Yahoooo! MLS VMPS cabinets now shipping

John Casler

« on: 14 May 2004, 02:19 am »
Well after many delays (beyond our control) the MLS cabinets (sample order) arrived and have been shipping this week.

I hope to see some photos of these popping up here over the next few weeks.

Much to my chagrin,  :( we only received a single pair of African Ebony RM40s and it had been "presold" to a client of mine (Trevor send pics when you can, let me at least enjoy your pair :mrgreen: )

But I will be getting one of the AE pairs of 626Rs (tomorrow I think) :mrgreen:   Man am I ever excited.  :bounce:

While many of these were "presold" there still are a few left.

I think we have the following:

Piano Black:  1 pr RM40s 1 pr 626Rs, and one LRC
African Ebony: 1 pr 626Rs and one LRC
Rosewood: 1 pair RM40s, 1 pair 626R and one LRC

Since B has found the cabinets everything he expected them to be, the second order is being placed.

Theoretically it will look like this: (manufacturing time + 15 days on the water + 5 days in port/customs + travel time to VMPS + build/breakin time + ship time to you).

I offer this formula just so everyone has a timing idea.

So I would suggest "grabbing" (talk to your dealer, Big B, or me) what "is" available.  I already have 2 preorders for 2 pairs of BCSE RM40s in African Ebony.

Also these MLS cabinets come in "wooden crates" which does add a bit extra to your shipping, but gets them there safer.

In case you forgot what they look like, here are a couple cabinet shots

Please note that "all" these cabinets are "premium finishes", BUT....it appears they are also finished on the backs!!!

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
mls
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2004, 02:54 am »
The Mark Shifter cabinets seem to be built from what we would call HDF.  The empty RM40 cabinet from Mark is about 25# heavier than Sal's RM 40's and on a par with Dorne's heavily braced RM 40's.  

We will stock ebony and rosewood, piano black lacquer (10 coats, hand wet-sanded inbetween), cherry, lite and dark oak, and utility(black paint over  HDF or unfinished.)

All the Shifter cabinets arrived in custom-built wood crates which add 20# to their shipping weight (50 lbs in the case of the RM 40).

I will point out now (and forever be silent later) that the Chinese cabinets are not cheaper for us than, say, Bud Bailey's, but they offer unique finishes and a high level of hand polishing.  They look fabulous.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2004, 03:22 am »
I have to say, I typically don't like Rosewood but those are quite stunning.  I am the one audiophile that goes against the 'grain' and prefers mahogany over all other veneers.  Natural Cherry is close second.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2004, 03:33 am »
I really like the look of the African Ebony!   :thumb:

George

brj

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2004, 03:40 am »
Mark's new cabinets look great!  Any pictures of a cherry veneered speaker?

So which cabinet makers are going to produce which models of VMPS speakers?  Is each speaker line going to be made exclusively by one cabinet maker (which might be important to some people when ordering)?

LRC = MLS, ?
RM1 = ?
RM2 = ?
626 = MLS, ?
RM30 = MLS, ?
RM40 = MLS, ?
RM/X = ?

Thanks!

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
cabs
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2004, 05:06 am »
Bud Bailey at VIP does great work but won't build the RM40, too big.

Mark Shifter will build anything except the RM/X, but the lead times are long.  

Dorne is making the RM/X and piano black lacquer RM 40's.  He's not interested in doing small boxes.

For now it's a troika.  The combination of many models and many finishes makes the old inventory bulge, but things look good right now.  Most finishes are good matches for each other.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2004, 07:51 pm »
WOW!! :o

The African Ebony, Auric Cap and New Meg-Woofer Equipped, MLS 626R finally arrived and they are beauties!!!!

The cabinetry is now "World Class" which no one can complain about.

I think mine are the ones in the shot above, but in my subdued lighting, they appear darker.

Let me make one "special point" again.  These cabinets are finished on "EVERY" side including the back!!! (how many times can I use the exlaimation)

I have taken some pictures and will try to post them tomorrow since I am swamped today.

They arrive in sturdy wooden crates (which as mentioned before add to the shipping a bit, but are definately more protective than cardboard cartons.

These 626Rs are now competitive with many speakers costing 5 times the price.

