To DAC or not to DAC

ccpeabody

To DAC or not to DAC
« on: 18 Jan 2020, 12:46 pm »
First off, apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.  I've just discovered AudioCircle and am still getting used to all the sub forums.

I was thinking of getting into vinyl again when I discovered Tidal.  I'm new to Tidal and streaming HiRez music.  I'm currently streaming from my MacBook Pro Laptop via hardwire to my Anthem MRX510 Receiver.  I would guess I'm not taking advantage of the HiRez portion of the service as I think my Laptop is acting as the DAC in this case and I have no clue what kind of signal quality is leaving the Laptop.

My questions are... A)  Would I notice a difference if I were to pick up a Bryston BDA-1, 2 or 3 with Tidal?  B)  Would I just hardwire my Laptop to the DAC first and then to the receiver or Amp or would that not still utilize the Laptop DAC?  C)
 Lastly, would I notice a substantial difference if I routed my Oppo BDP-103 (playing a CD) out to a DAC, like the Bryston BDA series, before sending it to a receiver or Amp?  (Good sound being subjective)

Cheers!

Bluish

Re: To DAC or not to DAC
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2020, 05:22 pm »
You could see if your model MacBook Pro has an optical digital connection hidden in the headphone jack. I’m using my MacBook this way and I bypass the laptop DAC and send the optical input to my receiver and use the receiver DAC (or you could use external DAC). Check laptop specs for outputs and see if it has optical. You use a Toslink cable with a special mini jack (3.5mm?) adaptor. See pic. You can adjust the output in Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app

Bluish

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2020, 05:26 pm »
P.S. I set the optical output using Audio MIDI Setup to 24bit/96 kHz
Chris

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2020, 06:27 pm »
To put it bluntly, the DAC in your laptop sucks for music.  You should definitely get an external DAC.  Since you're a vinyl lover, I'd steer you away from the Bryston gear which tends to sound very detailed but not tonally rich and more toward a company like iFi audio which has great DACs which sound better from a tonal standpoint. 

I'd also ditch Tidal and get Qobuz, as Qobuz sounds better and is running a special - $15 per month for unlimited hirez streaming.  And it's true hirez, not the fake hirez that's "folded" into MQA that Tidal uses. 

Samoyed

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2020, 07:26 pm »
Funny, really, how folks’ experiences can vary regarding the same ‘facts.’  I was a cd only guy two years ago, with 20 year old gear, facing your issues. I went to a preamp/DAC, and a new CD player. Then I discovered streaming and bought a streamer with mqa. I got Roon, and tried both qbuz and Tidal. I stuck with Tidal and crap canned qball. Sum: buy some combination of a preamp, DAC and streamer, and any streaming service and very likely you’ll use streaming services 99% of the time and love it.

I have a Nuprime Evo DAC, nuprime CD player and Innuous zen mini mkiii streamer cd ripper and I’m in heaven. 

srb

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2020, 07:36 pm »
I'm currently streaming from my MacBook Pro Laptop via hardwire to my Anthem MRX510 Receiver.

Not sure exactly what "hardwire" means.  Are you using

(a) an analog cable from the MacBook combo headphone jack into RCA analog inputs on the receiver (thereby utilizing the MacBook's internal DAC)

or

(b) an optical Mini Toslink cable from the MacBook combo headphone jack into an optical input on the receiver (thereby using the receiver's internal DAC)?

ccpeabody

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2020, 11:01 pm »
Not sure exactly what "hardwire" means.  Are you using

(a) an analog cable from the MacBook combo headphone jack into RCA analog inputs on the receiver (thereby utilizing the MacBook's internal DAC)

or

(b) an optical Mini Toslink cable from the MacBook combo headphone jack into an optical input on the receiver (thereby using the receiver's internal DAC)?

