Room treatment ideas for the M3TS

pg62

Room treatment ideas for the M3TS
« on: 2 May 2019, 01:58 am »
I am looking into acoustic treatments for my listening room and would like some advice.  I've read that using diffusers behind OB speakers is better than absorbers.  Absorption for the first reflection points and bass traps.  Let me know what works.

HanaEyes

Re: Room treatment ideas for the M3TS
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2019, 11:04 am »
I suggest you listen to the spatials first in your room before deciding whether you need room treatment. They don't work like conventional speakers. Almost no sound comes from the side of these speakers and for me, since I toed them in, really little sound actually reaches my first reflection points on the side wall.

After moving the spatials in, my front wall has been changed to a full panel of diffusers, and on the side, and on the back, not much of anything.

ric

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2019, 02:19 pm »
Hi, I own the M3 Turbo S', and thought originally that I would not need my DIY Shakti Hallowgraphs because of the open baffle type of speaker. The paradox is that the Spatials use "controlled directivity" AND are open baffle, and hopefully we are getting the best of both worlds.
     I find that I am using the Hallowgraphs all the time and toe them in or out depending on the recording. If you are wood-handy I can send you a link from AudioAsylum that shows measurements for the Hallowgraphs. Or, if you want to make a cheap version stores like Lowes sell "wiggle molding" that is made to fit the curves on wavy fiberglass patio awning panels and they are inexpensive. Email me if interested and I can explain further.
    I ended up putting my Hallowgraphs on lazy susan turntables for ease of toeing in/out. I would not want to be without them!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2019, 03:18 pm »
I suggest you listen to the spatials first in your room before deciding whether you need room treatment. They don't work like conventional speakers. Almost no sound comes from the side of these speakers and for me, since I toed them in, really little sound actually reaches my first reflection points on the side wall.

+1

Open baffle bass is far less problematic than boxed bass. Controlled directivity limits dispersion so that the sound waves cannot bounce off every surface before they reach you.

Shredder

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2019, 07:33 pm »
Why is it that front wall diffusion is particularly beneficial for OBs? Is it less of an issue if the speakers are well off the wall (say 5')?

I am wondering whether anyone has tried stealthier treatments like Synergistic research HFTs or Acoustic Dots? My wife is very tolerant of the massive speakers and stacks of metal boxes, but walls covered in acoustic treatments is not happening.

HanaEyes

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2019, 06:30 am »
Why is it that front wall diffusion is particularly beneficial for OBs? Is it less of an issue if the speakers are well off the wall (say 5')?

I am wondering whether anyone has tried stealthier treatments like Synergistic research HFTs or Acoustic Dots? My wife is very tolerant of the massive speakers and stacks of metal boxes, but walls covered in acoustic treatments is not happening.

I'm not too sure myself, as I adjust the treatment base on what I hear. I'm thinking maybe due to the dipole compression driver which also fires to the back, diffusion behind gives me a deeper depth than what I can normally achieve. My room is tiny too, 10' x 11'5".

I have 5 of the SR HFTs which had more of an effect when I had conventional speakers (different placement really affects differently). In the past, placing one HFT behind me really tightened bass, and having a couple on the sides walls widened my soundstage. With the Spatials, I can't really tell a diff no matter where I placed them. I just left 3 in front and 2 behind me.