Need a cap

timind

• permanent vacation
Need a cap
« on: 4 Nov 2015, 03:20 pm »
I want to replace a pair of caps in my crossover and am not exactly sure what to order. I was going to contact Sonic Craft directly through the web site but didn't see a means to attach pics. Below is a pic of the cap in question, it's the 5.6uf cap with the odd "S" on it. Hoping Jeff will advise what I should order. Thanks.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
Re: Need a cap
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2015, 03:59 pm »
That is a Solen.  What is your goal...why are you replacing it?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2015, 05:07 pm »
Thanks for the response Jeff,

I've owned these speaker for quite a while now but when I originally purchased them They were delivered with the crossover hanging out. Back then I stuffed all the parts back in and tied them to a piece of peg board.
My goal now is to remove all the parts and place them in the speaker in a neater manner. This will require desoldering and resoldering all of the parts back in. I'm afraid the leads on these caps won't survive. I'm hoping to find replacement caps so I can get them back together in a neat package.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2015, 05:11 pm »
Here's an old pic of crossover the way it was delivered.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2015, 06:35 pm »
Gotcha.  You are not looking for sonic improvement, but rather improvements for the implementation?

I do not carry Solens, but plenty of other vendors do, so that is an option.  My forte is improving the sonic characteristics of specific audio applications.  That is the rationale behind our parts offering.  With that said, the part I offer that would be comparable and slightly more refined is:http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/mundorf-mcap-evo-56uf-450vdc-p-4149

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2015, 08:31 pm »
Thanks again Jeff,

Just ordered the recommended caps along with a couple resistors. I hope to get this xover laid out neatly and efficiently. Your help here is a real value to A/C.  :thumb:

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2015, 09:52 pm »
Thank you for your kind words, and your order  :D