SP3 USB for multichannel PCM

gbaby

Re: SP3 USB for multichannel PCM
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2018, 02:40 am »
Very nice, thanks for being able to confirm this for everyone.

I owe you an apology. I am so sorry for my almost arrogant assertion. I am so glad I was wrong as I can not import all my DTS surround discs although few.

gbaby

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2018, 02:44 am »
hmm, that is a good question. Not being familiar with the SP3, on my Lexicon MC-12 I have meters for all channels so I can easily and visually check signal on all channels. Does the SP3 have anything like that? If not I suppose he could make sure there is no matrix processing enabled and then simply turn off the main left and right channels, either in the SP3 or simply the amps and if any sound is coming out of his center and surrounds that will confirm the full 5.1 signal remains intact as it passes from the BDP-2.

The SP3 shows what signal is coming in and what signal is coming out. The display window shows DTS 5.1 in and it shows 7.1 out as I have a 7.1 system. I am certain the back rears are matrixes. Regardless, you can hear the 5.1 separation.

gbaby

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2018, 03:04 am »

The SP3 shows what signal is coming in and what signal is coming out. The display window shows DTS 5.1 in and it shows 7.1 out as I have a 7.1 system. I am certain the back rears are matrixes. Regardless, you can hear the 5.1 separation. And, my playback source is the Bryston BDP2 digital player using it AES output to the Bryson SP3 output.

gbaby

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2018, 03:06 am »

BigGeek

« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2018, 10:45 pm »
The SP3 shows what signal is coming in and what signal is coming out. The display window shows DTS 5.1 in and it shows 7.1 out as I have a 7.1 system. I am certain the back rears are matrixes. Regardless, you can hear the 5.1 separation. And, my playback source is the Bryston BDP2 digital player using it AES output to the Bryson SP3 output.
I thought as much. DTS-CDs  and the ripped files have two channels of information on them. The multichannel info is encoded into those two channels. When played back you are streaming pcm (I think) across the AES connection to the SP3. The SP3 can take that pcm stream and decode it to discrete multi-channel (lossy) DTS and play it back. Still sounds pretty darn good to my ears. I have quite a few of those.

If you have any issues with the beginnings of songs being clipped off when playing the songs through the SP3, you might try the latest firmware. Stan fixed a glitch with DTS going over SPDIF in that one.

I would love to know if the BDP-2 can create a multi-channel stream through the usb output from full resolution multi-channel files. Chris?

Rod_S

« Reply #25 on: 24 Apr 2018, 01:34 am »
I owe you an apology. I am so sorry for my almost arrogant assertion. I am so glad I was wrong as I can not import all my DTS surround discs although few.

No worries, I took no offense :)

Rod_S

« Reply #26 on: 24 Apr 2018, 01:40 am »
The SP3 shows what signal is coming in and what signal is coming out. The display window shows DTS 5.1 in and it shows 7.1 out as I have a 7.1 system. I am certain the back rears are matrixes. Regardless, you can hear the 5.1 separation.

Cool, thanks

Yeah the surround backs in your case would either be derived via matrix processing i.e. dts:Neo 6, Dolby PLIIx (but that should be obvious I would think as there should be some sort of visual indication it's happening in the display) or it's also possible the SP3 is simply copying the surrounds to the back. My Lexicon for example allows for both, matrix (Dolby PLIIx, dts:Neo6, THX Ultra II and Logic 7) and simple copy from sides to rears.

Rod_S

« Reply #27 on: 24 Apr 2018, 08:02 pm »
I imported three DTS-CDs to aiff files using iTunes. They were DTS 5.! and were two disc by the Ohio Players and one by Herb Alpert. They both play back 5.1 DTS on the Bryston SP3 and I can hear the 5.1 separation.  I am using AES input to the SP3. This is amazing.