Yes, by hardwired, I mean connected with a cable... exactly right.  I tried connecting my MacBook Pro to my Anthem MRX 510 Receiver via both a USB-C to 3.5mm headphone connector and a straight 3.5mm cable to RCA, but I was unable to get the MBP to output any higher than 48 KHz resolution.  After some serious Google-Time I think I have found the problem.  It seems the newer MBP's no longer have the co-located Toslink/3.5mm jack and can only stream 48 KHz?

At this point, I guess I'm totally confused, and about more than just one thing... LOL! 

I have no idea if I can stream DSD or MQA (I know Bryston does not support MQA at this time) files from my MBP somehow to an external DAC and therefore, no idea if I need just a DAC or both a streamer and a DAC.  I'm also confused with regards to the streamers and DAC's and the file support they require.  If I want the highest resolution I can get with Tidal, do both the streamer and the DAC need to support DSD or MQA or just the DAC?

As an alternative in my quest for high resolution sound, I have an Amazon Firestick and was able to instal the Tidal App.  The problem with that is that I have no idea what the audio resolution is at and can't seem to find a reference to it anywhere online.  It seems most folks are just happy to be able to use the application and don't really care what quality of sound they are achieving?

Apologies for the rambling and thanks to those that have taken the time to reply and those that may chime in.

« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2020, 02:33 am by ccpeabody »

ccpeabody

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2020, 12:43 am »
You could see if your model MacBook Pro has an optical digital connection hidden in the headphone jack. I’m using my MacBook this way and I bypass the laptop DAC and send the optical input to my receiver and use the receiver DAC (or you could use external DAC). Check laptop specs for outputs and see if it has optical. You use a Toslink cable with a special mini jack (3.5mm?) adaptor. See pic. You can adjust the output in Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app

Excellent information!

I searched for this all day, only to find that the newer MBP's no longer support that option.  Not sure what they are thinking over there at Apple... LOL! (I miss Steve Jobs!)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2020, 03:50 pm »
Welcome!

And thanks for the question.

Isn't streaming convenient (especially compared to vinyl)?  Never could much more than tolerate the surface noise.  So when I literally dropped my turntable 37 years ago I didn't look back. 

Yes, if sending an analog signal to your Anthem, the computer is doing the digital to analog conversion.  If sending a digital signal to the Anthem, the Anthem is doing the conversion. 

DACs built into computers/smart phones are almost universally considered low-fidelity, intended for MP-3/cheap earbud use.  Note also that they are located in an electrically "noisy" environment.  DACs built into amps/receivers should be better sound quality in a better environment.  The Firestick you bought is most surely a low-fidelity solution. 

If you want Tidal/MQA in the easiest way suggest looking into a NAD Node 2i ($550) or C658 ($1650).  Both are streamers/DACs/preamps using BlueSound operating system and are MQA compatible.  The C658 is described as a Node 2i on steroids and includes room correction software.

Otherwise to stream you'll need computer hardware/software to stream off the web (most recommend a dedicated computer with a 1 meter long USB cable) plus a DAC.  With the current market and quickly advancing DAC technology it's nearly pointless to spend over $500 for a DAC.  So DAC's should be considered disposable, making purchase of a Bryston or the like pretty pointless.  To wit: the Sabaj D5 ($470 from Amazon) uses the latest chip, is highly flexible, sounds great, and includes a volume control.  The Sabaj does not do MQA, but frankly that format is pretty much dead in the water, the only source being Tidal.  Personally I've never cared for it, as it manipulates the original recording. 

And honestly the recording makes much more difference than the format (any format beyond MP3).  If you don't believe me about formats there's a National Public Radio internet link to a comparison test.  Take it and hear for yourself. 

Last year I tried a heavily modded Apple mini that came with audiophile software and a variety of high-resolution formatted music, but wasn't impressed compared to my MacBook Air/iTunes/ripped CDs in a very nice audio system.  So I dropped back to a NAD M10 ($2750) that is a step up from the C658 with a built-in power amp and just run ripped CD's and Tidal.  And as a computer dummy am happy as a clam to be rid of computers (except as a wireless control option) and the resulting sound quality.   

