Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition - No RCA input?

tbabb

Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition - No RCA input?
« on: 9 Apr 2011, 02:10 pm »
I got a Audeze LCD-2 on order and started looking at Headphone amps.  I got a Vinyl rig with a tube phono stage with RCA output.  After looking at the Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition I can't figure out how I am going to listen to my vinyl on it. Am i missing something?

Tim

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition - No RCA input?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2011, 12:05 pm »
Hi Tim,

The Isabellina HPA LFP-V is the Isabellina dac with volume control and headphone output stage... so it
only features digital inputs.

The Isabella LFP-V (preamp) offers 3 analog inputs, 2 analog outputs, hi/lo gain, and can be configured with headphone stage and Isabellina dac board.

Regarding the headphone stage, something new and exciting that is coming out can be found here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/437559/isabellina-hpa-owner-s-thread-and-impressions/405#post_7391006

and:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/441696/red-wine-audio-isabellina-hpa/30#post_7350833

More details soon enough...

Vinnie

tbabb

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2011, 12:24 pm »
Interesting. I wonder if the final version (Isabellina) offer both unbalance and balanced outputs? Can I order it with both?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2011, 12:26 pm »
Interesting. I wonder if the final version will offer both unbalance and balanced outputs? Can I order it with both?

Balanced outputs is much different then XLR outputs.  I don't think the Isabellina is a fully balanced unit. 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2011, 12:35 pm »
All,

The 4-pin XLR shown on the front panel of the prototype unit linked to above is a true balanced, headphone output stage that is smokin' good  :smoke: and can drive even the most demanding headphones (HE-6s, K1000s, LCD-2s, etc.) in a way very few people have heard before (except those at the NY Headfi Meet who commented, but it will be getting even better.

A balanced to single-ended adapter would need to be used.

NOTE: this is NOT designed for IEMs.  IEMs are not my thing (never have been, and I cannot design something that I don't have passion for), but there are other great products out there that excel with IEMs. 

More details to follow...

Vinnie

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2011, 12:43 pm »
What about a fully balanced, battery powered, pre only?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2011, 01:34 pm »
What about a fully balanced, battery powered, pre only?

That is not in the line-up of things to come... at least not for a while.   To many other
goodies cookin' on the stove right now.

Best regards,

Vinnie

tbabb

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2011, 01:02 am »
Sorry, IEMs? :dunno:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2011, 01:07 am »
That is not in the line-up of things to come... at least not for a while.   To many other
goodies cookin' on the stove right now.

Best regards,

Vinnie

:thumbdown:   :thumb:

srb

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2011, 01:15 am »
Sorry, IEMs? :dunno:

In-Ear Monitors (iPod type - can be inexpensive entry-level consumer-grade up to $500+ audiophile grade).

Steve

kitten

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2011, 01:17 am »

Perhaps someone could explain this thread to a complete Dummy like me. There will at some stage be a new version of the Isabella with Balanced headphone stage  - and an adapter plug / cable will be needed for use with headphones that do not already have balanced terminations???

I don't really understand what Balanced means other than it's something to do with better grounding or something like that? (With RWA gear off the grid, why does it matter?)

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2011, 03:28 am »
I don't really understand what Balanced means other than it's something to do with better grounding or something like that?
Balanced has a "+" and a "-" for each channel (four wires). Single end has three wires (shared ground). So the adaptor coverts the multi-pin (four-wire) plug to standard stereo phone plug (three wires).

IF your headphones have four wires (many do). The better bet is to change the termination on your headphones to the plug that matches the balanced Isabella (easily done for many headphone models).

How does balanced sound compared to single end? For a given component (like Isabella), the balanced version should have more control over the drivers in the ear phones. Typically shows up as improved bass, larger soundstage and improved imaging and detail.

I owned several balanced rigs prior to going to all RWA. So just because a product is balanced does NOT mean it sounds better than ALL single end products. But typically when a vendor offers the same product in both single end and balanced versions, the balanced comes out on top.

There's more technical stuff behind this, but the basics come down to:

Balanced amp + headphones wired with balanced plug = best sound for a given amp

Hope this helps, Kent

kitten

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:20 am »
Thanks Kent, that is a great explanation.

Paganini Alfredo

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2011, 01:09 am »
All,

The 4-pin XLR shown on the front panel of the prototype unit linked to above is a true balanced, headphone output stage that is smokin' good  :smoke: and can drive even the most demanding headphones (HE-6s, K1000s, LCD-2s, etc.)
Vinnie

Can the single ended version in production now drive the HE-6?

alamakazam

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2011, 02:22 am »
I am so sad... lfp-v upgraded just a few months, now a new feature..