So with these being true dts CD's I assume it's legacy lossy dts correct? Have you tried ripping any high res multi-channel DVD-A's (MLP) or Blu-ray audio (dts-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, PCM) discs to see if they also pass through the BDP-2 and into the SP3?

gbaby

« Reply #28 on: 25 Apr 2018, 02:09 pm »
So with these being true dts CD's I assume it's legacy lossy dts correct? Have you tried ripping any high res multi-channel DVD-A's (MLP) or Blu-ray audio (dts-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, PCM) discs to see if they also pass through the BDP-2 and into the SP3?

I have no ability to rip or import DVD-A, Blu-ray or SACD. I used iTunes to import the DTS-CDs, and I was experimenting, but it worked on DTS-CD. I wish I owned more of them. And, yes, I am getting discrete DTS 5.1 from the Bryston SP3 processor as it shows 5.1, and you can hear it. If it was matrix, then the processor would read 2.0 going it and 7.1 going out.

BigGeek

« Reply #29 on: 25 Apr 2018, 10:05 pm »
Prettu sure I mentioned this above but let me try again. I have ripped from several DVD-A and blu-ray discs. Got mlp multichannel and wav multichannel. They only play back the front channels through AES or other SPDIF paths from the BDP’s. I have to use DTS software to encode them into DTS-CD files to get multi-channel lossy playback throgh SPDIF. And gbaby is right. It is defintely discrete 5.1 and not some matrixed rubbish.

It’s the USB that is interesting here. It has the bandwidth to play back multichannel at full resolution. Trying to get someone from Bryston to answer if the BDP2 will do it. I guess they arent interested in this topic. Weird since they fixed up the USB Oon the SP3 to handle it.

Rod_S

« Reply #30 on: 25 Apr 2018, 10:51 pm »
I misunderstood your earlier comments then, I didn't realize you have ripped MLP and wav available.

Just so I understand correctly, your receiver, SSP, etc. does not have a USB input that's why you can't test, is that correct? You don't have a SP3? And gbaby doesn't have any high res multi-channel files, otherwise he would be able to connect via USB and confirm? Is there anyway you can get gbaby one of your files so he can test?

BigGeek

« Reply #31 on: 26 Apr 2018, 10:57 pm »
I misunderstood your earlier comments then, I didn't realize you have ripped MLP and wav available.

Just so I understand correctly, your receiver, SSP, etc. does not have a USB input that's why you can't test, is that correct? You don't have a SP3? And gbaby doesn't have any high res multi-channel files, otherwise he would be able to connect via USB and confirm? Is there anyway you can get gbaby one of your files so he can test?
I do have an SP3. I have not upgraded the USB to include the new cool stuff. I tried to use the SP3 USB that I have, and got no signal to come through from my BDP2. Not sure if that is normal for an non-upgraded USB or not.

I am trying to get an answer from Bryston about the BDP’s outputting high res multi-channel over USB to determine if I should get the SP3 upgrade or not.
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2018, 02:23 pm by BigGeek »

gbaby

« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2018, 11:39 pm »
Since I have discovered the BDP2 digital player will playback DTS-CD 5.1 I have gone on a buying bing to obtain all available. So far I have purchased Boys 2 Men II, The Police Greatest Hits, The Marvin Gaye Collection, Herb Alpert, The Ohio Players Honey and Fire as will as the Allman Brothers Live. 8) By the way, I can get 5.1 using the USB input on the SP3 in that the DTS-CD is a PCM file encoded at 44.1/16 x 5.1 channels. 8)
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2018, 01:32 am by gbaby »

gbaby

« Reply #33 on: 30 Apr 2018, 01:40 am »
I do have an SP3. I have not upgraded the USB to include the new cool stuff. I tried to use the SP3 USB that I have, and got no signal to come through from my BDP2. Not sure if that is normal for an non-upgraded USB or not.

I am trying to get an answer from Bryston about the BDP’s outputting high res multi-channel over USB to determine if I should get the SP3 upgrade or not.

In order to use USB from the BDP2 through the USB on the SP3, make sure you check USB for the MPD and reboot. It will work.