41hz Tripath amp by BOLDER Cable

Wayne1

« on: 30 Apr 2005, 10:53 pm »

Here ia a rather poor picture of the prototype amp based on the 41 hz AMP 3 board.

The board did take me a bit longer to put together and get working. I JUST fired it up.

The amp uses very short runs for input and output. Less than 3" of wire for each connection. This amp, I built using the same Cryo-treated silver I use in the SUMMIT cables.

I used Sonicaps for input coupling in place of the stock electrolytic or SMT caps supplied with the kit. The torodial inductors were wound with cryo-treated, solid core, 99.9999% pure copper.

I added a capacitor bank between the SLA battery and the board. The bank is made up of 4) 4700 uF caps to maintain low ESR.

Input connectors are WBT NextGen. Ouptut connectors are Eichmann CablePods.

I do have a Tripath 2024 amp built with Sonicaps I can compare it to. It will take some time for the new amp to break-in.

First impressions are that the 41hz board, at least the way I built it, has a richer lower midrange and deeper, tighter bass than the eval board. Highs are smooth and extended.

I will post more as the amp break-in progresses.

tianguis

41hz
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2005, 03:07 pm »
Wayne:
       Neat! I think the cap bank is a good idea. I do the same with my modded SI. Big improvement in dynamics and speed.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

CornellAlum

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2005, 01:35 am »
That looks awesome Wayne!  How's it sound so far?

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2005, 02:07 am »
My thoughts about the amp are posted here

I have shipped it off to Ed Schilling of The Horn Shoppe for his get together this weekend.

Hopefully, some of the attendees will post their impressions of the amp compared to the SI, Tripath eval boards and whatever other amps show up at Ed's place.

ohenry

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2005, 08:28 pm »
Wayne's amp 3 sounded very good indeed at Ed's over the weekend.  It immediately struck me as having more midrange and low frequency weight and seemed smoother in the high frequencies that my modded 2024 evaluation board..  Also, being a tripath, it exhibited great speed and resolution.

I didn't get to spend much time with the amp, so that's why my remarks are pretty brief and general.  However, my first impression was very positive.  :)

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2005, 09:50 pm »
Thanks for the comments, Henry.

Whenever Ed sobers up from the weekend the amp will be shipped off to dmason for his thoughts.

ohenry

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2005, 10:08 pm »
I hate that I didn't get more time to listen, but I was there during the most active time of the weekend and toys were being shuffled to give everyone a chance to shine.  

Dmason is the perfect person from which to get a great perspective and comprehensive review.

BTW, Ed was way too reserve when I saw him Saturday afternoon, it worried me.  :lol:

Ed Schilling

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2005, 10:36 pm »
Yep, It's good! So good that I did not bother to hook up my 2024 board for comparison. MUCH better than my amp..........I knew right away.  Good job Wayne!
Ed
Now.....Dmason............get some Fostex in those Horns! Call me for details on the "upgrade".

holyghostfire21

Where can I buy a similar chassis?
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2005, 12:40 am »
Could someone tell me where to buy that the chassis that Wayne used for the Amp3 kit. Thanks a bunch, Kevin.

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2005, 01:01 am »

holyghostfire21

« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2005, 03:22 am »
Thanks for the quick reply. I have some other questions. I am assuming you bolt down the Amp3 pcb board to the chassis, but how did you secure the battery with the strap? Did you also bolt the strap down to the chassis? What type of strap did you use? Thanks for your time, Kevin.