The SuperSubs I built a few years ago

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
The SuperSubs I built a few years ago
« on: 26 May 2012, 12:03 am »
I had had various SWs previously, and adding a pair of the big SVS cylinders made me want MORE...extention below 20Hz and within the bottom octave, as I LOVE movies and big-orchestra Classical music.  I already had six Sonic Craft SCC300 12" bass drivers, bought 2 more from a friend, and with advice from Sonic Craft's Jeffrey Glowacki, built a pair of SW boxes I could mount on the front wall.  Can't remember the exact internal volume required by a pair, but it was easy to build the boxes.  each is built of 3/4-inch MDF with the front wall and bottom (which forms a mounting lip for the front panel) double layer.  Wiring is twisted-quad AC-power cable, 4-times-14g. per pole = 8g. (times 2).

Each is clamped to the wall with two 1-by-4s that are long-lag-screwed to the 2-by-6 studs.

(Yes, that's an automotive floorjack.)

The guilty culprit.

Wired the 8-Ohm drivers in parallel, initially, as the Crown CDi2000 is rated at a KW per channel into 2-Ohm loads, but subsequently rewired them to 8 Ohms.  I use the digital frontend of the Crown for a low-pass filter--4th order at c. 40Hz, IIRC--and also some equalization.

Altho the drivers are not subwoofer drivers, they work VERY well in this system.  The bass goes down so far it's occasionally felt instead of heard, and it's tight and well defined.  Here they are peaking around and living in harmony with the Vandersteen 5As in a pic from months ago.

The V-steens do have powered woofers that are rated flat to 20Hz and sound EXCELLENT by themselves, but the SSWs add a little bottom-octave energy that makes movies more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2012, 08:17 pm by jeffreybehr »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: The SuperSubs I built a few years ago
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2012, 11:44 am »
You Sir, are a sick man.  :wink:
Your pictures over the years never fail to inspire me. I've love to shake your hand.
Nice room.  :thumb:

Bob

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2012, 05:23 pm »
You Sir, are a sick man.  :wink: 

Your pictures over the years never fail to inspire me. I've love to shake your hand.
Nice room.  :thumb:

Bob

TYVM; that's praise a dedicated audiofool LOVES to hear.

TY again; next time you plan to get to Phoenix, let me know.

And yes, indeed, it is.  Built it in 1982 and I still work on it.

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2012, 08:00 pm »
That's like a fantasy come to life! I have one that involves two floor to ceiling pillars flanking my system. Each pillar would be joined to the ceiling, as if to support it. Each one with four woofers, amps concealed inside with rear access. And here you've practically done it.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2012, 10:03 pm »
That's like a fantasy come to life! I have one that involves two floor to ceiling pillars flanking my system. Each pillar would be joined to the ceiling, as if to support it. Each one with four woofers, amps concealed inside with rear access. And here you've practically done it.

Fred, if you have eight-foot ceilings, you could get 6 12" drivers plus amps in your towers.  Let 'er rip!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2012, 10:28 pm »
Fred, if you have eight-foot ceilings, you could get 6 12" drivers plus amps in your towers.  Let 'er rip!
I support this message.  8)

studiotech

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2012, 04:54 am »
Nice project!  This photo looks kinda familiar.   :green:

medium jim

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2012, 05:00 am »
Why am I waiting for Tim Allen to drop in from Tool Time 8)

Jim

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2012, 05:31 am »
Nice project!  This photo looks kinda familiar.   :green:

Indeed.  You look a LOT happier than I did, tho.  But I'm THRILLED with mine.  It was the greatest return from a DIY project I've ever had.  Here's an old pic with the screen up.

« Last Edit: 28 May 2012, 06:23 pm by jeffreybehr »

studiotech

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2012, 06:03 am »
You sure do like to remove covers from amps!  Quite a selection of Marantz you've had there.  I have the gold Music Link series preamp and MA-500s, but always wanted the matching mono-blocks.  Now I'm running an MSB multi-channel preamp and the poor Marantz pre just lives on a closet shelf.

What is that center channel?  Looks like some planar or ribbon elements behind the grill.

Greg

studiotech

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2012, 06:04 am »
Why am I waiting for Tim Allen to drop in from Tool Time 8)

Jim

LOL!  I'd rather see the Tool Time girl though...

Greg

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2012, 06:51 pm »
You sure do like to remove covers from amps! Indeed.  Seems I'm often doing something inside them.
Quite a selection of Marantz you've had there. Yup; still have a quintet of '500s and pairs of '22s and '24s.  Just sold a pair of '24s.  The other pair of '24s is for sale thru A'goN.[/[/b][/size]font]
I have the gold Music Link series preamp and MA-500s, but always wanted the matching mono-blocks.  Now I'm running an MSB multichannel preamp and the poor Marantz pre just lives on a closet shelf.

What is that center channel?  Looks like some planar or ribbon elements behind the grill.  Eminent Technology LFT-12, the original version with all mag.-planar drivers and not the current hybrid.  Even with an open baffle reducing bass rolloff--see pic below--it sounded too thin and I moved to another CC.
Greg

The tops and bottoms of that baffle had been in this system, a horizontal MTM with 8 more 'bass' drivers.  Unfortunately, they weren't bass drivers; they were designed as MR drivers with limited excursion.  Made a nice RPTV stand.   :)

medium jim

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2012, 07:16 pm »
LOL!  I'd rather see the Tool Time girl though...

Greg

Me Too :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2012, 12:06 am »
Nice work Jeff  :thumb:

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2012, 12:20 am »
Nice work Jeff  :thumb:

TYVM, John.  BTW YOUR writings inspired me to build my big basstraps.
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/18/183751.html

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2012, 12:47 am »
TYVM, John.  BTW YOUR writings inspired me to build my big basstraps.
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/18/183751.html
That was a great thread Jeff.
Is that an 8350 I see?  :thumb:

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2012, 05:06 am »
Is that an 8350 I see?  :thumb:

Apparently not; what is an 8350?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2012, 04:23 pm »
Whoops. Sorry.
In your Asylum thread, the projector on the shelf looks like an Epson model #8350.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2012, 04:56 pm »
Whoops. Sorry.  In your Asylum thread, the projector on the shelf looks like an Epson model #8350.

Ah!  If the pic is of a covered basstrap, it's an UB8700, which, I just discovered, looks just like an 8350.

So 'yes, sort of'.   :)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2012, 05:19 pm »
Gotcha. Thank you Sir.