Recently a good audio buddy came over and we compared his 20 year old Sony DVD player (State of the Art in its day) versus using it as just a transport versus ripped CDs from a flash drive.  Note that the M10, with a ESS 9028 DAC chip, was used with the transport option and ripped CDs option.  The M10 was used as the pre/power amp for all options.  We couldn't hear a significant difference with any of the three options.  So differences in DACs or various formats are minor compared to the quality of speakers, recordings, rooms, even amps.  So running your Oppo via a DAC might or might not sound better.  Even DAC junkies will tell you that the circuits around the DAC chip make most of the difference between DACs. 

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2020, 04:56 pm »
.....  (Good sound being subjective)
Cheers!
Isn't that always the case.  :D

You haven't described your system, so I'd assume kind of "mid-fi", if you will, and not a high level "Audiophile" system. For 90+% of people who just want decent sound this is good advice:
.....Sum: buy some combination of a preamp, DAC and streamer, and any streaming service and very likely you’ll use streaming services 99% of the time and love it......
Pertaining to this statement:
..... So differences in DACs or various formats are minor compared to the quality of speakers, recordings, rooms, even amps.....
I would only agree with this in reference to "mid-fi" systems. There can be enormous differences between dacs (even at similar price points) but they may only show those differences in a higher level system.

In general, getting music off a PC or laptop and into a dedicated server is a good thing for sound quality most would agree on, whether "mid-fi" or a high level system.  Innuous appears to be a very popular brand currently.  It seemed that half the rooms at a recent audio show were using one.

fbny71

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2020, 05:30 pm »
A cheap way to connect to your receiver is a Chromecast Audio (discontinued but still available for $50 or so).

24/192 but no MQA if you're interested. Or the regular video Chromecast or Crhomecast ultra which would use the DAC in your receiver and also stream video content from Tidal to your screen.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2020, 05:40 pm »
You’ve gotten a bunch of different advice, and none of it is wrong or right, just different. My advice: buy a Bluesound Node 2 or 2i streamer. Connect it to your system and listen through that for a while. If you feel you need better, a DAC can be added later on after you’ve got a feel for what you’ve got and what you’re looking for. I own and love Bryston gear, but your best bet at this point is to see what a streamer can do for you IMO. Thy analog and digital outputs into your receiver.

Safe and Sound sells new, open box, and B-stock stuff. I bought a few things from them and so have a few friends. Nothing but great experience with them.  The Node will stream the music on your computer, your subscription services, etc while being controlled by your phone. It’ll do high res, MQA, et al if you’re into that sort of thing.

Beyond that stuff, look into proper speaker placement. How they’re placed and the room they’re in will do more for your sound quality than pretty much anything else.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2020, 08:03 pm »
I agree with Stu Pitt. 

ccpeabody

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2020, 03:11 pm »
Gentlemen,

Can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply!

As Rusty Jefferson point out, I haven't described my system so it's hard to offer opinions.

I haven't really completed my system just yet but I have several different pieces from years gone past that I am trying to repurpose.

I'm currently using an Anthem MRX520 as a 5.1 solution and the Anthem is taking care of all duties including running the speakers.  We are not really TV people as we can't stomach all the commercials but we do enjoy streaming and use a 4K Firestick to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime.  I ran into trouble setting up our 5.1 system earlier this month as I discovered that my Panasonic Plasma TV would not pass 5.1 DD from the Firestick through the HDMI input of the television and out to my Proceed AVP-2 Pre.  My solution was to shelf the Proceed AVP-2 and utilize the Anthem MRX520 by plugging the Amazon 4K Firestick directly into the Anthem MRX520's HDMI input and enable 5.1 listening via that route.  Another solution could have been picking up a separate HDMI switch but I didn't want to make things more complicated than necessary.  Both my wife and I are getting older and complicated is getting more complicated :) .

