what would you choose?

mick wolfe

Re: what would you choose?
« Reply #80 on: 18 May 2012, 03:54 pm »
Well yippee...

like I said, the WTA is practical-a set and forget table, no clamp, no cueing fuss.
And since it makes one want to really play more records, it's functioning on a much higher plain than most tables.

Yes, the Amadeus has me playing vinyl as a first choice. Hasn't happened in years until this table came along. Yes, "the clamp" issue......hopefully this is never mentioned again. If you really study the WTA and the dynamics of the "floating platter", you don't invite a clamp to the party.
Finally I'm sure a few of us here were holding our collective breath waiting for Vortrex's verdict. I for one, gave the guy more than one push toward the Amadeus.......with his money of course and my experience with VPI dating back to my HW 19 Mk.II. That said, looks like we might hopefully have a fairy tale ending

vortrex

« Reply #81 on: 18 May 2012, 04:13 pm »
what sort of distance is everyone using between the bottom of the ball and the cup?  I am probably around 1/8" or 3/16".

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #82 on: 18 May 2012, 04:14 pm »
MW wrote "Yes, "the clamp" issue......hopefully this is never mentioned again. If you really study the WTA and the dynamics of the "floating platter", you don't invite a clamp to the party."

Guess I will have to sell my WTC and purchase a WTA one day.

threadkiller

« Reply #83 on: 18 May 2012, 05:03 pm »
You still have a fine table. 
Yes, having had both the Classic and Reference, the Amadeus is truly wonderful.
What's still remarkable, and of great benefit to someone like yourself, is that you don't have to spend a fortune to upgrade.  Before the WTA, you'd switch, in your price range, for a different flavor. You'd have to spend loads to get better sound.
Now one no longer has to. 

To show you my knuckleheaded thinking, the only table I even aspire to is the 30k Shindo Garrard. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #84 on: 18 May 2012, 06:31 pm »
what sort of distance is everyone using between the bottom of the ball and the cup?  I am probably around 1/8" or 3/16".

If you never feel the ball bottoming out on the cup or edge of the cup when moving the arm, you've probably achieved a decent "cushion" thanks to the thickness of the supplied fluid. 1/8" is a good guess considering the fluid thickness.

vortrex

« Reply #85 on: 23 May 2012, 11:08 pm »
one poor design I noticed on the WTA last night is that the extra fine tonearm cable exits the underside of the arm directly above the metal rim of the ball cup.  why would they do this?  the wire seems awfully close to the rim, to the point of touching it when lifting the arm.  it would have been so easy to make it exit a little further back, there's so much space.  wonder why they did it this way?

mick wolfe

« Reply #86 on: 24 May 2012, 04:23 am »
one poor design I noticed on the WTA last night is that the extra fine tonearm cable exits the underside of the arm directly above the metal rim of the ball cup.  why would they do this?  the wire seems awfully close to the rim, to the point of touching it when lifting the arm.  it would have been so easy to make it exit a little further back, there's so much space.  wonder why they did it this way?

I just checked that out. The point where the tonearm wire leaves the arm tube seems to have a tiny protective plastic sleeve covering the actual tonearm wire. When I manually lift the tonearm from the rest to cue up a record, the closest it ( the plastic sleeve) comes to the edge of the ball cup is about 1/8". At rest, the distance between the cup's edge and the wire is about 3/8" on my table. That said, the edge of the cup and the point at which the wire leaves the tonearm are on the same vertical plane. Ideally would have been better if the wire left the tonearm about 1/4" further back, but maybe there's a reason for this location.

mick wolfe

« Reply #87 on: 24 May 2012, 04:33 am »

One further thought might be to lower the "ball cup" a bit to allow a more comfortable clearance....then add a touch more damping fluid to get back to where the ball is once again 1/3(plus or minus) submerged.

jazzmix

« Reply #88 on: 7 Jul 2013, 04:43 pm »
Thanks Vortrex for this thread. I am in the process of trying to decide between a VPI and WT and this thread helped a lot.

Plink

« Reply #89 on: 8 Jul 2013, 01:59 pm »

Probably because it doesn't matter.  My wire has never come close to touching the cup.  It is stiff enough that it stays suspended in air.  I would imagine that if the wire is touching the cup, simply move the wire and it will stay in it's place.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #90 on: 8 Jul 2013, 03:00 pm »
Probably because it doesn't matter.  My wire has never come close to touching the cup.  It is stiff enough that it stays suspended in air.  I would imagine that if the wire is touching the cup, simply move the wire and it will stay in it's place.

x1

threadkiller

« Reply #91 on: 8 Jul 2013, 03:03 pm »
X2

(Snap!)

geowak

« Reply #92 on: 8 Jul 2013, 04:32 pm »
You still have a fine table. 
Yes, having had both the Classic and Reference, the Amadeus is truly wonderful.
What's still remarkable, and of great benefit to someone like yourself, is that you don't have to spend a fortune to upgrade.  Before the WTA, you'd switch, in your price range, for a different flavor. You'd have to spend loads to get better sound.
Now one no longer has to. 

To show you my knuckleheaded thinking, the only table I even aspire to is the 30k Shindo Garrard.
Im a knucklehead too. The Shindo Garrard is the TT I want too. "If a were a rich man..."

threadkiller

« Reply #93 on: 8 Jul 2013, 04:44 pm »
Well, here's the story on that.
As great as the WTL is, in an all Shindo system it doesn't work.  It's all about the Shindo voicing.
A Shindo is a Shindo is a Shindo.
So, until you have the money to go all Shindo, stick with WTL.
And be very wary of these reviewers, and they're out there, that mix and match. Theyre deaf! 

vortrex

« Reply #94 on: 8 Jul 2013, 04:52 pm »
x1

I believe they came to their senses and moved the wire in the new design, was an obvious design flaw.

roscoeiii

« Reply #95 on: 8 Jul 2013, 04:53 pm »
Well, here's the story on that.
As great as the WTL is, in an all Shindo system it doesn't work.  It's all about the Shindo voicing.
A Shindo is a Shindo is a Shindo.
So, until you have the money to go all Shindo, stick with WTL.
And be very wary of these reviewers, and they're out there, that mix and match. Theyre deaf!

Pray tell, why wouldn't a WTA work in an all Shindo system? Having trouble getting my head around that. I can see speakers, carts and electronics. But have trouble seeing how a TT would affect things.

threadkiller

« Reply #96 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:00 pm »
As I said, voicing of the Shindo gear.  Step out of that voicing, and all that you spent your money on doesn't add up.
Go hear it . Then you'll know in an instant.

roscoeiii

« Reply #97 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:03 pm »
One of these days I will head into Pitch Perfect to hear Shindo. He is also a WTA dealer, IIRC.

Vortrex, I know you were near Pitch Perfect before they moved. Did you ever have a chance to compare a WTA and Shindo TT in a Shindo setup?

vortrex

« Reply #98 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:12 pm »
doesn't make any sense.  PP was recommending a Shindo phono/pre to mate with my Line Magnetic and said it works great.

when I demo'd the Line Magnetic gear at PP it was with a Shindo phono/pre and a Versalex.  I've never heard the Shindo TT.

threadkiller

« Reply #99 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:30 pm »
We're not talking cd here...only tables.