A Powered RM-40

Housteau

A Powered RM-40
« on: 23 Sep 2006, 09:38 pm »
This amp looks really nice for the subwoofers.  I had a question or two on how it would work installed to an RM-40 OXO Supermax, since it only has an active low pass x-over as part of the unit.  We could also give it a Piano Rosewood finish just for fun.  See, I'm keeping up :)

If I understand the OXO correctly the speaker itself is wired as it would be for a direct drive option.  The customers amp would then connect to the OXO and the OXO to the speaker.  But, in this case wouldn't the customers amp(s) still be required to operate at full range since it would be connecting to a passive high pass crossover?

I ask this because for me the benefit of bi-amping to me is the ability to have SS on the bottom and a small load for tubes on the top.  But, with the above configuration without an active high pass x-over, unless I am missing something the mid/tweeter amp would need the balls to run the entire frequency range just have the lows rolled off at the OXO?

Is the OXO a good match for a powered version of the RM-40, or is the better option to have an active high pass x-over instead? 

Dave

John Casler

Re: A Powered RM-40
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2006, 09:50 pm »
This amp looks really nice for the subwoofers.  I had a question or two on how it would work installed to an RM-40 OXO Supermax, since it only has an active low pass x-over as part of the unit.  We could also give it a Piano Rosewood finish just for fun.  See, I'm keeping up :)

If I understand the OXO correctly the speaker itself is wired as it would be for a direct drive option.  The customers amp would then connect to the OXO and the OXO to the speaker.  But, in this case wouldn't the customers amp(s) still be required to operate at full range since it would be connecting to a passive high pass crossover?

I ask this because for me the benefit of bi-amping to me is the ability to have SS on the bottom and a small load for tubes on the top.  But, with the above configuration without an active high pass x-over, unless I am missing something the mid/tweeter amp would need the balls to run the entire frequency range just have the lows rolled off at the OXO?

Is the OXO a good match for a powered version of the RM-40, or is the better option to have an active high pass x-over instead? 

Dave

On the standard DIRECT DRIVE RMspeaker there are 3 pair of Binding posts.  One for the Tweeter, one fo the Neopanels, and one for the "BASS SYSTEM"

On the PBS (Powered Bass System) RM40 there are only 2 pair of Binding posts, one for the Tweeter and one for the Neo's.

You could then have the "passive" OXO with 2 inputs and 2 outputs to drive the Tweeter and Neos.

If you selected to drive tweets and mids with a single amp, you would "jumper" the "input" binding posts, and the OXO would take care of filtering to the dual outputs that connect to the speaker.

The woofers then would have an RCA interconnect (full range direct from preamp) that would be filtered by the PBS system as Brian configures it.

The PBS also has its own "blending" gain control, help you get it just right.  Then the unity gain of the pre will take care of gross adjustments.

Housteau

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2006, 10:13 pm »
Thanks John.  Your description is exactly how I thought the system would be connected. 

So, according to that the amp(s) running the mids and tweets would still be running full range since the source signal is not being split high/low before that amp?  That amp would still be amplifying bass to have it rolled off at the OXO?

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2006, 11:29 pm »
Thanks John.  Your description is exactly how I thought the system would be connected. 

So, according to that the amp(s) running the mids and tweets would still be running full range since the source signal is not being split high/low before that amp?  That amp would still be amplifying bass to have it rolled off at the OXO?

If by "that amp", you are refering to the amp, that you, as the end user employ, to run the FST and Neos, then yes. 

If it is normally a full range amp to begin with, then it would run full range into the OXO where it would be passively filtered/phased/passed.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2006, 11:43 pm by John Casler »