A Big Thanks to "arthurs"--Today's Jam

cryoparts

Re: Stuff for Next Jam
« Reply #20 on: 30 Aug 2005, 12:09 am »
Quote from: cryoparts
What are you guys interested in keeping for the next jam?  

I have contacted Phil and Jason to see what they need back right away and what can stay.

Like I mentioned at the jam, I'll cover the shipping back on the stuff I have in my possession as my gift to the group.

Regards,

Lee

Okay, here's the deal.

Phil doesn't need the BC integrated back for about two weeks, so he asked if any of "Texas Jammers" would be interested in borrowing it until then.  If not, I am going to ship it back the end of the week.  The Focus are here until next jam for the speaker "comparo".  The Resolution Audio Opus 21 is open right now, so he mentioned that we could keep it for a source until next jam.  If a "jammer" wants to use any of the above until the jam--contact Phil and have him shoot me a PM to let me know it's okay.

The NuForce's will be tied up for at least two weeks by me so I can listen to them under familiar circumstances.  After that, if you are interested, contact Jason to see what he has in mind after I'm done evaluating them.

Best Regards to all!

Lee

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Aurthur's jam.
« Reply #21 on: 30 Aug 2005, 02:03 am »
Finally with a few free moments...

Here is some of my feedback from the get together.

First off, the people were great and socializing was great. I don't get out much you know.

Comparing gear is a blast for me even in the limited time we had.

I'll cover electronics first.

First off Gary Dodd brought in a pair of those bad ass 120 watt, tube mono-blocks that I have now heard many times. I love those amps. Hooked up and playing things still didn't sound right.

Switching to the tube output on the Cary CD player instead of the solid state output helped a bunch, but everything still seamed congested in the middle of the speakers with no real layering.

The problem seamed to be the Cary pre-amp. So we then dropped in one of Dodd Audio tube pre-amps and the system then came alive. This was a big difference for the better. I think Aurthur didn't let Gary Dodd out of there before ordering one of those pre-amps. His wife will get over it. :-)

Dropping in different gear was pretty cool and very revealing.

The big Cary, 500 watt, solid state amps didn't sound bad at all.

The Halcro all digital, five channel amp, sounded really nice as well. In fact I really liked it. It was a smooth sound with great balance. It was very non-fatiguing too. It didn't have the lushness of the tubes but it was nice. No harshness at all

I really think this is the future for all entree level and mid-fi level amps. They are simple and inexpensive to build, are very efficient, cool running, and sound good too.

The Halcro unit was a little pricey though. There is going to be some stiff competition out there for them soon. I'd be looking at ways to get the cost down on the consumer end pretty quick.

I heard the Blue Circle integrated briefly on several speakers and it sounded pretty nice from what I heard. I would have liked more time with it.

My real fun though is comparing speakers. As a loudspeaker designer I actually spend a lot of time comparing speakers and doing lots of listening.

We had some interesting speakers to compare and there was a few good notes (not music notes) that I left out of there with too. As a designer myself, I am very critical so bare with me as I give you my feedback from my perspective and what stood out to me.

Near the end of the day we drug in the little speakers one pair at a time and had a brief comparison using only a couple of tracks. We didn't spend the time needed to let each pair really grow on us nor did we have the time to. But it was pretty easy to spot lots of subtle differences and not so subtle differences within just a few tracks. Some were noted in a few seconds.

First up was the Focus Audio speakers. I had heard earlier versions of this speaker and a few buddies of mine cloned a pair of them and brought them over for me to measure and test. I remember making a few tweaks to get the drivers more in phase and balance them out for them. Later the same speaker was built using the Usher 9950 tweeter instead and it was the second pair of speakers up.

The Focus audio speakers seamed a little hot in the top end and they had a little bite to them. They boarded on fatiguing to me as well. I also noticed this in the other room that they were in. Imaging was great. Vocals were not bad. Beautiful finish!

By comparison the next speakers up, called the DMG, and using the Usher tweeter and Eton 5" woofer sounded much smoother and better balanced. Nice detail level. Great imaging as well. These speakers belonged to Mark Nash.

Both of these speakers were in very small boxes that will yield a -3db at a little lower than 70Hz.

