New SA-1 amp

Danny Richie

New SA-1 amp
« on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:20 pm »
The new SA-1 amp is a sub-woofer plate amp that was designed to be used to power subs in an open baffle or sealed box configuration.

This little amp will output 200 watts into 4 ohms and 110 watts into 8 ohms.

It is also very small and will fit on the back panel of even a narrow shaped speaker. It measures only 7.125" wide and 10.625" tall.

It has a removable IEC and will work with 110 to 120 volts or 220 to 240 volt power.

It also has high level and low level inputs.

The really unique thing about this amp is the output response. I had a circuit designed that would mirror image the roll off of a sealed box or open baffle design.

See my measured output:

The Red line is the measured output of the amp that I use with my Clio.

The Green line is with the crossover set all the way up. The Purple line is with the crossover setting about half way up. And then the Blue line is with the crossover turned all the way down.

As you can see, with this amp, you can get a -3db in the low 20's with the right open baffle woofers or sealed box woofers. It is also ideal for use with our SW-12B woofers: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=131

There is also a high pass filter built in to keep from over driving the sub with information below 20Hz.

Here is a factory made measurement:

The Red line is with the crossover turned all the way up and the Purple line is with it turned all the way down.

Amps are in stock and are $129 each.

These amps will also be the amps that come with the new V-2 loudspeaker kit seen here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71532.0

sl_1800

Re: New SA-1 amp
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2010, 12:51 pm »
Danny,

That amp looks fantastic and the price to performance ratio is the best I have seen in a very long time..........like ever.  :eyebrows:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2010, 11:51 pm »
This looks pretty cool. :)

I just spent five minutes window shopping at parts express after reading this.  How about a sealed Neo 2x with one of these sealed in the bottom?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-864

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2010, 02:18 am »
I just spent five minutes window shopping at parts express after reading this.  How about a sealed Neo 2x with one of these sealed in the bottom?

That will work fine, but that is a pretty small woofer. And with that high Fs and low Qts it isn't going to play very low even with this amp.

For not much more money you can side load one of these: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=131

Like this: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=118

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2010, 01:02 am »
Maybe actively drive a pair of those Anarchy drivers from the other thread?  Not that the SW-12B is bad in any way, but I'm just thinking on how to keep the speaker footprint as small as possible (because that 7x10-ish amp size just has me thinking about the idea of a real "sleeper" of a small floorstander in the bass department. :D).

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2010, 01:06 am »
If you side load the larger woofer then you still keep a really small foot print.

dvenardos

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2010, 02:50 am »
Are you going to offer the subs for the V2 or do you have limited supply and need to save those for the V2 kits? Same value proposition as the SW-12B versus SW-12.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2010, 03:30 am »
Are you going to offer the subs for the V2 or do you have limited supply and need to save those for the V2 kits? Same value proposition as the SW-12B versus SW-12.

Yeah, I guess I could. I'll price them at $75 a piece and if I sell out of them then I'll buy another pallet load.

dvenardos

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2010, 05:05 pm »
I don't know if everyone missed this, but Danny just said he is selling a dual OB sub with amp for $279 plus shipping.  :thumb:

Okay, I am going to clear out my queue and give one a try. Just happens to match the pennies that I have saved.  :green:

Yeah, I guess I could. I'll price them at $75 a piece and if I sell out of them then I'll buy another pallet load.

Meataxe

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2010, 08:36 pm »
So, any designs on an N-4? :thumb:

keenween

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2010, 03:47 am »
Any idea what sort of bass this amp could make with four (4) M165X drivers?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2010, 04:13 am »

That's a good question. I have not tried it.

dvenardos

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2010, 06:36 pm »
Hey Danny, what credit cards do you take? It isn't listed on the website and I don't recall offhand.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2010, 07:11 pm »
Everything except American Express.

dvenardos

« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2010, 08:02 pm »
One SA-1 amp and two eminence subs coming my way. Looks like I have a project for next weekend. :D

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2010, 02:00 am »

Now that's what I'm talking about!

clyde

« Reply #16 on: 19 Mar 2010, 03:33 am »
Danny,

Now that the V2 amps have come in, what is the availability of a V2 flat pack?

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2010, 03:42 am »
Now that the V2 amps have come in, what is the availability of a V2 flat pack?

I have everything in stock needed to ship out kits now. The only real hold up is me drawing out the cabinet plans in a professional manner so that someone besides me can follow it.

After I get that done then any number of these cabinet shops can get you a quote on a flat pack.

Viridian

« Reply #18 on: 23 Apr 2010, 07:54 pm »
Hey Danny, I've become more interested in these amps after you reco'd them in my OB thread a while back. What would the usable upper requency be for this amp? I seem to remember you recommending a 180Hz high pass FMod coming in above this amp in the V2. I have some vintage 12's that I would like to use to sort of emulate your V2 design and put the vintage 15"s that I have laying around in some Wbaffles.

Thanks,
Erik

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 24 Apr 2010, 04:29 pm »
What would the usable upper requency be for this amp?

200Hz no problem.

I seem to remember you recommending a 180Hz high pass FMod coming in above this amp in the V2.

On the V-2 the upper coaxial can play wide open. Just the natural roll off in open baffle will allow it to cross right in the 180Hz range. I used some F-mods that were rated as second order high pass filters (70Hz) just to increase power handling by removing those low frequency ranges.