VMPS v. Merlin VSM-M

blueshirt

VMPS v. Merlin VSM-M
« on: 27 Jun 2003, 05:15 am »
Hi,

I currently have a pair of MErlin VSM-M's I was using for 2 channel and HT. I loved then for 2 channel but wanted a bit more for HT. I bought M&K 150's but surprisingly, the Merlins were still much better.

I have heard that VMPS RM-40's can do both very, very well. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with both Merlins's and the RM-40's and can give their opinion.

Thanks

jonbee

VMPS v. Merlin VSM-M
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2003, 04:54 pm »
I've owned VSMs (GenIII RCs) and now have upgraded 626s, and am familiar with the sound of other models. My 626s were a real step up from the VSMs; they are faster, more open and more dynamic. The RM40 is much more of a step up, with wider bandwidth, a much larger image, and lower distortion. Order yours with at least the Auricaps and the new FS tweeter, and you won't regret it, on music or HT. Have fun!

lifewithmusic

VMPS v. Merlin VSM-M
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2003, 01:14 am »
I've heard the Merlin's with BAM a number of times driven by $20K+ of Joule electra tubes.  They are an astounding speaker.  Their fit and finish exceeds that of VMPS.  But their sound cannot equal the VMPS RM-40 even without any cap or other upgrades.  There's just no contest.  Check out the Bound for Sound review of the RM-40.  Martin's several review of the Merlin are also very favorable, but you'll recognize that he'd agree with my conclusion.  Sell the Merlin and buy the VMPS for your whole home theater system with upgraded cabinets soon (hopefully) to be available from VMPS manufactured in China.

Brian -- are upgraded cabinets really going to be a reality?  A stylish state of the art box to cosmetically match the unequaled sonics . . .

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm40
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2003, 01:59 am »
As soon as Mark regains consciousness he'll let us know about cabinets.

blueshirt

VMPS v. Merlin VSM-M
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2003, 02:08 am »
This sounds promising. I know it might be a bit superficial, but the looks of a speaker is important. The Merlin's in wine berry are simply amazing. But sound always wins. So I will go forward to see if I can do a demo of VMPS in the NY area. Thanks.

Kishore

VMPS v. Merlin VSM-M
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2003, 06:35 am »
I have heard with VSM-M with BAM(?).. model driven by all Joule Gear and it was wonderful. They are good speakers but not as 'bigger', dynamic', 'detailed' 'silky smooth' as the VMPS RM40.

The RM40 however needs a damn good Amp with high current (lower powered tube amps are no-no) and more time to fine-tune-..
but once you are set-up-that's it..you might become a couch potato!

The RM40 with FST (upgraded tweeter) + TRT caps is highly recommended in $6K+ range ;)

Cheers,
Kishore

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
VMPS v. Merlin VSM-M
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2003, 04:15 am »
Quote from: lifewithmusic
I've heard the Merlin's with BAM a number of times driven by $20K+ of Joule electra tubes.  They are an astounding speaker.  Their fit and finish exceeds that of VMPS.  But their sound cannot equal the VMPS RM-40 even without any cap or other upgrades.  There's just no contest.  Check out the Bound for Sound review of the RM-40.  Martin's several review of the Merlin are also very favorable, but you'll recognize that he'd agree with my conclusion.  Sell the Merlin and buy the VMPS for your whole home theate ...

Please, do NOT hold your breath waiting for new cabinets.  Maybe, MAYBE this time next year.