Next up was a pair of Criterion's that Gary Dodd brought with him. This was an older design that we used to offer. It was inspired by the previous speakers. It used the same 5" Eton woofer but an Aurum Cantus G-2 ribbon tweeter. It was also in a slightly larger and lower tuned box that would hit a -3db down point at 55hz. As noticed my myself and others it had a fuller sound to it. The added bottom end filled it out and gave it a bigger sound. The ribbon added a slight amount of detail not present in the domes as well. Cleaner, and clearer upper end... Tough to beat those ribbons.

Next up was the Salk HT1. It used the same G-2 ribbon tweeter but used the Seas Excel, 7" Woofer. It sounded not unsurprisingly a lot like the Criterion, but it was noted that the larger Seas woofer (in a larger box and likely tuned lower) had a fuller sound to it. Lower vocals had a little bit more warmth to them or presence. Nice sounding speaker! Dennis did a nice job with the crossover design.

Next we set up the RA8 since it too used a similar ribbon tweeter built also by Aurum Cantus, but is a custom version built just of Raw Acoustics. This was a much larger speaker but is about the same price as the Salk HT1. What was really interesting was the added clarity in the top end. It had a sense of air and detail about it that exceeded the Salk HT1 and the Criterion. Capacitor quality would be a consideration as there are Sonicaps in the RA8, but there were also Sonicaps used in the Criterion. What I really feel was making the difference here was the fact that all the small speakers fell into the 85 to 86db range and the ribbon on the Salk HT1 and the Criterion were padded down about 10 to 12db to match the woofer level. The RA8 has 95db sensitivity and the ribbon only had a really small value, in line resistor used on it.

Could it really make that much difference? I suspected that it might could but was really surprised at just how much difference it made. It was not hard to tell at all.

As for the rest of the speaker, the RA8 was more of a full range speaker as well, compared to the stand mounted speakers. It had a top to bottom fullness to it that surpassed the others while still imaging like a mini-monitor. Even the vocal range was cleaner and exceeded the others. I am excited about this one. It has a huge performance level for this price range.

Someone also brought in a solid state pre-amp that we dropped in at the tail end of this session. It was built into a Legacy Audio chassis. I forget the name of the guy that brought it and the name of the gentleman that built it, but it was really nice sounding. This is the best sounding solid state pre-amp that I have heard in a long time. It was a close comparison in some ways to the Dodd pre-amp that we were using and I rarely hear anything that can hold its own against that pre-amp. The Dodd still had a more airy and more detailed top end to it but in many other areas it was really close. I wonder if it was using any DC coupling caps in the output and if so what they were?

Aurthur's Dunlavy's sounded good too. I always liked those speakers and John Dunlavy too. He was a really nice guy to visit with, and a brilliant man.

Thanks again to Aurthur and to his wife for letting us all come over.

PhilNYC

Re: Aurthur's jam.
« Reply #22 on: 30 Aug 2005, 02:55 pm »
Quote from: Danny
The Focus audio speakers seamed a little hot in the top end and they had a little bite to them. They boarded on fatiguing to me as well. I also noticed this in the other room that they were in. Imaging was great. Vocals were not bad. Beautiful finish!

By comparison the next speakers up, called the DMG, and using the Usher tweeter and Eton 5" woofer sounded much smoother and better balanced. Nice detail level. Great imaging as well. These speakers belonged to Mark Nash.

Both of these speakers were in very small boxes that will yield a -3db at a little lower than 70Hz. ...

This is actually very surprising to me (particularly the comment about only being flat to 70hz).  I've sold more than a handful of the FS688, and the most consistent comments about them from customers has been "the surprising bass performance" and "open and smooth top-end".  

Will be interesting to see how they do in the next Jam...

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
Focus speakers.
« Reply #23 on: 30 Aug 2005, 03:14 pm »
If you want you can send them back to me after the next jam and I'll run an impedance sweep on them to confirm the tuning frequency and shoot a response curve on them so you can see if the top end is a little hot or not. Then I will ship them back to you.

or you can have them sent to me from Dallas and I can measure them, send you the data, and bring them to the next jam.

Better yet, (maybe) I am supposed to go back to Dallas with my measuring gear (Clio system) to shoot responses of a buddies Dali Megalines.

I can try to coordinate that trip to coincide with the next jam and measure the Focus speakers while I am down there.