I set them up and fired up the MiniMax CDP.  Every thing was coming from the right speaker :evil:  :evil:   My heart sunk. Damn :x  I thought one of the speakers had been damaged somehow in shipping (but how? the crates were very intact)

I checked the speaker connections and then

KAPOW!!! stupid me hadn't reconnected one of the preamp outputs to the amp after showing it to a client the day before :oops:  :oops:

So now I fired up the old reference discs.  It was now working beautifully.  Only playing each cut long enough to hear the specific portions that told me where the differences lie.

Well guys, I have to say that I loved the sound of my stock (well broken in "STOCK" 626Rs with FST) but the addition of the Auricaps, the New Mega-Woofers, and the more solid HDF MLS cabinet was clear, even 30 minutes into the CD.

I don't have the time to explain all now, but if you have recently ordered 626Rs for your main speakers and didn't get Auricaps, call your dealer or Big B, and add them in.

You "CAN" hear the difference.  I can't wait for these things to break in :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2004, 05:30 pm »
Ok here are some quick pictures of the new VMPS MLS 626R in African Ebony.

First, they arrive in a wooden crate:

Then after coming out of the crate and cardboard box they are in a black plastic cocoon

And here they are after being placed in postition:

Please excuse my photographic and compositions skills but these speakers are absolutley gorgeous!!! :inlove:

pjchappy

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2004, 05:34 pm »
Those do look good, despite your best efforts to take a bad picture.   :lol:

Does Brian have black foam instead of that grey stuff?

p

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2004, 05:44 pm »
John,

What sub is that next to the 626?  I thought your were using a Larger, but that doesn't look like my Largers.

BTW, what is the list price of the 626 as per your configuration.

George

pjchappy

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2004, 05:48 pm »
George, that is the older model of the Larger, I believe.

p

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2004, 07:56 pm »
Quote from: zybar
John,

What sub is that next to the 626?  I thought your were using a Larger, but that doesn't look like my Largers.

BTW, what is the list price of the 626 as per your configuration.

George

Yes my sub is of the "previous" "Tall Boy" type.  Brian has since gone to the "Low Boy" as per yours.

My speakers were "retail priced" as follows:

626Rs = $1598
FST tweet = $400
SoundCoat = $150
Auric Cap = $550
New 6.5" Woofs = $140
African Ebony finish = $400
===============
Total list = $3238

Even as they break in, I am quite taken back by the "quality of tone" over my previous pair which were remarkable themselves.

I think the combination of Auric Caps and the stiffer HDF (high density fiberboard) are the reason.

Of particular note are the "low listening level" abilities.  I have never heard anything sound as "complete" at low listening levels as this speaker/sub combo. (before that, it was my previous pair of 626Rs).

Even playing at 60-75 db, the bass is rich, full, deep and tight, and the highs crystal clear, with midrange "tone" that goes the extra step.

And the integration with the Sub is flawlessly seemless.  Using some of Dr HSU's Bass reference cuts, (like Roy Montford and Bela Fleck) even at a very low level is a real treat. :mrgreen:

mlschifter

• http://www.av123.com
Hi Gang...
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2004, 01:43 am »
I want to thank Big B, John and everyone else for being so very patient with us... please allow me to add this...

THE FIRST TIME IS ALWAYS THE MOST PAINFUL...  :D

Now that we have everything in place (jigging etc.) the new orders will move much faster... In factory time for anything up to 200 cabinets is under 3 weeks right now...  :)

Thanks one and all... and we look forward to the next steps...

Brian and John... a HUGE Thank You for being the kind and patient gentlemen that you are...

All the best...

mls

grub

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2004, 05:46 am »
Those are some tasty looking speakers, keep up the good work all!

I know that my next speaker upgrade will feature one of these premium finishes, but for now, the Elmers signature PR will have to suffice ; )
-->grub

John Casler

Re: Hi Gang...
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2004, 02:24 pm »
Quote from: mlschifter
I want to thank Big B, John and everyone else for being so very patient with us... please allow me to add this...

THE FIRST TIME IS ALWAYS THE MOST PAINFUL...  :D

Now that we have everything in place (jigging etc.) the new orders will move much faster... In factory time for anything up to 200 cabinets is under 3 weeks right now...  :)

Thanks one and all... and we look forward to the next steps...

Brian and John... a HUGE Thank You for being the kind and patient gentlemen that you are...

All the best...

mls

Hi Mark,

Well you certainly worked your magic on these babies. :D

I would be hard pressed to find a cabinet that equals the workmanship in these.

