Your Experience With Wire Size On VMPS RM 40's ?

Marbles

Re: pr
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jun 2006, 02:12 am »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
Marbles:

The RM 40 would be considerably overdamped if you left 8" of putty on the PR.  Most owners end up removing about half the mass during the tuning process.

Brian,  I started with the 8" because that's what they start with (again IIRC), then I tuned from there.  It's been a while and I don't recall how much putty I ended up taking off.  

Any problems I had did not include the bass or midbass.

ka7niq

• Roof Cleaning Tampa FL
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2006, 07:07 am »
Quote from: meilankev
Chris,

As you probably can guess, I've done no head-to-head testing with speaker cable in my system.  And as such, I am in no position to guide you at any with your questions.  Worse yet, I'm not even sure the specific thickness of the cables I bought.

But I am one of those that falls in the "long XLR interconnect / short speaker cable" camp, as each of my two monoblocks sit on the floor right next to the speaker they drive.

Sorry for the lack of information...
Kevin

I fixed the "problem"!!!
I have many sets of speakers, and forgot that when I last unhooked the RM 40's to play with some others, someone, like maybe my son, actually STUCK the leftover putty from each speaker back onto the passive $^&^$$

I was soo peeved when i found out.
I re tuned them, listening and watching the Miami Heat beat the Dallas Mavericks.

When it was obvious Miami was going to win, I played "We are the champions" by Queen!
Freddy Mercury sounded great.

Mike is in trouble Kevin, he is now "up against" my TRT equiped 40's, LOL
I got em sounding the very best they ever have.
I did move em back closer to rear wall a tad, and I spaced em wider apart, firing in front of me.

I need to tune my dual subwoofers, or get rid of them, and buy my buddies Talon Roc ??

Needless to say, the RM 40's now sound great, now that they are no longer overdamped.

I think I will listen to Mike and at least bi amp them with 12 guage, or the 10 guage Belden someone suggested ?
What the heck, it will make my frind Mike happy, and get him of my butt, LOL

Hey, yours are TRT, right ?

I am sure the FST tweeter is better, but the spiral tweeters we all have is no slouch.
It is smooth and detailed and sweet.

I was very fortunate to find a pair of TRT 40's used right here in tampa, and from a great guy too.
Mike and I made another audio buddy!
I jumped right on them.

He sold the RM 40's in favor of big Soundlabs.
Mike, my son, and I all asked to hear em, and they sounded absolutely dreadful.
Hyper detailed, thin, screechy, and bright.
A thin dis en bodied sound, and sounded very strained  when he turned em up.
He sold the Soundlabs, and asked me what i thought of them!
You know me Kevin, thee is not a shy bone in my body.
I don't consider it, "being kind" to mislead an audiophile when I think his system sounds like crap.

I gave him "tough love", he sold em, and bought the big Snells.
He is considering the Quintessence Stealths, but I suggested RM/X's!

I wish he would come hear his old 40's at my house, or hear Mikes ?
I honestly feel he checked out before the miracle happened.

Hey, it's late, and like Casler sez, the weirdo's come out after midnight!

That muscular guy with the bald head in the PM thread to Brian aint Casler, is it  ?

My nurse girlfriend was here looking at me playing on the computer, and saw Casler's picture.
She thought he "looked sexy" with his no hair head, LOL

God forbid she ever see the muscular bald guy, or she might be on the next plane to LA ??

If thats really Casler, he must pump Iron as he listens, LOL

God help me if she ever see's Bongiornio and his famous hats!

meilankev

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2006, 11:58 pm »
Chris,

I'm glad you are getting more and more satisfied - that's really important when folks switch out components.  Congrats!!!!

And yes, my RM40s are equipped with TRTs (with spiral tweeters).

Kevin

ka7niq

• Roof Cleaning Tampa FL
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jun 2006, 03:11 am »
Quote from: meilankev
Chris,

I'm glad you are getting more and more satisfied - that's really important when folks switch out components.  Congrats!!!!

And yes, my RM40s are equipped with TRTs (with spiral tweeters).

Kevin

I  really think the TRT's are better then the Auricaps ?
Mikes Auricaps RM 40's sound good, but seem to be lacking the easy detail of my TRT's ?
I was playing Neil Young, and I could swear the Harmonica was in the room!

I know the FST tweeter is better, or Brian wouldn't have incorporated it, but I sure don't feel "cheated" with my Spiral tweeter.

Are you planning to upgrade your 40's ?
I am.
I am going to get the new mid woofers or the waveguides when availiable.

I trust Brian, and if he comes out with an upgrade, it is because it is an improvement.

Kevin, I was wondering if maybe Brian may come out with a different crossover for us spiral guys, since we are basically stuck, unless we find someone to cut out cabinets for the FST's ?

The FST crosses down at 7 k, and Marty from Bound For Sound sez it makes the speaker better balanced, crossing over lower.
I can't see why the spiral tweeter can't  easily go down to 7 k ?

I also sure hope a waveguide will be availiable for the three of us Tampa guys with RM 40 spirals ?

But, you know what, just as it sits, we all 3 have a world class speaker, so it ain't like we are hurting ?

Did you ever sell the Theils ??

Those were 3.5's, right ?

john1970

Re: Your Experience With Wire Size On VMPS RM 40's ?
« Reply #24 on: 24 Jun 2006, 12:43 pm »
ka7niq,

The Belden cable can often be purchased for less than $0.57 / ft. from a electronics stores.  I go with Bluejeans cable because I support their philosophy and their prices are fair

John Casler

« Reply #25 on: 24 Jun 2006, 04:20 pm »

That muscular guy with the bald head in the PM thread to Brian aint Casler, is it  ?

My nurse girlfriend was here looking at me playing on the computer, and saw Casler's picture.

God forbid she ever see the muscular bald guy, or she might be on the next plane to LA ??

No that is not me.  It is my twin brother.

This is me:

« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2006, 04:51 pm by John Casler »

ka7niq

• Roof Cleaning Tampa FL
« Reply #26 on: 24 Jun 2006, 10:35 pm »

No that is not me.  It is my twin brother.

This is me:

Cool!