PhilNYC

« Reply #24 on: 30 Aug 2005, 03:33 pm »
Danny,

Thanks for the offer, but that's not necessary; you heard what you heard, and no measurements will change that.

FWIW, the FS688's were measured by Soundstage a couple of years ago here:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/focusaudio_fs688.htm

Am curious about the DMG's you mentioned, as I had not heard of them before.  Who makes them?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 30 Aug 2005, 04:25 pm »
Thanks for the offer, but that's not necessary; you heard what you heard, and no measurements will change that.

The measurements won't change it but they can explain it sometimes.

FWIW, the FS688's were measured by Soundstage a couple of years ago here:

I did not know that. Looks like by their measurements there is about a 5db rise from about 10kHz to 15kHz. That might explain some bite or hotness in the top end. I was thinking it was a little lower down in range though.

Am curious about the DMG's you mentioned, as I had not heard of them before. Who makes them?

Here is the story behind those. The whole story.

I guy down in the Dallas area bought some Focus Audio FS68. See their discontinued listing of them here: http://www.focusaudio.com/index1.htm

A handful of others heard them at the guys house and really liked them. They then borrowed them, took them home, carefully pulled out the woofer and drew out the entire network.

They then built a pair of them using the same Eton woofers and Scan Speak 9500 tweeter (ordered from Solen).

Instead of using the cheap Bennic components used in the Focus unit, they ordered higher quality components from me.

They built them out and brought them up one day and we took some measurements of them. This was how they measured.

I then re-designed the tweeter network using a third order on them, instead of the second order that they had, to smooth out the response and to get the drivers to be more in phase with each other.

They then looked like this:

The woofer network was left unchanged.

See pic of the finished speakers:

The box size and tuning made them -3db down at 70Hz.

These belong to Roy.

Later, Mark wanted a pair. So he and Gary built another set, but upon my recommendation they used the Usher 9950 tweeter instead.

They brought them up and I designed a network for them. They were just as good as the Scan Speak tweeter version and it was less expensive. I believe that even with the Foil inductors, Sonicaps, and Mills resistors the total parts cost was less than $450. for the pair.

They then named them the DMG's, because of the three guys that had a hand in building them. We have called them that ever since. Another pair has never been built. This was the pair that was there Saturday.

PhilNYC

« Reply #26 on: 30 Aug 2005, 06:07 pm »

The measurements won't change it but they can explain it sometimes.

What they can't explain is room conditions and personal listening perceptions and tastes.

They then built a pair of them using the same Eton woofers and Scan Speak 9500 tweeter (ordered from Solen).  

Even in the old FS-68, the woofer was a proprietary design by Focus, manufactured by Eton, so it's unlikely that they used the same driver.

Anyways, sounds like an interesting project.  Certainly would be curious to hear them; in my personal experience, the FS688 is a major step up from even the FS-68SE (the 10th anniversary edition of the original FS-68, with upgraded woofer and internal design/materials)...

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 30 Aug 2005, 06:33 pm »
What they can't explain is room conditions and personal listening perceptions and tastes.

Room conditions were the same for all speakers listened to.

Even in the old FS-68, the woofer was a proprietary design by Focus, manufactured by Eton, so it's unlikely that they used the same driver.

Yep, the standard driver at the time was the 5-880/25Hex. They used the 5-880/25Hex-b. Eton later sold the same units to Solen and 250 units of them to GR Research (me) and CSS for the Criterion and Diluceo kits that we offered.

We had the same units.  :mrgreen:

Focus then switched to the version with the "heat pipe". This is their version of a phase plug. I considered using those as well. The parameters were the same but it vented through the front instead of through the pole piece.

I passed on the heat pipe version. I just couldn't get past the look.

the FS688 is a major step up from even the FS-68SE (the 10th anniversary edition of the original FS-68, with upgraded woofer and internal design/materials)...

I hope they upgraded the quality of the components used. There was a lot of improvement that could be made there.

PhilNYC

« Reply #28 on: 30 Aug 2005, 06:43 pm »
Room conditions were the same for all speakers listened to.

Obviously yes, this is true (although it says nothing about how those speakers might sound in another room).  I'm not trying to tell you what you heard.  Just said that I was surprised at what you've described, because although I've heard critiques about the FS688 before, yours was the first time I heard those specific critiques of them.

I hope they upgraded the quality of the components used. There was a lot of improvement that could be made there.