And while I can't say for certain that the "stiffer" MDF (HDF) makes a difference in the sound (since I also added Auric Caps to my 626Rs), I can say that, as good as my former 626Rs sounded and performed (and they were fantastic) these are better.

My first inclination is to call the improvement "tonal" in nature.  Every sound we hear has a tone.  This is not only the frequency of the sound, but all the supporting "over and under tones" in the right proportion.

If a musical note is played, it has an intricate supporting structure of these harmonics interacting to make the "tone".

It is also not just the production of these harmonics, but the ability of the speaker to create the leading edge (impact/rise time) of the sound and the decay of the over/undertones.

Specific improvements to the drive chain can improve the signal the drivers receive, but also the cabinet and its "reaction" to the speakers movement plays an incredible role in the "subtle" detail of this delicate balance.

I have to say that the Auric Caps everytime I have heard them, offer an improvement to this "quality", but it must also be recognized that the stiffness and weight (yes the new cabinets are a little heavier) play a key role in this improvement.

The tone is clearer, cleaner, and richer (I like rich sounding speakers)

The twang of a string, the raw, metalic, brassiness of a horn, the meaty, defined, 3-D quality to the bass line is somethig to be experienced.

And one other improvement is that of "impact" and energy to the  upper midbass.  This too is affected by the reactive qualities of the cabinet.  As the woofer moves back and forth in the enclosure (even with a port) the air pressure in the cabinet rises and falls, which causes the walls of the cabinet to react.

Also the reactive force of momentum of the woofer cone places an actual physical force (push/pull) on the cabinet baffle, literally moves the speaker!!! :o

Now these are not "all" the forces, but they are two of the ones that affect the sound the most.

So the point is that the new MLS cabinets are a step to better sound of what is already a most incredible speaker.

I heard the Wilson Watt Puppies yesterday on a system that must have been in the $60k range.  No doubt they sounded good, but I would be hard pressed to begin to compare them sonically with what I have right here.

While the source used was a very expensive TT/Cart/Arm with some super tube pre and power stages, the resulting sound as good as it was did not sound nearly as good.

The Bass while solid, was not 3-D.  The mids were pure, but had little depth, and the highs while there, were reticent overall.

So as I said it is hard to compare, since I didn't use any digital reference material to "really" hear a more direct comparison, but I wouldn't suggest spending the extra $15K

In any event, thanks Mark, the cabinets not only look as good as expected, they "sound" incredible too! :mrgreen:

mlschifter

• http://www.av123.com
Appreciate this...
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2004, 03:03 pm »
Thanks John...

I'm not surprised by any of this... Another "name" manufacturer that does not want our name revealed... JUST told me the same thing...  :) He says he their speakers sound "tighter and more controlled in the bottom" than ever before...

I'm also not surprised by Big B. kindly posting the weight differences... This is cool... and as I mentioned to you guys back at "The Lunch Pow Wow" we use a "quality" of MDF that is well beyond what most "production houses" use... Just like Medite is available in various grades... so true is MDF...

Glad you like... ('cause we like you)... and the team in China was charged to hear this news...

More later... on with the day...

All the best...

mls

WG

« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2004, 03:15 am »
John,

Are you using the NHT crossover for 626R and Larger sub?

Regards,
Will

John Casler

« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2004, 05:25 pm »
Quote from: WG
John,

Are you using the NHT crossover for 626R and Larger sub?

Regards,
Will

Hi Will,

Yes, I use the NHT X-2.  I have been basically running the 626Rs "full range" and "blending" the LARGER in the 40-50Hz range for a very good result.

I recently picked up a couple sets more AudioQuest Cheetahs to allow me to run the 626Rs from the X-2 also, but in switching to the new 626Rs, I didn't want to try and evaluate a "system in change".

So after I get a handle on how the system sound in its present state, I'll hook up the 626Rs to run through the X-2 and maybe limit them to 50Hz or so.

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2004, 06:56 pm »
John,
Can you clarify something.  

Looking closely at your pics, it seems upon close inspection that the woofer is a little sunk into the hole, as if the hole cut-out is a teensy too wide in diameter.   See the whiteness of the wood contrasted with the woof?.......

WG

« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2004, 07:10 pm »
John,

Thanks.  I look forward to your views on the differences running full range with blended Largers versus crossing the 626's to the Largers.  The cabinets look very, very nice in the pictures.  Maybe you can get Mark to do a pair of matching Larger cabinets for you, though it may be tough doing a custom finish for the mass loading barbells. :wink:

Regards,
Will