Cartridges choices for the Amadeus

mick wolfe

Cartridges choices for the Amadeus
« on: 25 Feb 2013, 04:50 pm »
I know most here are using low output carts, but I'm not quite ready to take the plunge just yet. Has anyone found a cart., either MM or hi-output MC,  that really sings with the Amadeus & arm. Currently using a Soundsmith SMMC2 and it does a lot of things really well..... strengths being tracking and quietness in the groove. Looking for something that retains these traits, but is a tad more warm and forgiving. Like to keep it below $1000. ( I know, here come the Denon 103 / SUT suggestions)

sunnydaze

Re: Cartridges choices for the Amadeus
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2013, 05:05 pm »
I love the HO Dyna 20x.  I own both the stock one and level 2 Soundsmith retip.  The latter is really really good.  No specific experience w it on the Amadeus, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.  I've heard it on many arms and many tables and it always shines.

I own and also recommend the Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood and Maestro.  A local buddy (AC member Triode Pete) has the Maestro on his WT Reference and it is spectacular.

I find all to be slightly warmish and full and musical.  All have worked on the following arms I have owned or borrowed:  Kuzma Stogi "s",    Kuzma Stogi,  Kuzma Stogi Reference,  SME V,  Linn Akito,  Linn Ittok LVII.

Good Luck!
John

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2013, 05:32 pm »
Yes the HO Dynas would seem to be a good match. I loved the XX-2 MkII SoundSmith rebuilt LOMC on my Amadeus. Mike Pranka could of course speak to this as he imports both the Dynas and the Amadeus.

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2013, 09:09 pm »
Hi Mick
Yes, the high output Dyna 20 is always good.
The Cartridge Man cartridges are great, like vastly improved Grados. And match well with most phono stages.

Again, no worries on matching cartridge and Amadeus. It'll take anything.
Key is cartridge and phono stage.

Again, that Soundsmith guy is a genius. Takes any great cartridge, puts a generic cantilever on and has folks believing they're hearing the original again. Wish I had come up with that. :)

vortrex

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2013, 09:15 pm »
OK I have to say it, 103R with an A23 SUT is really nice.

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2013, 09:26 pm »
Wholeheartedly agree with that.
Matching is all-important.

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2013, 01:00 am »

Again, that Soundsmith guy is a genius. Takes any great cartridge, puts a generic cantilever on and has folks believing they're hearing the original again. Wish I had come up with that. :)

Correction....

he makes it sound better!         :thumb:

at least to these old ears.  I have both.

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2013, 01:30 am »
These youngish ears tell me otherwise... :lol:

sunnydaze

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2013, 01:38 am »

OK, you win! 

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2013, 01:42 am »
Correction....

he makes it sound better!         :thumb:

at least to these old ears.  I have both.

What carts have you compared in this way? Was an alumInum cantilever replaced by ruby?

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2013, 01:56 am »
Now that's a good question-- I don't know. 
Regardless, if you're happy that's all that matters.
I prefer to go the manufacturer route. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2013, 02:02 am »
What carts have you compared in this way? Was an alumInum cantilever replaced by ruby?

Like I said in Reply #1,  I have a stock 20X and a level 2 Soundsmith re-tip 20X (ruby cantilever + nude contact line diamond).

Both are high output.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2013, 02:09 am »
Hi Mick
Yes, the high output Dyna 20 is always good.
The Cartridge Man cartridges are great, like vastly improved Grados. And match well with most phono stages.

Again, no worries on matching cartridge and Amadeus. It'll take anything.
Key is cartridge and phono stage.

Peter Lederman's ruby cantilever is no generic and his workmanship is equal to or better than many of the manufacturers whose cartridges he updates. I speak from experience. Long live Soundsmith!

threadkiller

« Reply #13 on: 26 Feb 2013, 02:16 am »
Calm down.  He's still just glueing in a cantilever.  He's not rebuilding like a manufacturer like Dynavector does.   
I'll go calmly now....  :cry:

sunnydaze

« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2013, 02:29 am »
Calm down.  He's still just glueing in a cantilever.  He's not rebuilding like a manufacturer like Dynavector does.   
I'll go calmly now....  :cry:

Doesn't mean the retip can't sound good.

I have directly compared both versions of the 20X cartridge -- stock vs retip -- over a long period of time, in a known and stable system.  Mine.  Have you?

threadkiller

« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2013, 02:42 am »
Hi,
If you mean the Soundsmith retip version, yes.
You can't get a manufacturer rebuild on a Dynavector below a XX2 level.
When I had my XV1s rebuilt it went back to Japan with a complete rebuild- like getting a new cartridge.

Perhaps for those of you with damaged cartridges below the XX2, at least in the Dynavector line, the Soundsmith is the way to go- certainly cheaper it would seem.  I would like to hear one of his originałs sometime. I've heard good and bad things, like anything else.
I also don't like Benz or Lyras.  Now I'm heading for the bunker!
Take care and enjoy.

coverto

« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2013, 04:49 am »
Now that the Clearaudio Maestro V2 is out, the original versions are popping up here and there in the $700 range. Hard to go wrong - they've got exactly what you're describing, a cartridge that's extremely hard to fault, IMO. And yes, sounds fantastic on my WTA, punches with some far more expensive carts.

mick wolfe

« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:05 pm »
I want to thank everyone for the very solid  list of suggestions. I've narrowed it to 3 options .....yes, including the Aud. 23 SUT/Denon 103. The Dynavector 20H  and the Clearaudio Maestro( the earlier version suggested by coverto). The Music Maker looked interesting until I saw the list price.....$1995... ouch! and no thx. Thx again..........Mick

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:08 pm »
I didn't recommend it because I have not heard it on an Amadeus, but I am curious about how a ZYX cart might be with the Amadeus. It is recommended to pair it with the heaviest Moerch armwand, so perhaps the Amadeus may not be ideal. But damn do I like my ZYX cart...

Mehran at Sorasound could speak to how well ZYX might match with the WTA. He is a fabulous guy to deal with.

roscoeiii

« Reply #19 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:09 pm »
I also seem to recall that folks really like EMT carts with the WTA as well.