Yep, wiring and crossover materials have all been significantly upgraded, and the SE models now use the same woofers as in the 688 and 788 designs...the SE models are a tremendous achievement by Focus, and they are even less expensive than the original FS-68.

I am looking forward to the next Jam!

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 30 Aug 2005, 06:47 pm »
and they are even less expensive than the original FS-68.

Hmmm, and they even used a more expensive tweeter.

How much are the newer ones?

PhilNYC

« Reply #30 on: 30 Aug 2005, 06:59 pm »
and they are even less expensive than the original FS-68.

Hmmm, and they even used a more expensive tweeter.

How much are the newer ones?

Actually the new FS-68SE uses the same tweeter as the original FS-68.  It retails for $2050 (the original retailed for $2150).  Given the dropping value of the dollar and the fact that the woofer and internal parts/materials are all upgraded from the original, it is amazing to me that they were able to get the price down.  Perhaps a sign of their success where they are able to buy parts in larger quantities and get better deals on the cabinet manufacturing...

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #31 on: 30 Aug 2005, 07:02 pm »
phil, how much are the 688"s ?

marvin

PhilNYC

« Reply #32 on: 30 Aug 2005, 07:05 pm »
Quote from: marvda1
phil, how much are the 688"s ?

marvin

The 688's retail for $3190.  The review from 2003 I posted lists them at $2600, but unfortunately the dropping value of the US dollar has pushed their price up since then...

PhilNYC

« Reply #33 on: 30 Aug 2005, 07:08 pm »
Hey Jammers...I didn't mean to turn this into a Focus Audio discussion!  Would love to hear more from the attendees...didn't someone say that 20 people showed up?  Let's hear more about the Jam!

(like...uh...how did that Blue Circle integrated sound?  :mrgreen: )

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 30 Aug 2005, 07:18 pm »
Oh, I get it now. When I first said, "and they even used a more expensive tweeter." I was talking about the FS-688. They stepped it up to the 9900 tweeter from the 9500. That was an increase in retail cost of about $60. a tweeter.

Yet, the 688's are about a thousand dollars a pair higher than the original 68's. Hmmmm.

PhilNYC

« Reply #35 on: 30 Aug 2005, 08:04 pm »
Danny, clearly they did not just slap in a new tweeter and jack the price up a thousand dollars.  I hope you are not insinuating that they did.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #36 on: 30 Aug 2005, 08:13 pm »
What else did they do?

PhilNYC

« Reply #37 on: 30 Aug 2005, 08:20 pm »
You know, I'm not going to get into this...first and foremost, because I am not a speaker designer, and more specifically, I'm not the speaker designer from Focus Audio.  It's far to easy to go down the slippery slope of "it only costs $X, why did they charge $Y" and the whole circus of "this is a better way" etc...all of which simply does a disservice to Focus Audio.  For me, the bottom line is that I love their speakers and feel they provide great performance at their respective pricepoints; if they didn't, I wouldn't represent them.  As always, it all comes down to listening;  Danny didn't like them, and that's fine (I never said otherwise)...

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 30 Aug 2005, 08:22 pm »
Danny, clearly they did not just slap in a new tweeter and jack the price up a thousand dollars. I hope you are not insinuating that they did.

I am insinuating that they must have done something else, because the tweeter swap alone didn't cause that much of a price increase.

kyyuan

« Reply #39 on: 30 Aug 2005, 08:36 pm »
Back to the topic at hand...

PhilNYC ---

again, thanks much for sending the gear for our Jam.  I especially enjoyed the BC and the Opus 21 as it was my first time seeing/listening to both pieces.  I had heard a lot of positive feedback regarding Gilbert's products, but never had a chance to hear it until the Jam.  Cosmetically, it was attrative, as well (IMO).

In regard to the Jam itself, as Brian mentioned, the close proximity of the 2 rooms wasn't conducive to critical listenings.  Nonetheless, as ARTHURS said, the social aspect of the Jam was probably more fun than the listening.  At any one time, you can find people in the two listening rooms and the dining room munching on the abundant food/snacks provided by Art.

One thing is for sure, at least to me, music is such a subjective hobby in that the Jammers had a lot and varied opinions on topics from music to sound preference.  This hobby of ours is certainly fun (and expensive sometimes).

Ken