Are you always in the sweet spot?

K Shep

Are you always in the sweet spot?
« on: 22 Apr 2010, 10:36 pm »
I spent some time fine tuning my room.  First and second reflections.  Speaker placement...almost an hour getting it just right.  Now I find myself behind my listening chair "working" on my computer and listening to music. 

How often do you sit in your listening chair (sweet spot)? 

Kevin Haskins

Re: Are you always in the sweet spot?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2010, 10:41 pm »
Not according to my wife. 

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2010, 04:16 am »
I sit in the "sweet spot" quite often, but I still enjoy the music when I am up and about from it.  Purchasing a speaker that has great off-axis response and dispersion will help with situations like this. 

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2010, 04:33 am »
Hey!

Always when I listen to music. :D Unless my cat is already there than I have to share the sweet spot with him on my small listening chair  :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

K Shep

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2010, 05:08 am »
My listening room is in my attic.  I have a separate 5.1 -TV zone in my living room, powered by a Denon receiver.  I play my music library from my Mac (in the attic) to an Airport Express that is hooked up to the Denon that power a pair of ceiling speakers in my kitchen.  I find that I am listening to music downstairs when ever I can.  Its a great way to listen to newly purchased music that I may not be familiar with.  We simply are listening to way more music around the house than in years prior.

It's all about the music!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2010, 12:15 pm »
Like you I have a sweet spot (room/setup ala Cardas), but spend most my time directly behind "the" chair while working at my desk.  Am seriously considering getting a laptop next time and trying to work more from "the" chair.

While in "the" chair, the imaging pops into focus and so the detail improves.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2010, 12:31 pm »
I find it varies seasonally - here in Canada, during the winter I tend to spend more time inside, and thus more time listening to the system intently, and more often in the sweet spot.  During the summer months, I am more frequently outdoors, and thus less often down for listening sessions in general.

My main system is in my unfinished basement, and shares that space with my pool table.

Every week I play pool 3-10 hours, and the system is always on during those times, so those are times when I am listening but far from the sweet spot.

I like it equally when directly seated, or floating around the basement with tunes on.

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2010, 12:43 pm »
Like the two others above I am often sitting at the desk behind my listening chair.  I like the set up and desk work has to get done...helps paying bills with music on.
I am not so critical with this as half a song will go buy and I miss it.  :)

Bigfish

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2010, 12:50 pm »
I find it varies seasonally - here in Canada, during the winter I tend to spend more time inside, and thus more time listening to the system intently, and more often in the sweet spot.  During the summer months, I am more frequently outdoors, and thus less often down for listening sessions in general.

While I live in N.C, not in Canada, I think this reflects my listening habits.  However, I expect to receive a new amp next week and this may change my previous tendancies. :eyebrows:

Ken

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2010, 04:26 am »
It's all about the music!

Yes!  :guitar: :rock: :beer:

mjosef

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2010, 05:14 am »
Nope...still sounds good within the room-space. 

decal

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2010, 06:32 pm »
No,definitely not.I couldn't live with a system that only sounded good in one spot.

low.pfile

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2010, 06:57 pm »
Not me either.  My main system is used for about 40% of all of my listening. When the main system is on, I probably sit down only three times a month in the sweet spot; not often.

My office set up I am nearfield in the 'sweetspot' but of course with a big ol reflective 24" screen in the middle.

cheers, ed