Small speaker recomendations

standman

• Industry Participant
    • www.standmanstands.com
Small speaker recomendations
« on: 8 Dec 2010, 11:27 pm »
I was wondering if anyone  could recommend  some small teacup type  speakers that are real good. For that matter a whole mini system would be good.  At one point I thought a 2a3 tube amp with a full range speaker would be great and may still be something I should consider. I am really open to any ideas.  I would really like the setup to be forgiving in that it could be used in such a way that it is not a center piece but can be hidden or at least integrated.  I may be looking for something that doesn't exist or asking for to much. Any help would be appreciated.  I have a few older NAD amps and integrated and some Kyocera receivers laying around.  My wife listens to a lot of instrumentals and softer music. This is something I would like her to be able to operate. I am kind of tired of the cheap under the counter system she has now and am sure she would appreciate something a bit better as well.  Thanks,  Jeff

low.pfile

Re: Small speaker recomendations
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2010, 11:39 pm »
by "teacup type speakers" do you mean satellites?

A couple of friends have KEFs something like this: http://www.kef.com/GB/surroundsound/satellite/hts3001se that sound pretty decent. fills the living room and kitchen with 4 ceiling mount speakeras (2 each room)

I found some used morel soundspots that I use as sourrounds for HT, that would more than suffice for background music.

I heard the orbs at a home show and they had them cranked so loud they sounded terrible. but lots of favorable reviews.  http://www.orbaudio.com/browseproducts/Index.html

standman

• Industry Participant
    • www.standmanstands.com
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2010, 11:48 pm »
I think as far as the speakers go I am looking for the smallest speaker with the biggest sound. I remember back in the mid 70s I was at a small audio shop here on the Plains and they were incredible. I have no idea what brand they were but would love to hear those again today.  I am totally at a loss how some manufactures are able to create such full range sound out of such small size.  It wouldn't take much to beat the sound of the Walmart special under the cabinet system we have now. How are some of the bose and similar systems?  It may be easier to go with a integrated system as such.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

standman

• Industry Participant
    • www.standmanstands.com
« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2010, 12:19 am »
Very nice indeed! Some more finish options would be nice however.  We may be talking integrating this with the kitchen refrigerator. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2010, 12:22 am »
I think as far as the speakers go I am looking for the smallest speaker with the biggest sound. I remember back in the mid 70s I was at a small audio shop here on the Plains and they were incredible. I have no idea what brand they were but would love to hear those again today.  I am totally at a loss how some manufactures are able to create such full range sound out of such small size.  It wouldn't take much to beat the sound of the Walmart special under the cabinet system we have now. How are some of the bose and similar systems?  It may be easier to go with a integrated system as such.

ADS L200s, maybe?

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2010, 12:35 am »

low.pfile

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2010, 12:38 am »
Ah, your "teacup" is as big as a breadbox.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:18 am »
Why is this topic under Trading Post > For Sale: Speakers & Speaker Stands ?

standman

• Industry Participant
    • www.standmanstands.com
« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:36 am »
Yes it is that speaker is the size of a breadbox for sure!  Not even a White breadbox!  It is a interesting breadbox though.  I wouldn't dismiss anything right now, It would be almost impossible to find a perfect combination. Thanks for the help up to this point. 

I guess I started this thread in the wrong department srb? I wasn't sure where it should go.  Feel free to put it or start a new one in the appropriate place.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:52 am »
I guess I started this thread in the wrong department srb? I wasn't sure where it should go.  Feel free to put it or start a new one in the appropriate place.

I'm not sure where it goes either, now that the General Audio circle seems to have gone missing.  I just figured it wasn't in the For Sale section.  The Starting Block?  Cheap and Cheerful HiFi?

What would be the music source, and would it be just a single source?    I was thinking of the very cool Audioengine A2 powered speakers.  They are only 6”(H) x 4”(W) x 5.25”(D) with 2.75" woofer and sweet sounding 20mm silk dome tweeter.  They have a front slotted port so they can be put against a wall or cabinet.  But it would depend on having a single source and the source having it's own volume control as the volume control is on the back of this diminutive speaker.

Steve

standman

• Industry Participant
    • www.standmanstands.com
« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:11 am »
That sounds very interesting SRB. I wonder if going seperates in the small components would offer better overall performance than some of the integrated type of which I can't even come up with an example?

rodge827

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:26 am »
I'm not sure if these are what you are looking for.....

http://joeyroth.com/ceramic-speakers/

I caught this ad on facebook today....looks a a nice little package...

Rodge

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:30 am »
That sounds very interesting SRB. I wonder if going seperates in the small components would offer better overall performance than some of the integrated type of which I can't even come up with an example?

Something like this?
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductLanding.aspx?CatId=a024bd86-e75a-4961-b8d4-14ff35f793d8

Occam

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:39 am »

Thunderbrick's ADS makes sense, its around that time period. Or if they were wood veneered construction [as opposed to the ADC black or white] (and driven by tubes probably) they could well have been LS3/5a BBC monitors, offered by Rogers, Sterling or Harbeth. These speakers  weren't full range by any means (nothing that small could be) but presented an excellent illusion of full range with a carefully tailored mid bass bump. They are great speakers presenting wonderful imaging and sound staging. In the 70s they were about $500, now the originals in decent condition sell for multiples of that, and newer reissues $2,500+. There are purported successors, like the Silverline mentioned above as well as the Harbeth HPL-3xx, etc.... but I'm not really familiar with these newer offerings.

srb

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:46 am »
Standman, what are your sources going to be?  Do you want built-in CD player and AM/FM tuner?  Do you want a dock for an iPod?

The Denon is a nice mini system.  Do you have a desired speaker size or restriction?  (The Denon's speakers are 9-1/8"H X 5-3/4"W X 9-1/4"D)

I'm still not clear on exactly what you're looking for.

Steve

standman

• Industry Participant
    • www.standmanstands.com
« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:47 am »
I need to brush up on some of the latest technology,  I'm kind of old school I guess. The Ceramic speakers found on facebook look like something worth exploring.  The ADS are also something that is very appealing. 

Cacophonix

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:49 am »
Get her an audioengine A2. Very small, but great sounding gear. Pair that with a used Squeezebox, and you can stream any number of online radio stations, and also any music you might have on your laptop/PC.

PhilNYC

« Reply #18 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:59 am »
Get her an audioengine A2. Very small, but great sounding gear. Pair that with a used Squeezebox, and you can stream any number of online radio stations, and also any music you might have on your laptop/PC.

I love the Audioengine A5, but an not so fond of the A2.  Imho, the A2 is best suited for PC gaming...A5 is much more for music...

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:12 am »
I'm not sure if these are what you are looking for.....

http://joeyroth.com/ceramic-speakers/

Rodge

These also got a nod in RollingStone.

I had the A5s. Nice. One negative was too much reverb for my tastes. Also, feel that it would be a better package if each speaker were amplified independantly, true right/left.