VMPS surrounds to big for my room

rblnr

« on: 14 Jan 2005, 02:30 pm »
I've got a pair of TRT/FST RM40's up front w/a TRT/FST LRC in between.

Presently, I've got some Def Tech. BP-1's just behind my listening position as surrounds, which are OK, but not great.

Anyway, the problem is I've got a low ceiling and a smallish room -- I can't really fit 626R's or anything that size for use as surrounds.  And as many of us agree here on the forum, the drivers VMPS uses are pretty unique.

Any suggestions for small speakers that would mate well with my VMPS'?  I may also go 7.1 as my Meridian processor is made for this.

Campindog

« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2005, 02:59 pm »
Can you fit LRC's in the back? Maybe up high?

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2005, 03:01 pm »
The di-pole VMPS speakers hang on the wall and are only 6" deep.

I'm a direct radiator guy though.

Rick Craig will be making me a 3 way in-wall, built on a baffle, using the studs and back wall as the cabinet. They will have the Seas L22 (8" aluminum cone woofer), Morel midrange and Fountek ribbon tweeter. I have high hopes they will tonally mate well with the VMPS speakers.

The best thing would be if BC would provide in wall baffles with the 626 drivers and XO attached.  They would only need a slight reduction of the baffle step and it would be ready to go.....The only difference is the 626 is a rear port design and I would think the in-walls would be a sealed design.
They might not play as low as a normal 626, but side surrounds are normally XO'd to a sub anyway for the low stuff.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2005, 03:38 pm »
Anyone know what the measurements are for the VMPS dipoles?  I'm thinking of selling my rear speakers (currently huge) and replacing with other, smaller speakers.

rblnr

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2005, 06:57 pm »
I'm a direct radiator guy too, but for movies I don't mind bipole types - particularly in my smallish space.  Some manufacturers make switchable bipole/mono or dipole speakers, which makes a lot of sense, particularly if you listen to multichannel music as well.  Probably I'll end up with bipoles on the sides and direct radiators in the rear, going  7.1 for movies and switching out the bipoles for music.

The LRC would be a real bear for me to mount in the back, unfortunately.  I'd really like to find something smaller that provides a decent tonal match.

Used to have five Waveform speakers all around and the seamlessness of the soundfield was stunning.

meilankev

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2005, 01:49 am »
Get the Ribbon Dipoles.  I've had the pleasure of seeing/hearing them in action on one occasion, and this Sunday morning, I get yet another opportunity.  I can't wait.  

In my opinion, someone's Home Theater would have to be very large (> 5000 cu feet) to need "more" speaker for their surrounds than the R-D.  Dynamic as Hell, and a sonic match for any RM-series mains.

Granted, I haven't performed A/B/C tests with the Ribbon Dipoles on how they would stack up versus the 626R and LRC for surround duties.  So, my post is educated guess only.

Kevin

jimmyp58

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2005, 03:44 am »
The ribbon dipoles are absolutely fabulous!

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2005, 05:15 pm »
Here is the VMPS Dipole if you haven't seen it.

brj

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2005, 07:15 pm »
I guess it didn't register with me before, but is there an audio-related reason for the vertically-reversed left and right sides?

Thanks!

cinema&sound

• http://www.cinema-and-sound.com
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2005, 08:56 pm »
Not really an audio reason. The two midrange drivers would not fit in the angled cabinet, if they where mounted in the same horizontal plane. They would hit each other because of their depth.

This speaker is really perfect as a surround in 5.1 and 7.1 surround systems with Dolby Digital sources. Still very good with SACD and DVD audio.

This forum is heavily emphasized to music sources and as such I probably would recommend a 626R as the rear back surrounds. I had a theater room with RM40s, LRC and 4 triad gold surrounds. This was very good on movies, but not AS GOOD on SACD and DVD audio.

I personally would like to see a version of this dipole surround that has these changes:
Flat cabinet, but the same depth. (Not as deep as the 626R)
Same driver configuration as the 626R
Front Ported so they can hang on a wall

I would probably call this a 626R surround.

Just my two cents.
Scott

rblnr

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2005, 01:52 pm »
6" deep -- what is the width and height?

As for a wish list, it would be great if they were switchable to being a direct radiator.

So Triads were OK w/VMPS.  Any other brands people have had good results with?

jimmyp58

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2005, 02:35 pm »
14.5" wide x 27" high

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2005, 06:51 pm »
Quote from: jimmyp58
14.5" wide x 27" high

And if your studs are far enough apart, they can be mounted "partially in-wall".

rblnr

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2005, 12:27 am »
too big for me unfortunately.

rblnr

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2005, 10:53 am »
I'd love something small with the ribbon and FST that rolled off at 60hz or so.  Anyone else have need for this?

Marbles

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2005, 01:01 pm »
Quote from: rblnr
I'd love something small with the ribbon and FST that rolled off at 60hz or so.  Anyone else have need for this?

Yup.  In walls would be even better.  Just a 17" wide baffle with the drivers and XO on it.  It could be very similar to the 626R in every way except  no need for a cabinet (just the baffle) with the XO  attached to the baffle.

The only need in the the XO, is to reduce the baffle compensation to accout for the new mounting.

Otherwise, a 6" deep (but not rear ported) 626R that you could mount on-wall, or in wall would be the berry's.