Once I had 5.1 working via the Anthem receiver, I was disappointed to find that my 2 channel listening was no longer as enjoyable.  Previously, I had been using the Proceed AVP-2 as both a 5.1 & 2 channel solution.  The AVP-2 was sent to my Bryston 9B-SST and then out to various configurations of speakers.  Most enjoyable was when using the Bowers & Wilkins CDM-1NT's.  A mix and match of speakers wasn't perfect for surround sound but I was more concerned with 2 channel listening than anything else.  It was while searching for a better 2 channel solution that I discovered hi-resolution streaming and everything went sideways from there.

I have been reading for days on different solutions and on different streamers and DAC's.  I should come clean and admit that I am admittedly a bit of a Bryston fan.  I love their approach to equipment design and their sound.  I did give the NAD Node 2i some serious consideration but after reading several reviews, it has been suggested, on more than one occasion, that the sound of the 2i might pale in comparison to the Bryston BDA-3.  Again, opinions being subjective.  If we lived in a real city, I could just head to town and take a listen to both and decide from there.  Unfortunately that's not the case here and I have to rely on research, order online, then hope for the best.

With all this in mind, I've decided to purchase a used Bryston BDP-1 locally.  I know it's two generations old but I like the Bryston gear, I got a smoking deal, and I think it will suffice as a streamer for now with the new-ish Manic Moose firmware update.  I'm now on the lookout for a Bryston BDA-3 to handle the DAC duties.  I think this solution routed to my Proceed AVP-2 and then on to my 9B-SST should be more than satisfying for now.  If later I find that the BDP-1 can be improved on, it should be easy to sell at the price I paid.  I'll have to figure something else out to get 5.1 DD from the firestick to the AVP-2.

I still have no idea if I can stream any higher resolution than 48 KHz from my Macbook out to a DAC as all they have now are Thunderbolt 3 ports (USB-C) but have decided to give up on that in lieu of the cleaner solution of the BDP-1.

ccpeabody

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2020, 05:29 am »
Quick update for anyone that is interested.

Found a great deal on an open box Bryston BDA-3.  It will be in the post today.

I think this unit will also solve my Amazon Firestick streaming issue as I think it will pass 4K video via the HDMI ports.

I'll report back once it arrives and I have some time to play.

A_shah

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2020, 09:27 am »
The new macbook pro do not have an option to stream via toslink link I learned that when I purchased a 13 " this year for my college going  kid He  decided to use my old  2011  MBP and I got stuck with  the new MBP , I do have a Chord Mojo-DAC/Hp/pre/  but that option would cost you another 350 used to 550new  you can try connecting it via USB-C Digital Multiport adapter $ 69.99 from Apple  and see if that would do the trick   :popcorn:

Asghar

ccpeabody

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2020, 11:51 am »
The new macbook pro do not have an option to stream via toslink link I learned that when I purchased a 13 " this year for my college going  kid He  decided to use my old  2011  MBP and I got stuck with  the new MBP , I do have a Chord Mojo-DAC/Hp/pre/  but that option would cost you another 350 used to 550new  you can try connecting it via USB-C Digital Multiport adapter $ 69.99 from Apple  and see if that would do the trick   :popcorn:

Asghar

I've moved on from the MBP but did connect it via USB-C - HDMI and it looked like it gave me more options for resolution but I'm not convinced they are real.  I tried different settings and they all sounded the same.

A_shah

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2020, 11:56 pm »
I've moved on from the MBP but did connect it via USB-C - HDMI and it looked like it gave me more options for resolution but I'm not convinced they are real.  I tried different settings and they all sounded the same.

I Used my Audeze LCD-i4 Hi Rez headphones seems to give me the resolution of 24/192 , and can tell the difference , You need to go into the MIDI on the MacBook pro and change the setting to mojo/ /24/bit /192 - hope this helps ! use the usb/with Mojo USB cable that comes with the Mojo not the HDMI !