Tekton Owners??

marksas

Tekton Owners??
« on: 1 Sep 2016, 01:54 pm »
Hello, I thought i should post this here because for $750 / pr, I just bought a set of Tekton Design Lore Reference speakers and think that is definitely cheap and cheerful hifi!!  Seriously, these short but stout mid towers put out some serious sound.  They are very well balanced and have plentiful, tight and punchy low end.  Mine are actually still breaking in but I suspect they will only improve with age and more hours.  Also the high sensitivity (96db) lends itself to all sorts of gear like low powered tube amps but can also handle high powered solid state.  I'm excited to have these and just wanted to share and see also if there are any other Tekton Design owners here. 
http://www.tektondesign.com/r-loreoct.html

Here's my associated gear (for now)

Speakers:  Tekton Lore Reference L/R channels (will also be adding matching center for movies soon), Mirage OMD 5 for surround channels
                 Velodyne sub
Amplification:  (for 2 ch listening) Peachtree Audio Nova integrated w/ NOS 1968 Telefunken tube
                      (for 5.1) Yamaha RX-A850 AVR
Digital Front End:  - MacMini w/ Roon > cat6>Sonore MicroRendu>Wireworld USB>Peachtree Nova's internal DAC
                           - TIDAL HiFi streaming via Sonos system>and Chromecast Audio (both connected to the Peachtree) iPhone or Android tablet running BubbleUPnP
Cables:  Blue Jeans Cable mostly

Cheers!

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
Re: Tekton Owners??
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2016, 02:15 pm »
Hey Now,

I am a fan. I traded an amp for a pair of Tekton M-Lores last year with a fellow AC member and boy do I like them. I have them set up for offline Tidal listening. I live out in the country and use satellite internet which has fair use allowance limits, so not a lot of streaming until the end of the current period to gauge if I can stream music/movies. So I download Tidal content for offline listening to my Walkman ZX2 (256GB capacity) at work using company wifi   :dance:.

Sony Walkman ZX2 (offline Tidal content) > Regen > generic USB/SPDIF converter > BJC coax > Monarchy Audio M22C DAC (w/built in attenuator) > balance XLR to Crown XLS-1500 > Tekton M-Lore. This is set up in the living room next to the HT just for 2 channel listening. I am finding myself listening to this set up a lot. The sound is large, defined and articulate, with good bass. I wonder what a Pendragon would sound like  :o

--
Finest kind,
Chris

marksas

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2016, 02:30 pm »
Awesome.  I was looking at the M-Lores also, they actually would've fit in my living room better as space is a little tight and those are a few inches narrower than the Reference model, but in the end I said F*ck it! So i ended up with the Reference and so far so good.

I hear what you are saying about the 2ch setup, that was a big reason why i chose this particular Peachtree amp, it has the HT Bypass feature so I can run sources directly into it for 2ch listening and also use the AVR for 5.1, all with the same speakers and not swapping out cables etc. 

Before this setup, i was running everything through a new Marantz AVR and a 5 ch external amp and B&W speakers...no matter how much i tweaked things i just wasn't happy with the sound, so i sold everything!  (Actually i still have the B&K Reference 5 ch amp sitting unused)  Now with the Tekton / Peachtree combo i'm quite happy.  I just need to get the digital end sorted out as the MicroRendu is new to me. 

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2016, 03:56 pm »
Hey Now,

It took a while but I think I have my digital set up pretty near complete. It currently is the best I have heard it. 4K iMac (i5 quadcore) > Roon with Tidal and  HQPlayer integration using an Intel NUC w/Audiolinux OS as a music renderer with  NAA (HQP Network Audio Adapter) installed with USB output to a Green, then Amber Regen w/iFi iPower 9v into a Gustard X20U DAC. All PCM music files are upsampled to DSD256. Sounds very good to me, best digital I have heard in my system.

Next, I think I am going to run some fiber between my router and the NUC. Then, maybe a few more M. Schulz tweaks with the Gustard. I would love to get a MicroRendu, but the NUC, RAM, USB 3.0 thumb drive, and Audiolinux OS were less than half the MicroRendu price, real cheap and cheerful  :green:. Good luck with your digital set up.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

marksas

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2016, 06:07 pm »
I may have to pick your brain offline on the digital end...for now with my current setup i really can't hear much difference between the Sonos streaming Tidal and uRendu using Roon & Tidal.  I haven't tried HQPlayer yet, but i know a lot of people swear by it, i don't know enough about DSD yet and not sure if that would work with my older Peachtree Nova.

For now anyways, they all sound good coming through the Lores and i'm pretty happy to be an owner of these.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2016, 08:17 pm »
Welcome to our circle marksas.  If you'll read the guidelines for the circle you'll see that we have a $1,000 systems limit with a $400 limit for any one component.  However we've traditionally given wide latitude for any total system that comes in at a $1200 wiggle room limit.  In other words, we'd let you in with your $750 speakers if you get the rest of the system in at $450.  I'm thinking the Nova might give you problems unless it was bought used from a relative, but I'm listening.

marksas

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2016, 08:35 pm »
Sorry about that!!!   I figured the Tektons are such a great deal that they fall under the category of Cheap and Cheerful!  People certainly spend a hell of a lot more than $750 for speakers that's for sure. 

