Two way OB with no x-over.

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
Re: Two way OB with no x-over.
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jul 2023, 12:59 pm »
This seems  to me (as do most audio discussions) a bit like the old Miller Lite commercials. Tastes great! No, it’s less filling! There are many ways to skin the audio cat so I say to each his own.

For instance Decware’s OB which uses the Lii 15” full range in a simple baffle does not (as far as I know) use a crossover. Now I sure wouldn’t pay $5000 and wait forever for a pair but they seem to be selling them so who am I to say they are wrong?

This is a shame, just a reason to charge a hi price ticket for this assembled model. They have a 12'' FR brother from this 12'' woofer, but was used the different 10'' FR to profit more. :duh:

Crossoverless FR drivers are the max fidelity possible but they are not profitable to the manufacturers, the price is too low, F-15 for just $399 pair.

The speaker referenced above uses a 15” woofer not a 12” woofer. And at $4300 it may be considered high priced to some and not by others. Compared to the speaker I mentioned above I would say it’s a bargain.

Additionally Lii Song freely shares the development, construction drawings and serial crossover schematic for those that want to go the DIY route.

http://www.modelpromo.nl/audio-dandy/reviews/The%20Liiondias%20Open%20Baffle%20Speaker/The%20Liionidas%20Open%20Baffle%20speaker.pdf

I wish everyone good listening wether they use a crossover or not.

emtor

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jul 2023, 02:20 pm »
Taking a momentary sidetrack...
I'd never heard that aphorism before, yet I instantly understood what it meant! I Googled it and didn't find anything similar; did you invent the phrase, Emtor?

Yes, in fact I invented it myself, and the principle seems to exist everywhere: In daily life, religion, engineering and everywhere else.

emtor

« Reply #22 on: 1 Aug 2023, 04:46 am »
Here's another OB speaker with the drivers in parallel,-no X-over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkYv5PRbsjo&t=230s

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 1 Aug 2023, 05:08 am »
Glad its working well apparently, parallel increase SPL output in +3dB.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2023, 09:56 am »
I always thought powering two different drivers from the same amp sans crossover was a bad idea. But several examples of this on youtube using Lii Audio drivers gave me enough motivation to try it and I'm glad I did. On the left in this picture are F-15's and Lowthers wired in parallel driven by a Volt+D while the bass woofers are powered and low passed by a plate amp. In this case the two dissimilar drivers running full range blend very well and compliment each other.

I'm reminded of the fact that different instruments playing the same melody simultaneously are often a highlight of orchestral music.