Still Trying to Buy a Classic, this time on Audiogon

williamsims

Re: Still Trying to Buy a Classic, this time on Audiogon
« Reply #40 on: 24 Dec 2012, 05:06 pm »
Once again, Threadkiller, thanks very much for your help and that of your WTT friends.  I'll let you all know how this works out.  Best Wishes of the Seaons to you all -- Bill

williamsims

« Reply #41 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:04 pm »
Hi,everyone, happy new year to you all!

I've convinced the guy selling this WTT without the 15-year old Clearaudio reference.  The table is designated WTTS -- is the "S" for "super"?  Does anyone see anything objectionable?  It was bought second-hand at Soundex in 1998:

Thanks, Bill

Here's the URL in case anyone's interested:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-well-tempered-table-with-benz-reference-cartridge-well-tempered-table-2012-12-02-analog-19003

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #42 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:34 pm »
That's the WT Reference, no?
He's going to sell it without the cartridge and drop the price?
I don't see anything that would keep me from buying it except for the 2K pricetag.

williamsims

« Reply #43 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:45 pm »
Steve, thanks -- I offered $1150 and he took it.  Glad you think I should go ahead.  He's about an hour away from me so I don't have to mess with shipping.

I really appreciate everyone's good counsel in the Circle. -- Bill

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #44 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:50 pm »
Congratulations!
That's a very nice turntable.
Now for the cartridge choice - I use Ortofon 2M Black. 
If you go that route be prepared to be completely underwhelmed until it's got at least 50 hours on it.
Then one day it'll suddenly perk up!
They sold a hinge kit for that cover - don't bother.  You have to drill holes in the plinth and then the cover will eventually snap off at the hinges. 
While I think of it, if the azimuth wanders like crazy shoot CRC contact cleaner on the underside of the adjusting knob.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #45 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:57 pm »
That's the WT Reference, no?

The Well Tempered turntable pictured in the AudioGon ad appears to be a "Super" Arm & Table, a step above the WT Classic and a step below the Reference.

The "Super" appears to have 3 sections of sandwich'ed Fountainhead compared to the 3 layers of dense, MDF-like material on the Classic.

The Reference has 4 layers (2 piece sections) of Fountainhead and is bit more hefty.

The one on AudioGon appears to have the latest carbon fiber arm, a good thing...

My WT Price guide from 1994 has the Classic at $2495, the Super at $2995 and the Reference at $4495.

My $0.02,
Pete

williamsims

« Reply #46 on: 1 Jan 2013, 07:21 pm »
Thanks, guys, guess the S stands for "Super."  I'll check out the Ortofon.

threadkiller

« Reply #47 on: 1 Jan 2013, 07:31 pm »
Looks like a good condition table at a good price.
I don't like the black damped platter, see if you can find the clear acrylic somewhere.
See if you can hear other cartridges as well, not a fan of those Ortofons. ( sorry, I'll try not to sound like a crab!)

williamsims

« Reply #48 on: 1 Jan 2013, 07:57 pm »
Thanks, Threadkiller, didn't realize that the clear platter was superior.  My experience is limited to Benz and Clearaudio cartridges.  Is there a particular cartridge that the WTT "likes"?

threadkiller

« Reply #49 on: 1 Jan 2013, 08:03 pm »
Hi,
It was for most of my group. The black was too damped. A Transparent thing, not a Firebaugh. Yet you might like the black. 
Most anything that will mount will work on a WTL..

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 1 Jan 2013, 09:45 pm »
I stand corrected, I did not know that there was a Super.
I saw the flecks in the finish, clamp and the arm and went off of that.
Williamsims is starting 2013 off in grand fashion!

threadkiller

« Reply #51 on: 1 Jan 2013, 09:55 pm »
Yes, and for not much money. Nicely done.

williamsims

« Reply #52 on: 2 Jan 2013, 12:26 am »
You guys are great -- hope I can return the favor(s).

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #53 on: 2 Jan 2013, 12:41 am »
Thanks, Threadkiller, didn't realize that the clear platter was superior.  My experience is limited to Benz and Clearaudio cartridges.  Is there a particular cartridge that the WTT "likes"?

I prefer the black dampened platter over the clear acrylic one. Quieter, more dynamic when you have the arm set-up correctly. I've compared both platters and the black one has a clearer sound with better decay characteristics. I've heard & seen where the arm was way overdampened and the sound was dull...

The black platter is made from black acrylic, which is machined hollow at the bottom with a lathe to accept a 0.355" thick piece of IsoDamp CN and then back in the lathe for a final machining. IsoDamp CN was developed by the US Navy to control noise & resonance in ships / submarines. It has phenomenal damping properties.

I currently have a Clearaudio Maestro cartridge on my WT Reference. Absolutely love it! Great synergy between the two... A Benz may work great as well...

Good luck with your "Super"!

My $0.02,
Pete

threadkiller

« Reply #54 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:01 am »
So there you go, williamsims.  Two different tastes and takes.
As I always say, it's such a shame we can't listen together.
Do remember, the damped came from Transparent. The evil cable company.
Lol
I'll shut up now..  I did enjoy the tutorial, Pete.

code4246

« Reply #55 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:39 am »
haha

new year's confessional..

i preferred the original clear platter too, as well as original well tempered/classic over an amadeus.

:lol:

someone previously mentioned you couldn't swap clamps ?

you can by switching out the allen bolt that screws onto the spindle.

i bought a large reference clamp from those (not really) evil transparent people who also supplied a couple of spare bolts as the large clamps were designed for the later turntables that used a large flange spindle.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: 13 Jan 2013, 01:13 am »
I stand corrected - I don't know it didn't occur to me to swap out the length of the Allens. 
I'm going senile in my old age.

usp1

« Reply #57 on: 20 Jan 2013, 11:01 pm »
Threadkiller, there's now a WTT on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Well-Tempered-Turntable-/271126274718?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f2062a29e

The tonearm's a mess but the table looks nice.  If I were able to buy the table separately, what are the odds of (eventually) finding a (reasonably) pristine WT tonearm?  Thanks -- Bill

How much would it be to get this running with a new/reconditioned arm and cartridge?

williamsims

« Reply #58 on: 21 Jan 2013, 04:47 am »
Hi, USP1, I'll have to defer the question to more experienced members.  I briefly considered buying it, tossing the arm, and buying a NOS arm from Mike P, who I understand has a few, but a better -- to my mind -- deal came along.  Good luck and good listening. -- Bill

usp1

« Reply #59 on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:29 am »
Hi, USP1, I'll have to defer the question to more experienced members.  I briefly considered buying it, tossing the arm, and buying a NOS arm from Mike P, who I understand has a few, but a better -- to my mind -- deal came along.  Good luck and good listening. -- Bill

I saw your journey and realized that we were looking at the same table. The price is a bit lower now but don't want to spend a whole lot on fixing it.