Tekton Owners??

yeldarb

Re: Tekton Owners??
« Reply #20 on: 7 Sep 2016, 04:29 pm »
I have a AVA 4i tube hybrid preamp and one of the last Sonographe SA250 amps.  I use a Pulse Infinity dac with an Onkyo CD for the drive, as well as an old Technics turntable which I modded a little by damping.  And most of the time I have a Denon DL110 in the arm.  I don't get any harshness from the Lore, but they did require some time to loosen up.

bummrush

« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2016, 04:55 pm »
I had a Sonographe amp yrs ago. It had a silver faceplate.  From what i found it was a very late model with upgrades, but i dont remember what they were, or even if there really were upgrades.  Super nice amp.
 What Onkyo cd are you using?,Very close to buying the 7030.

yeldarb

« Reply #22 on: 7 Sep 2016, 05:47 pm »
Supposedly, Conrad-Johnson had some chassis left and built the last Sonographe for a store in PA.  Because they didn't have a surplus of original parts, C-J used caps and resistors from their regular line.  At least that is the story.  I got the last one the store had and it was an open box.  Sounded great when I got it and sounds great today.  More power than any sane person would need, with the Lores.

My pre was sent back for upgrades twice and is at the limit for mods.  I keep it because I have a stash of 12ax7s.

The Onkyo I own is the 7030.  It has been reliable.  Using the internal dac, it sounds a bit warm, or pronounced in the lower registers.  But it is not too shabby, as is.  I used it first with an Ack! Dac II, and now with the LH Labs Pulse.  The Ack! is now in my second system with an old Toshiba DVD feeding a Norh SE9, to some Madisound BK16 horns with Dayton Titanic subs.  I really would hate to say which system sounds best.

marksas

« Reply #23 on: 7 Sep 2016, 05:58 pm »
I need to get back to using a CD player, I've been all digital (computer audio) for a while now and seems the longer time goes on the more products come out and the more complicated it gets.  Tough to beat having limitless music at one's finger tips though. 

I almost went the route of the BK16 horns a while back, i really wanted to try those out or something like those but at the time my space prohibited having any kind of floor standers, now the room is all changed around and i've got the Tektons.  I'm hoping the bass will get just a tad deeper as i'm not using the sub for music, something i wanted to try out and am getting used to since i've always employed a sub in my systems. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 7 Sep 2016, 10:40 pm »
Why do you "need" to get back using a CDP (CD player)?

It's more effective to go for a walk/run or do pushups if you need the exercise.   :icon_lol:

Not sure what CDP's (beyond the Oppo's) are still readily available and how the sound quality of a CDP can compare on a dollar for dollar basis to using your computer with a USB DAC.  I have an old CDP (Sony XA20ES) that I should sell along before it becomes a total dinosaur.

marksas

« Reply #25 on: 8 Sep 2016, 12:37 pm »
Why do you "need" to get back using a CDP (CD player)?

It's more effective to go for a walk/run or do pushups if you need the exercise.   :icon_lol:

Not sure what CDP's (beyond the Oppo's) are still readily available and how the sound quality of a CDP can compare on a dollar for dollar basis to using your computer with a USB DAC.  I have an old CDP (Sony XA20ES) that I should sell along before it becomes a total dinosaur.

Maybe 'need' was the wrong word...i guess i was speaking more to the simplicity of the connection between a CDP and the Amp or Processor.  With computer based audio there can be a dozen devices and cables by the time the music reaches the amp for output, endless possibilities and combinations of that gear and many different options on the software end and computer/server it derives from as well as tweaks within that computer...it can go on and on.  Granted the reward can be greater, as you said, and I agree with that, which is why i've invested in a product like the Sonore MicroRendu.
If a CDP is a dinosaur, what about a record player?