In any case, is there a proper circle then for general speaker discussion and associated gear? 

Thanks,

Mark

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2016, 09:04 pm »
Mark,

Check out the Enclosure Circle.

marksas

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2016, 09:14 pm »
Thanks JLM, I will.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2016, 10:08 pm »
I can move your post over there if it's okay with you.  Especially with new members we like to extend a friendly hand in this circle.  After all cheap and cheerful is supposed to be fun.  Your Tektons are a great bargain, I was looking at them myself and they would fit fine here with one of those cheap chip amps combined with an existing laptop and a DAC with volume control.  Its just your system as it stands doesn't hit C&C guidelines, not the end of the world.

bummrush

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2016, 10:17 pm »
Unless you're dead set on a center channel, and i guess in a ht setup,you might need a center channel depending on electronics.Just having left,,right might be enough.Might seem weird without a center channel, but i think basic left ,,right can be really sufectivent.
 Or else maybe im just messed up??

srb

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2016, 10:23 pm »
Might seem weird without a center channel, but i think basic left ,,right can be really sufectivent.

If two or three people are sitting dead center, left and right only may be "sufectivent", but if you have seating off to the sides the dialog isn't centered to the screen and can be distracting.

Steve

marksas

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2016, 10:31 pm »
I can move your post over there if it's okay with you.  Especially with new members we like to extend a friendly hand in this circle.  After all cheap and cheerful is supposed to be fun.  Your Tektons are a great bargain, I was looking at them myself and they would fit fine here with one of those cheap chip amps combined with an existing laptop and a DAC with volume control.  Its just your system as it stands doesn't hit C&C guidelines, not the end of the world.

Yes please feel free to move it.  Btw, I do have a cheap Lepai chip amp for my office setup, it's being fed from my MacBook and Dragonfly DAC, and powering a pair of small monitors that I built, they are the well documented "Speedsters" kit.  Totally cheap and sounds great, definitely fits the bill for this circle!!

marksas

« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2016, 10:32 pm »
Unless you're dead set on a center channel, and i guess in a ht setup,you might need a center channel depending on electronics.Just having left,,right might be enough.Might seem weird without a center channel, but i think basic left ,,right can be really sufectivent.

Eric from Tekton is building me a matching center channel right now

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2016, 10:17 am »

I've run 2.0 to 4.1 systems in my HT for years with no problems off center.  You don't need a center channel, just cross the speakers at 45 degrees, old HT trick.

roscoe65

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2016, 11:12 am »
I've run 2.0 to 4.1 systems in my HT for years with no problems off center.  You don't need a center channel, just cross the speakers at 45 degrees, old HT trick.

While you can live without a center channel, my experience has been that it is increasingly compromised.  Modern 5.1 soundtracks (for both television and movies) put a huge amount of information on the center channel, including most of the dialogue.  When deriving a phantom center channel, the L/R sound effects and music are blended into the same phantom center.  I've found that to hear dialogue clearly the music and effects is overpoweringly loud.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2016, 11:34 am »
In for opinions on Tekton speakers... intrigued with their designs but have not had a chance to hear any.

Maybe should have moved this to home theatre circle!

Dieter

Dmason

« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2016, 06:17 pm »
had a good listen to the Lores, I was extremely impressed. These had some sort of gold coated metal tweeter, an Audax or Hiquphon, not a fan, but man was that treble singing...

We tested UFO TOFU, and a live version of "South Side of the Sky," and they surely passed the Wooten, Squire, bass test for quality, and slam.

yeldarb

« Reply #18 on: 4 Sep 2016, 02:57 am »
I have owned the Tekton Lore for a couple years.  They replaced some Dynaudio based Madisound speakers (in closet).  The Dynaudio can image like mad, but needed subs and quite a bit of power.  But they just didn't have the "ease" that the Lore have.  I modified the Lore by adding some damping panels around the main driver, some felt on the inside of the driver legs, some felt on the back of the magnet, and a Mortite "filet" between magnet and speaker frame.  Imaging improved, probably because reflections from cabinet to the back of the cone are more controlled.  The Lore are dynamic, more like live music.  Bass is good, no subs necessary. 

Tekton's newest speakers look interesting and he has the Sigma seriously reduced in price, right now.

marksas

« Reply #19 on: 7 Sep 2016, 03:27 pm »
I have owned the Tekton Lore for a couple years.  They replaced some Dynaudio based Madisound speakers (in closet).  The Dynaudio can image like mad, but needed subs and quite a bit of power.  But they just didn't have the "ease" that the Lore have.  I modified the Lore by adding some damping panels around the main driver, some felt on the inside of the driver legs, some felt on the back of the magnet, and a Mortite "filet" between magnet and speaker frame.  Imaging improved, probably because reflections from cabinet to the back of the cone are more controlled.  The Lore are dynamic, more like live music.  Bass is good, no subs necessary. 

Tekton's newest speakers look interesting and he has the Sigma seriously reduced in price, right now.

Interesting mods...mine are still breaking in so i wouldn't touch them yet.  For now they get a little harsh with higher volumes, i imagine this is a combination of the speakers not being settled in yet along with the room itself.  What components are you using with your Lore's?