Yahoooo! MLS VMPS cabinets now shipping

ctviggen

« Reply #40 on: 25 May 2004, 11:28 pm »
I will post some pictures.  I should take some "before" and "after" pictures.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #41 on: 25 May 2004, 11:32 pm »
Rob,

Centered and off center is great!

As for movies, whatever you like.  

Thanks again.

George

Marbles

« Reply #42 on: 29 May 2004, 10:16 pm »
George, I just did some tests using the new ROTK DVD.  I used chapters 2 and 3.  This is where Frodo, Sam and Gallum start off towards Morder and then where everyone else meets up at Isengard.

I had the Ref 50 set to -10

The differences were subtle.  The sound was slightly (in some situations and not at all in others) not anchored as well as when I had a center.

Also when Gollum is off screen left but walking ahead, I could plainly hear his footsteps off to the left with a center.  Without a center, they sort of got jumbled with some of the other footsteps of Sam and Frodo and were not distinct at all.

When I listened off center, again it was subtle, but I did not think some voices were anchored quite as well.

Keep in mind that subtle means just that.  If you don't have a center and don't listen to MC Hi-Rez (SACD/DVD-A) then with the RM40's I don't see a real reason for one (a center channel).

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 29 May 2004, 10:26 pm »
Rob,

Thank you very much for doing the test.  

I had some friends over today and they couldn't believe how good things sounded outside of the center seat without a center channel (I spent two hours this morning with three laser pointers getting the speakers exactly lined up).

Since I have never owned a center channel with the RM 40's, I always wondered how much better it could get.

I think your test results reveal what I was guessing - there would be a small amount of improvement with a center.  

Since I don't listen to MC audio I don't feel the addtional cost would be worth it.

How did you like the movie?  I watched it the other night and enjoyed it.

Thanks again for your help.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #44 on: 1 Jun 2004, 03:50 pm »
What about if you listen to television and the like?  I typically listen to my RPTV through its speakers, but sometimes, I'll turn on all 5 channels of surround sound, particularly if I know I'll watch a DVD.  The center channel does the lion's share of work in this regard.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 1 Jun 2004, 04:03 pm »
Bob,

Come over and you can listen to my "7.1" system without a center channel and decide if it sounds ok.

TV is only different than a movie in that I am using DTS or Dolby EX for a movie and DPL 2 for tv.

BTW, why would you use the crappy speakers from the tv if you have good stereo speakers?

George

Marbles

« Reply #46 on: 1 Jun 2004, 04:06 pm »
In the scenes I tested, most of the sound came form the center channel, so I doubt it would make much difference to my conclusions.

It should also be noted that the center of my 2 channel soundstage is about in the center (depth wise) of my TV.

ctviggen

« Reply #47 on: 1 Jun 2004, 07:09 pm »
George,

I just use the TV speakers because I have to start up a preamp and 7 channels (of which 5 are used) of amplification.  I just think it's a waste sometimes of power, especially since the sound isn't really that much better because the source is so crappy.  Plus, I watch stuff like bike racing and Good Eats, which really don't have much in the way of sound effects suitable for five channel.  Finally, I lost all my Pronto remote files when my hard drive went down, and I haven't had time to reprogram the remote.  So, if I watch TV with surround, there's yet one more remote to find.  For me, I think the no CC/CC debate is moot, because my preamp doesn't have a "no CC" mode.  Consequently, I need a CC.  

Also, how far apart are your RM40s?  Mine will be about 12-14 feet apart, which is quite a big hole to fill.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #48 on: 1 Jun 2004, 07:17 pm »
Bob,

I can't remember exactly (I will measure tonight), but they are somewhere between 12-14' apart.

I can assure you I have no whole in the center.   :lol:

As an interesting experiment, I moved my listening position so that I was very close the the speakers.  To compensate for this, the toe in was changed greatly.  The sound was very, very good.

When I asked Csero why this sounded so good, he said it was b/c you were taking out more of the room interaction in this setup.  While this wasn't a possible setup to use in situation, it was still very interesting to experience.

Why not just use 2 channels of the amp and listen to the tv in stereo?  Unless your amps are Class A, they can't be using that much juice.

George

John Casler

« Reply #49 on: 1 Jun 2004, 08:14 pm »
As an interesting experiment, I moved my listening position so that I was very close the the speakers. To compensate for this, the toe in was changed greatly. The sound was very, very good.

When I asked Csero why this sounded so good, he said it was b/c you were taking out more of the room interaction in this setup. While this wasn't a possible setup to use in situation, it was still very interesting to experience.

A man after my own heart.

As most know I am a "BIG" nearfeild fan.  So near in fact, that some freak out at the listening triangle I set up.

The only consideration with RM40 nearfeild is one might find the "sonic director" also helps upper bass dynamics, but it is personal preference and program material.