little different.  (I haven't heard them.)

BTW, I am sensitive to any harshness/glare/excessive treble so I know what it's like trying to get a system that is neutral and lets you see into the music without going into places that make for unpleasant listening.  Not an easy balancing act.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #30 on: 7 Sep 2016, 03:55 pm »

You might give blue jeans cable a try.

Cheers
                                      Charlie

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #31 on: 7 Sep 2016, 05:36 pm »
  You might give blue jeans cable a try.

Cheers
                                      Charlie

Thanks, but I am already using Blue Jeans 10g speaker wire.  I was using a Blue Jeans XLR and switched over to an AQ Colombia 72v DBS XLR which made a very noticeable difference.  Much blacker background, more clarity, detail and a decrease in sibilants.  I was not expecting such a change as I was a skeptic about Interconnects as I had not heard much of a difference in the past.  Although I have heard significant differences in USB cables.  So I am hoping that I will have a positive improvement with speaker cables however slight they may be.

I just sent off an email to Analysis Plus asking them about their Chocolate Ovals which can be bought in bulk for $6.67/foot.

Larry

Charles Calkins

« Reply #32 on: 7 Sep 2016, 09:57 pm »
Thanks, but I am already using Blue Jeans 10g speaker wire.  I was using a Blue Jeans XLR and switched over to an AQ Colombia 72v DBS XLR which made a very noticeable difference.  Much blacker background, more clarity, detail and a decrease in sibilants.  I was not expecting such a change as I was a skeptic about Interconnects as I had not heard much of a difference in the past.  Although I have heard significant differences in USB cables.  So I am hoping that I will have a positive improvement with speaker cables however slight they may be.

I just sent off an email to Analysis Plus asking them about their Chocolate Ovals which can be bought in bulk for $6.67/foot.

Larry

Thanks for your input on blue jeans speaker cable. I am also using the 10 gauge wires in my system.
  I need 60 feet of speaker wire to Bi wire my system.So at $6.67 a foot it would cost maybe $400.00
  for the Analysis plus speaker wire.
  I'll stick with what I have now.

Cheers
                                                                     Charlie

magister

« Reply #33 on: 7 Sep 2016, 10:48 pm »
I was using a Blue Jeans XLR and switched over to an AQ Colombia 72v DBS XLR which made a very noticeable difference.  Much blacker background, more clarity, detail and a decrease in sibilants.
Thanks for posting this!  I am having so much fun with my BHK 250 amp that I have decided to get the matching preamp as soon as I can.  PS Audio says that balanced is the best way to connect the two, especially for long runs.  So I started looking around at interconnects.  I need 10', which can get pricey when new, and can be hard to find used.  I thought about Blue Jeans.  I finally found a demo pair of AQ Columbia at a good price and bought them -- hopefully they will work as well in my system as they do in yours!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #34 on: 8 Sep 2016, 03:25 am »
Thanks for your input on blue jeans speaker cable. I am also using the 10 gauge wires in my system.
  I need 60 feet of speaker wire to Bi wire my system.So at $6.67 a foot it would cost maybe $400.00
  for the Analysis plus speaker wire.
  I'll stick with what I have now.

Cheers
                                                                     Charlie

If I needed 60' of wire I would stick with BJ's too.  BJC speaker wire works just fine and I have no complaints.  I am pretty skeptical about hearing a difference but  I have about $25K in 2ch electronics and figure that it is worth the risk for $180 of speaker cable, especially since my AQ and Cardas Parsec XLR's cost way more.  Although I got a sweet deal from music direct for my Colombia XLR's for $180pr., normally over $400pr.